“Best value for excellent location” 4 of 5 stars

Vrabac Guesthouse
Calle Portaferrisa 14, 8003 Barcelona, Spain (El Barri Gòtic)   |
Ranked #43 of 303 Barcelona B&B and Inns
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
“Best value for excellent location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

You really can't beat the location of this guesthouse, right on Las Ramblas!

The cosy interior was charming and welcoming - especially the breakfast room which had nice little touches that you wouldn't get in a larger chain hotel. The service was wonderful and friendly and we had no trouble getting into the building (which I have experienced with other guesthouses/ apartments when you don't speak the language).

The only thing I was slightly disappointed with was the room. Although adequate, it was nothing special and din't carry the charm that the rest of the guesthouse had. However, with Barcelona on the doorstep we didn't really mind. Also it had a rubbish view which was a shame; i was really looking forward to seeing out onto the street as the pictures suggest.

Compared to other hotel/ guesthouses in central Barcelona it is definitely brilliant value without slumming it in a hostel. I wouldn't usually go somewhere with a shared bathroom, but here has changed my mind as we had no trouble with the bathroom and no wait any of the times we wanted a shower.

Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Polish first
Nasik
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

I loved the location! It was perfect. A few meters away from the La Ramblas and the church. But besides this, there is nothing positive to talk about this place!

I reach the place at 9:45-10pm on day-1. I ring the bell and I'm rudely let into the building. I leave my heavy bag downstairs to go up 2 floors to ask for help, only to see the door closing in my face and opening after 10-12 minutes without a word. So till then, I'm left at the door wondering if it would open again. The gentleman said he'd gone inside to get the keys to the apartment before he could get my bag upstairs. But no warm welcome. Not even a smile.

Next I'm told that he was expecting me to be at the B&B at 1pm(whereas I had clearly shared my arrival time with the owner 2-3 times) and that if I had come even 15 minutes late, I'd have had nowhere to go! Wow! That would have been a great start! But this was just the beginning!

I am given a just painted/renovated room with the paint particles still all over the floor/linen and a huge chunk of white powder in the bathroom. I noticed this only when I got ready for a shower and quickly cleaned the floor as I couldn't stand the white powder sticking to my feet like a feet-pack! There was dust/white particles everywhere and I inhaled them all night, which caused me some throat irritation, besides lack of sleep!

Next day, Nicolas tells me that they had cleaned the room and takes a defensive stance, without a single apology for the inconvenience caused.

I change my room to another one as planned for the rest of my stay. That room stinked with every possible smell you can imagine! There was no cross-ventilation, no fresh air, in fact, no oxygen at all. I kept going into the corridor for some fresh air until 3 am only to fall asleep out of exhaustion! Again, no apology.

My throat-irritation aggravated and I had not rested.

Now, my friends were to join me on day 3 and were to stay in a different room than mine. But, because of this stinky room that I couldn't sleep in, I was ushered into my friend's room(ofcourse without Nicolas feeling guilty or sad). Nicolas just assumed that I'd happily stay in a triple room when I had booked a separate room for myself!!!!

My friends were rudely asked to take their luggage upstairs with their "help" whereas the other person from my day-1 was ready to do it for them. But Nicolas asked him not to, right in front of us! Forget hospitality(the business he is in), these are "basic" manners!

Next morning, there is no hot water in the shower! So we are asked to use the one in the stinky room I had vacated the previous night. We used it for 2 days only to find our toiletteries missing on the 2nd day(my day-4)!! I go to Nicolas to ask about the missing toiletteries and he said that he took them all away because we couldn't leave them in there!!! Huh??!!!! Really??? I left the water heater in the stinky room too but never got to see it in our room again, despite several requests!

I was too busy with my sight-seeing schedule to fight it out with this guy and simply kept compromising on several fronts.

The bathroom was outside the room and wasn't cleaned through the day. So it stinked too!

