“Exceptional” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 703 Specialty Lodging in Barcelona
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Exceptional”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I used to stay at 4-5 star hotels only. This time decided to experience a new dimension and got lucky. Best customer service, nice breakfast and good location - there is nothing I can complain about. My three days stay in Barcelona was amazing and with this hostel I have only positive memories. It's just a cosy and friendly place in the heart of magnificent Barcelona where you can have rest and meet people from all around the Globe!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Korean first
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

My friends and I had a wonderful experience at Free Hostels. The rooms are cozy (the 4-bed room was a bit on the small side) but space is maximized with plenty of storage, and the common area is lovely. The decor is fresh and bright, and the staff is very helpful. The location is not in city center, but my friends and I didn't mind the walk to the metro, and we enjoyed the neighborhood. All told, the environment there was very friendly and we had a great stay!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Zagreb, Croatia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

This hostel is rather new and it is visible, since they are continually improving and upgrading their services. Although it is just a hostel, it maintains some services as if it was a hotel, especially cleaning.

Common room consists of two parts separated by a bar and a cupboard/bookcase, so it is not wide open space for large groups. WiFi is good (crashed only once, after midnight, during 5 nights we stayed there), but there are no computers you can use for surfing on the premises.

Rooms are light and spacious and every 4 and 6 beds room has its own bathroom, on the opposite wall of the corridor. I was in a double bedroom that had real ensuite bathroom and a two mattresses bed. There are no cupboards, but there are 4 large drawers under the bed (although two can't be opened unless the night stand is not moved away)
Double bedroom also has a wide screen TV on the wall that can also be used for internet access.

Bathroom is large and cleaned daily! Soap dispensers and hairdryer are included. Only drawback is that double bedroom shower does not have a shower cabin, but only a curtain, so floor was wet after use (Other bathrooms have regular shower cabins) Bathroom also head seat in the shower and handle for disabled or elderly guests.

Breakfast is long, lasts until 11, and food was replenished even for late arrivals. It is buffet with muffins, toast, cheese, ham, sausages, jams, nutella, various cereals, etc. Orange juice and fruits are included.
Free tea and coffee are available through the day.

Location is a bit away from a center, but it is only 3 blocks (five minutes walk) from the Entenca metro station and some 10 to 15 minutes of walk from the railway station (Sants-Estacio) that has direct train line to the airport. So, most of the city sights are within 20 minutes of traveling.
Whole area is filed with restaurants and cafés, and there are two general stores next to the hostel and across the street.

Marco, one of the owners is on the location every morning and tries to give personal touch to the place making everybody feel welcome, and taking care for problems.

Towels (thick, soft, and large) are available for rent for a 2 Euro fee.
There is a laundry machine and a dryer available, for a fee of few euros per use.
Interesting detail, keycards have a form of differently colored rubber wristbands, so you don't have to worry where you put it.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

What I like:
- Bed with blind curtains – it means you have privacy and good sleep
- Ample storage with locks
- Socket for every bed
- Bump bed with stair at the back – I don’t feel I sleep on bump bed
- Clean tidy room with bed sheet changing without extra charge
- Ladies shared bed room in Barcelona is rare – extremely good for solo traveler
- Self served kitchen & breakfast
- Stylist modern design with Arts everywhere – I love the painting on my bed and on the walls in particular!
- Helpful staff with hints for local gems – I didn’t plan my trip at all before arrival. This is extremely helpful!
- Location is in residential area, if you like to experience local life, this is the place

This is a totally new concept of hostel indeed. It’s more like 2nd home outside home. I’d rather call this “Homstel”

This is actually first time writing a review because I am really surprised by this hostel. This is totally different from my last experience living in a hostel of the similar setting – shared room for 6 girls.

Lucky enough to have a chat with one of the owners Marco on the last day here, he explained to me his concept and it actually aligned with the experience I had before I met him. I believe there will be continuous development to look forward to Free Hostel. I do plan to visit Barcelona again and stay here again.

If you ask me what I really want to point out, it's located at a residential area. I personally like it staying outside touristy locations as I can get more local feel. But if you are looking for a location super close to touristy area, this may not the place.

非常推的一家旅舍, 因為…
- 每張床都有擋光窗簾 - 隱私很高而且可以安心睡個好
- 充足的存儲空間, 可以放一個大行李箱, 還有雜物儲存位置
- 每張床都有自己的插座
- 設計特別的上下架床, 上落不用爬小梯 - 不覺得我睡在上格床呢!
- 乾淨整潔的房間,床單有更換,無需額外付費
- 共享的女生大床房在巴塞羅是罕見的 – 適合我這種獨自旅行的女孩子
- 簡單又豐足的早餐, 廚房也是十分乾淨好用, 自己想下廚也很方便
- 室內設計很有fu, 而且滿有藝術氣色 – 特別喜歡床邊牆壁上的畫!
- 員工友善, 還幫我找了好些地道的美食! – 對於沒有計劃行程的我很有用呢!
- 地點是在居民區,如果你想體驗當地的生活,這是地方

覺得這是一個全新概念的旅舍。它更像是第二個家外之家。

其實,這是我第一次寫review,因為我真的被這家旅館驚訝。這跟我上次住的完全是兩個世界!

幸運地最很一天與館主Marco聊天,他解釋了他的概念,這跟我體驗到的完全對齊。我相信未來這家旅舍會有不斷發展。我打算再次訪問巴塞羅那,還要再住在這兒呢!

如果你問我什麼要點出來,它位於一個住宅區。我個人比較喜歡住在這種位置,可以感受多一點當地生活。但是,如果你正在尋找一個在旅遊觀光區的旅館,這要坐幾個地鐡站才到各大觀光點.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

I came in a group of 4 friends and we shared a room with a private bathroom. I am so happy we stayed here; better than a hotel! There were families and older couples that stayed in the hostel, too. The staff were super friendly, helpful, and aimed to please. The rooms were so comfy and clever use of space: plenty of drawers, bunk beds tall enough to sit up straight, very clean room, the bathroom had soap gel for both hands and shower, paper towels in bathroom, great AC, VERY SECURE. You have to pay for your own body towel, but there is free breakfast! Nice couch to chill on if you can't stand being in the room. Pretty nice location: closest metro is 8 minute walk away, but very safe and across from a great fruit shop. I heard there is an elevator, but couldn't see it. Might need to take stairs.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

Usually I prefer Hotels because my needs, looking for a design one and wow. When I have found some info of this one I was surprised about the nowaday Technology of the facilities. My room was compf and spacious and wow were the people at work! Marco, with his italian style in hospitality was always there in order to find a solution to my needs, because it was my first time in da city! Breakfast was rich and fresh! Located very close to the transportations, I will come back for sure for my next visit in Barcelona, so I fully suggest to u all to live and share my WOW experience had! Thanks Marco and hope to see you soon!

• Stayed June 2014
Dijon, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

I spent 2 days in this Hostel and I must to say that it's an awesome new Hostel !
The place is clean, rooms are calm even if you take a room of 6 people. You can isolate yourself with your own curtain in front of your bed ...
The decoration is realised by local artists in Barcelona.
I met the owner and her partner who explained to me their goals about the Hostel, guys are open minded and don't hesitate to help you to have any advice about the place, the city ...
Actually it's such a good place to enjoy your trip !

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Been to Free Hostels? Share your experiences!