“Horrible place” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #351 of 706 Specialty Lodging in Barcelona
Timisoara, Romania
“Horrible place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

We staied there one week, and after first looking around I understood that cannot be something worst than this place named pension. The room is very small and smell terrible, the bed is not good for sleeping, the walls full of messages from previouse customers who staied there many years ago.
Is a very noisy place where the staff don't have respect for customers, care only to take your money when you arrive and nothing else, workers all day long make noise changing some doors in the building and everybody speak very loud.
The only good of this place is the hot water at the showers, nothing else.
Many stairs, I think 5 floors, is very tiring every day if you want to go out many times.
The city is very beautiful, if I will go again for sure I will never stay in Pension Villanueva

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Liverpool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

I stayed here for 2 nights by myself, while visitng friends in Barcelona. The hostal is very centrally placed in Placa Reial, just off the Ramblas, and handy for the Gothic Quarter. My room was small and dark, with old, basic furniture, but it was clean. I was very pleased to get an ensuite single for under 40 euros a night in such a good location.

There seemed to be a lot of renovation work underway at the hostal, so perhaps the rooms are being upgraded. There's probably nothing they can do about the stairs, though! It is a serious climb to get to the hostal, so don't even think of staying here if you have any walking difficulties.

In short, this is certainly a no frills option, but if you just want someone to sleep and shower before hitting the town, it does the job.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Thessaloniki
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

This hostel reminds me a lots of good memories..I stayed over for 8 nights and I felt safe and comfortable.Ok it was noisy but it was my choice..If I wanted a quiet place I wouldn't choose Las Ramblas..It was cheap and clean..As I wanted and expected.Thank you for the hospitality and the good feeling I had after the checked out..

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2007

Me and my friend arrived in Barcelona 12th June for the Sonar festival. After a total disaster with the hotel we had booked (they had overbooked and told us there was nothing they could do, leaving two girls homeless in Barcelona). Anyway, after about 5 hours at tourist information, they managed to find us a hostel for 3 nights, then this pension for the remaining four nights. When we arrived on the 15th June, it all seemed ok, the room was a reasonable size but very, very outdated and smelled musty. The bed was like foam, the water didn't drain down the plugs and the noise from outside was mad. But, it was cheap so I didn't expect anymore. On the sunday night (my birthday) we invited two of our best friends round who were also there for Sonar. At 11pm, we were sitting in the room having a little drink and a laugh and listening to some music through really small speakers form my ipod. The noise outside from Las Ramblas and the square could drown ever the loudest of noises at that time. The owner then procceed to burst in the room shouting...NO BOYS, NO DRINK, NO MUSIC and threw us all out. When me and my friend arrived back my ipod was missing. The owner denied all knowledge and kept looking at me in a discusted way. When I asked if he could post me the ipod if it was found he simply said 'no'. It was never returned. We felt so unsafe for the rest of the time we were there. As we were leaving, the owner said 'missing your ipod?' and gave a horrible laugh. Don't ever, ever go to this place, especially if its just girls. If this isn't enough to put you off, then maybe the cockroach my friend found in the shower will be

• Liked — good location but noisy
  • Disliked — horrible staff, 4 flights of stairs, no lift, roon not cleaned once
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Wakefield, Yorkshire, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2007

We did Barcelona on the cheap.... very cheap! The room 123 Euros for 2 nights.... absolutely superb value. Yes it's up 4 (maybe 7) flights of stairs look for the P* sign! It was clean.... there was a bit of mould above the shower, the bed seemed like a camp bed but was surprisingly comfortable. Absolutely No Frills, barely the basics!

We had a Ramblas View/Balcony.... magnificent (see pictures). Located in the heart of the centre of tourism of the city. Metro 20m, Catalunya 300m, Port Vell 300m, Cathedral, 300m even the Erotica Museum 50m. Tapas bars coming out of your ears!! and trust me the tapas does come out of your ears... wonderful.

Yep.... it's noisy, but what do you expect in such a location.... Sunday night the noise stopped at 4am Monday night... it didn't stop! We slept fine... just gotta be used to noise!!

Not for a quiet relaxing holiday... just for people used to noise... not bothered about sleep or just like a bit of alcohol to get you to the land of nod! It's hustle and bustle... and very busy in April expect it crowded in the summer. (like London)

• Liked — Price!! If you just want a roof over your head after seeing the sights - Fantastic!!
  • Disliked — Stairs!! - But Beers make it easier!!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Taipei, Taiwan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2007

[--]
Stayed there for 3 nights in early Feb 2007 since we had problem finding a real hotel due to the mobile phone conference in town.

location is great but you need to walk up to 4 floor with your luggages to get to the reception. very noisy at night if your room is facing the street. traffic and drunk men yelling till 5 am. It looks clean but still has smell. We killed a big roach in our room one night.

Sugges you read the review on the above page before you make your decision.

Stayed February 2007

Been to Pension Villanueva? Share your experiences!