“Great location had a nice stay” 4 of 5 stars

Onix Liceo
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nou de la Rambla 36, 08001 Barcelona, Spain (El Raval)   |
Ranked #249 of 514 Hotels in Barcelona
Cairo, Egypt
“Great location had a nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights at onix liceo..i read a lot of other reviews about the air conditioner so i was really worried we got our room the air conditioner wasnt that good so we asked for a change and they were helpful and changed our room..we had 2 other couples with us their rooms were fine too..the main disadvantage is that the walls are supee thin u feel u r living with people in the next room..another thing most rooms have twin beds that they stick together ror couples that was really annoying...
Other than that the location was excellent minutes walking to the port and placa catalunya..staff were friendly specially i guy called Adrian was really helpful..free apples coffee and water..rooms were clean.. I had good time overall my stay i would recommend this hotel :)

Room Tip: Choose a back or high floor room mine was in the middle no outside view but a bit bigger
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
hotelsonix, Operations Manager at Onix Liceo, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
We really appreciate your opinion about the hotel, we are open to all the comments because they help us improve. We hope to have you back with us soon Thank you very much

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
St Helens, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I took my Mum for 3 day city break to Barcelona for her 60th... The Onix Liceo is in a great location, just off La Rambla, a stones throw away from the market, 5 minutes walk to port vell, 2 minute walk to all the restaurants and nightlife in the Gaudi designed square and 10 minutes walk to the Placa de Cataluna. Having been pre-warned about pick pockets and tramps in Barcelona, I was apprehensive with it being just me and Mum however we both felt completely safe at all times and as everything was in such close proximity it was perfect. The hotel is clean, modern, and no fuss. Check in was quick (be prepared to pay approx £7 tourist tax upon check in), the room was clean and had most amenities. The only criticism would be that there needs to be a room safe. They do offer a safe behind reception for 5 Euro per day but things would feel safer in your room, however we worked around it. Staff were helpful and if you speak to reception about trips they can often gove you discount by purchasing with them. Overal the hotel is great value for money. Tips: Do the open top bus tour... we did the Red and Blue route in one day and got off at the Segrada Familia and Monjuic. Go to the Segrada Familia for when it opens otherwise you'll queue for ages. If you want to visit more places though you will need two days. Also if you want to go to the beach get the number 59 bus from la rambla it only costs 2 Euros per person each way and drops you off right at the beach. Make sure you traet yourself to Churros and Chocolate during your stay and the tapas restaurant in the left hand bottom corner of the square is lovely... plus they serve ice cold Damm Lemon beer.

Room Tip: We were in room 303 and it was lovely and quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
We really appreciate your comments, because they help us to continue improving in order to be able to give every day a better quality service. We hope to have you back with us soon"
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

If you expect all the usual hotel boxes to be ticked with cold efficiency, you might be a little disappointed (no safe or tea/coffee making facilities in the rooms).

If you want a hotel that oozes character, peace, relaxation and comfort, you will adore it. The common areas are gorgeous, the staff were extremely helpful and gave you the space to feel like you were in your own private place. There is free water, iced tea, and hot drink making facilities in the main seating area with space and freedom to feel like you can properly relax.

Contrary to other reviews, the air conditioning was perfect and we had no issues at all. The location is pretty much perfect. Just off Ramblas and everything you would need is within walking distance,

Overall, we will definitely going back, and I can't wait....

Room Tip: Our double room had twin beds pushed together.. I don't know whether they all are, so if this is...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
We really appreciate your feedback about the hotel, they help us to continue improving in order to be able to give every day a better quality service. We hope to have you back with us soon"
East Midlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I stayed on my own at the hotel for five nights towards the end of July for work reasons. I was in room 204 for one night, but it was so hot - and the staff didn't seem to be able to fix the completely ineffective air conditioning - that they moved me to 208 the next night. [I was also offered room 201, but 201 doesn't even have a window!!!] It was very slightly cooler in 208, but not much better, but because the hotel was full I had to put up with it for the remainder of my stay. It was really uncomfortable - particularly at night, and I had to have regular cold showers because of the heat in the room.

Barcelona in July is obviously very hot (it was around the low 30s), so I'm amazed that a hotel that charges well over 100 euros a night for a single does not provide effective air conditioning. The first night I asked the hotel staff if they could provide me with a fan. They said they didn't keep fans in the hotel because this hadn't been a problem before. But - after seeing other reviews complaining about how hot the rooms are - I see that this is untrue. i asked if I could buy a fan and be reimbursed by the hotel, but I was told that the receptionist couldn't get hold of the manager, and so wouldn't be able to guarantee that I would be reimbursed. When I checked out, I wasn't offered any kind of discount or compensation.

The positives are what other reviewers have already said: the location is good (and I was fine with the street); the hotel is in quite a nice, gently quirky under-stated style; water, coffee, iced tea and apples are provided free of charge; the pool area (although v small) looked nice [although I didn't use it.]

The negatives [apart from ineffective air conditioning] are: the breakfast is limited; all three rooms I saw were small and had twin (instead of double) beds; and as other reviewers have repeatedly said there is no safe in the room, which is very annoying and surprising in a hotel charging this rate.

I wouldn't come back to this hotel. Good air conditioning - or at least a fan - is essential for a good night's sleep when it's 30 degrees+.

Room Tip: Tricky one - all three rooms I saw (204, 208 and 201) were small: the first two had poor air con, an...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Unfortunately we have not been able to accomplish your expectations, nevertheless we will bear on mind some of your suggestions towards the main goal of upgrading and offering a better attenttion to our guests. We are grateful about your feedback
Roma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

There is nothing that I did not like during my stay at this hotel. Staff was friendly and spoke good English, the room was spacious and extremely clean. All in all, great value.

I liked that we had free water,even before we checked in and after we checked out. The location is great, did not feel unsafe.

I would love to return there at some point.

Room Tip: The room which is just on the top of the lounge ( where the fridge with water and apples is) is real...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Nice hotel, clean and good looking design. Great location, 20 minutes of walk to the beach and 10 minutes to Plaza Catalun.
Pool area (could have been more furnitures out there). If you are looking for a cool sleep during summer I recommend another hotel as the capacity of the AC seems to be under dimensioned ( when we where in Barcelona it was around low 30's Celcius)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your feedback, have no doubt that we will take care of those details you mention and surely will improve, once again thanks and hope to have you with us again soon.

Been to Onix Liceo? Share your experiences!