“Great room but staff were unfriendly and too busy” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carrer de Pelai, 28, 8001 Barcelona, Spain (El Raval)   |
Ranked #141 of 514 Hotels in Barcelona
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Glasgow
“Great room but staff were unfriendly and too busy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Stayed here in August. Room itself was great - massive bed, great shower. Location was also good. 2 minutes from an underground station and very close to tourist attractions. We had pre paid for the room but when we came to check out we were told it hadn't been paid for. We told the receptionist (Monica) that we had checked out credit card statement and it had been paid for but she was insistent and quite rude. We paid again as we were worried about missing our flight. Contacted the hotel about a refund and received no response. Luckily we had booked through a third party site who were very good at resolving our complaint.

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Rochford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

We had a poor welcome and were informed that we should speak to a lady at a desk who was pleasant but we had to hunt for the lifts and find our room. The hotel was rather confusing with staircases up and down. We found our room and terrace and could not believe that the photo on the internet was so different. The room was dark and dingy with an 'open plan bathroom' in the hall which had 2 cubicles - one for the toilet, one for the shower plus the terrace was small and had ONE chair and a stool plus a small coffee table and two chairs. As there were two of us, we found this strange. My husband was really disappointed and shocked at the money he was going to be charged for this. We asked for a new room and were given one without a terrace which was pleasant and cheaper. The pool was small and crowded and the bar cramped.The restaurant was quiet but the food excellent and very reasonably priced. However, when we came to pay the bill, the reception staff gave us a bill for the terraced room and needed to be reminded that we'd changed. They were unfriendly and cold towards us. In fact, we found this the case on entering the hotel but the restaurant staff seemed nicer. We cut short our stay and found better accommodation elsewhere. A shame as we'd been looking forward to staying there.

Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Just came back from a weekend in Barcelona. the Hotel was excellent, with very good location (close to La ramplas and the Plaça de catalonia. the hotel facilities were very good. nice rooms,very good breakfest, the hotel staff were very nice. will come back to this hotel.

Alcala De Henares, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I travel to Barcelona often for work and have stayed in about 10 different hotels, and this is so far my number one choice for when I go back there.
I have stayed in this hotel twice in July 2012 and I could not find any faults. I was a business traveller, the hotel has free wi fi in the rooms, something not to be taken for granted in Barcelona.
The rooms were all spacious, very clean, modern and comfortable. The breakfast was good and very varied, however on my secon stay I decided to take room only as there are plenty of nice places around to have breakfast for a fraction of the cost at the hotel.
The location of the hotel could not be better, in a street right off Plaza de Catalunya.
The only thing I did find not of my taste was the room service food, as it came from an Sushi restaurant so there is very little choice in the menu if you dont eat sushi. I had a toast of bread with ham (Iberico) and that was 14 euros, which I found a rip off.
the hotel has a nice outdoor pool too, which comes handy if you are staying from June to September.
It ticked all the boxes for me, I will be coming back to this hotel.

Room Tip: My room was facing the busy street but I could not hear the traffic or any noise, the double glazed...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Very big rooms, central location, lots of Americans!

We booked here at the last minute when our smaller place did not work out. They happily fit us in and put us in a spacious room. It is a big hotel and seems to host a number of tour groups. Had all the amenities - a big breakfast room, pool, lobby area with drinks and TV, etc. Pretty building. Very spacious rooms and nice bathrooms. Lovely old facade building well remodelled in the inside. Employees were knowledgable and friendly. Pool guests were very nice and the pool was a fun "gathering" spot if you want to meet other tourists and hear what is going on, I enjoyed that aspect.

I guess my only comment would be...I am sure we paid for it if we had hunted a bit more perhaps we could have found something for a bit less that was smaller and perhaps with a bit more "individual" character...but this was very nice for what it was.

Room Tip: We had a room in the back, it was very quiet and large, so we had no complaints!
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

My partner and myself stayed at the hotel July 2012 and we are very happy with our choice. The location is great, off Plaça de Catalunya and minutes away from Les Rambles. For tourism and for going out it is great as the whole Barcelona city centre is within walking distance and what is not can be reached by tube or bus.

The hotel itself is very well kept and in great condition and spacious. The room was big, well decorated and wonderfully sound isolated providing a good nights sleep.

Breakfast was included and it was very good. There were plenty of savoury options, pastries, cereals and juices. The coffee was quite strong though.

In total a very good stay and I recommend it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Catalonia Ramblas? Share your experiences!