Barcelona City North is a perfectly good place to stay if all you're looking for is a bed in a clean room for an affordable price. Just don't expect anything even remotely close to a romantic ambience, as it has zero charm. Its long hallway, fluorescent lights and strong smell of disinfectant feels more like a well-mantained prison or hospital.
Our room felt like a small and extremely bare but practical cell. The bed was comfortable enough and there was a very tiny, flat-screen TV hanging from the ceiling. It was also fairly quiet, thanks to thick, soundproof glass door and windows. A wi-fi connection was included for free, but didn't always work wonderfully. The bathroom had a decent size and worked well. The only danger here is that you might start feeling like a lab rat if you hang around for too long. We stayed in other simple, even cheaper hostels in Spain, but this one felt particularly cold and sterile.
Barcelona City North is conveniently located in the Sant Gervasi neighborhood. Its immediate surroundings aren't exactly captivating, but the hostel is only a short distance away from the subway and the much more charming and happening neighborhood of Gracia. Several very average cafes outside serve coffee, tortilla and bread, but for a proper meal you'll be better off heading over to Gracia. In any case, I much prefer Sant Gervasi than the rowdier and dirtier old part of town (Gothic Quarter, Raval).
The staff, who speak English, only remain at the hostel until 5pm every day. If you plan to arrive after that time, it's important that you contact them about it, or you might find yourself outside, figuring out how to enter and looking in vain for a pay phone, like we did. This issue was supposedly adressed in an email sent by them, but I checked and found no explanation of the sort. Be warned.
Barcelona is expensive compared to much of Spain, especially in the summer. So honestly, even though this place felt somewhat bleak, I don't really know whether you can find a more attractive accomodation for the same price.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelona City North Hotel
- Barcelona City North Hotel Barcelona
- Barcelona City North Catalonia
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Hostel Barcelona City North!Barcelona City North is located in the northern center of Barcelona, on the border of the districts of Eixample, Gracia and Sarria-Sant Gervasi.Our hostel offers you all the conveniences that interest you in a hostel in Barcelona with an excellent value for money. It is an ideal accommodation for those visiting Barcelona for tourism, business, for medical reasons… We will do our best to make you feel at home.¡Bienvenido al Hostal Barcelona City North! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with T4B, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, HostelBookers, Tingo, HostelWorld, TripOnline SA, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Hotels.com, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Barcelona City North reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.