My wife and I booked a long weekend in Barcelona and made the decision to stay at the Antic Espai for four nights based on the reviews here. I am glad we did. This is a charming hotel with friendly and helpful staff. From the welcome Cava to our departure, no effort was spared to make guests feel comfortable and at home.
Firstly this is quite a difficult hotel to find. The taxi driver who drove us there had never heard of it and missed it first time round. The sign is discreet to say the least. The best way to find it is probably to head for the Patagonia Restaurant at 660 Gran Vía Cortes Catalanes- the door to the hotel can then easily be found.
Entry is up a flight of marble stairs to the first-floor, which would possibly make the hotel unsuitable for travellers with limited mobility as there is no lift. It looks to me as if the hotel takes up a floor of an old apartment building. This is a charming hotel, ideally located with most of the main tourist attractions within easy walking distance. The owners were happy to offer assistance and local advice and would ring ahead to make reservations at restaurants as well as recommend some very good ones.
Our room was a decent size and comprised a balcony, bedroom, dressing room and bathroom. Standards are very high here and the room was kept spotless. There was no "Do not disturb" sign but we never were- despite making a couple of late starts to the day. The balcony was shared with two other rooms, which may raise privacy issues for some but wasn't a problem for us as we went during low season and kept the curtains drawn when changing. The bed was just to my liking- nice and firm- and meant that I got a good night's sleep right from the start. Breakfast is ordered the night before and served on the balcony. We didn't take advantage of this as there are a number of coffee shops in the immediate area where we preferred to take breakfast. There is a safe in the reception area where guests can store valuables rather than in the room. This isn't a large chain hotel, so does not possess some of the facilities that would normally be associated with one of those- there's no bar, restaurant, health spa or swimming pool; the rooms don't have mini-bars or tea/coffee making facilities, however L'Antic Espai more than makes up for such minor shortcomings with charm. Wi-fi internet is available as is free access to a computer. I cannot imagine a major chain hotel decorated like this. There is beautiful period furniture in the rooms, collections and display cabinets all over the hotel. I noticed that the marquetry on our bed matched that on the bedside table and the wardrobe- someone has gone to a lot of trouble furnishing the rooms to their taste. There is barely a space in the whole hotel that is not taken up by a china figurine or other collectible. It could be said that the overall effect verges on kitsch, however this is no bad thing and gives the hotel a unique character.
I have never stayed in a hotel quite like this and am very glad I chose L'Antic Espai. Both of us agree that we would happily stay there again. I was sad to leave Barcelona and L'Antic Espai and hope to return to both soon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- L´Antic Espai arises after a dream of creating in Barcelona a special space with an old world charm. we create an place in which always, we wished to enjoy a pleasant stay and where you feel like in your own house. Our services and personalized treatment will make you to remember and miss us for ever in all trips you plan. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Venere, Priceline, Despegar.com and Odigeo so you can book your Hostal L' Antic Espai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hostal l` Antic Espai Hotel Barcelona
- Hostal L' Antic Espai Barcelona, Catalonia