On our last day, we are asked to take down our heavy bags ourselves again. There was a very nice gentleman who offered to help but Oscar(the other partner) told him not to, right in front of me! Both of them need a 2 year course in hospitality and some basic manners!

Now the breakfast bit. On my day-1, there was one tomato slice and a few cucumber slices left in the buffet. I quickly ate it and left for my walking tour. Day-2: same story, another tour. Day-3 onwards: my friends and I went there early(around 9:30am) everyday before the food would finish only to find most of it finished. We would wait for the boiled-eggs for 15-20 minutes everyday. When we asked for 2 eggs each, we were given only 1 each(after the long wait). We had to insist on having more. The fruit salad was always over and never refilled. One time, It was made for us on our request but quite hesitantly. We would mostly eat bread-butter-jam and the cereal until the eggs arrived. The juice and milk too was clumsily refilled. Once, My friends had to wait for 30 minutes for milk in their cereals. One day, my friend even helped the maid to set the buffet table(to make up for the maid's time lost) as she got some hot water to drink for me(please note that the water-heater was still missing from the room).

If you ask for an early breakfast, you would have to go hungry! It is just not possible in here!

Now on the day of the check-out, besides the bags episode, we are asked to pay for all the food we wasted and some water I had asked to refill into my bottle on day-1!!!! Nope, this isn't funny! The food was seldom there, to begin with!! They wanted us to finish all the butter, jams in the little bowls, all the cereal in the bowl until our eggs finally showed up. If only they have a steady flow of refilling the breakfast buffet, there would be better selection and hence a more satisfactory breakfast and less wastage.

I have travelled and stayed at many B&Bs and Guest-houses and hotels all over the world, but this is the worst experience I've had! I was very impressed by the European hospitality standards but my Barcelona experience with these people has been very bitter!!!

There are far better options available at cheaper rates in the same location. I'll definitely go back to Barcelona but never here!

I went back and forth on whether I should share my negative experience or not but finally did. My experience was really very bad and I only hope nobody else has as bad a stay during their holiday as mine.

• Stayed October 2012
Vaasa, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We were group of three woman and we had triple room. There were no another space to suitcases than floor. The light was top of the cabinet and very dim. The biggest problem, however, was the noice from the street. Calle Portaferissa is not a silent side street...
We had the private bathroom no en suite. That was ok, but the shower was horrible!
I hope that they change it in the renovation. They started to move the furnitures while we were there. I didnt ask what kind of renovation they are planning.
The list of recommendation needs an update. Retaurant Julivert Meu is waste of money. Dont go there!
I could go back if I could get a quieter room.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Vrabac's location is KEY! The Aerobus from the airport dropped us off at Placa Cataluyna, located just across the street from Las Ramblas. We walked a few blocks down Las Ramblas to Calle Portaferrisa, ducked into the narrow street to find two big green doors #14. We rang the bell to Vrabac and Nicolas buzzed us up. We carried our bags up to the second floor to find a very clean, cozy, well-decorated guesthouse. Nicolas provided us with a map of the city, keys to access the entry ways, and details regarding breakfast.

Our room was located close to the front door entrance, it was simple, yet stylishly decorated, clean, and comfortable. Because our room was close to the front door, we did hear people coming in at night and leaving in the morning. If you are a light sleeper, you might request a room away from the entrance. Breakfast was a buffet of delicious meats, cheeses, fruits, and cereal, not to mention great coffee, and juice.

Vrabac is in a key location to access so many great neighborhoods and sites in Barcelona. We walked everywhere! I really enjoyed Vrabac because of its quaint, comfortable, cozy charm. It was a nice little retreat after a day cruising around the bustling streets of Barcelona. It was always a little bit of a shock leaving Vrabac and opening the two big green doors to a busy city right outside, and Las Ramblas just a few feet from the front door.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, you might request a room away from the front entrance.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

We stayed after new year here. What a lovely place. Our room was massive. We had an onsuite shower room and separate sort of lounge area with fridge. It was an artistic place with lovely lighting. The breakfast room was calm with a good selection and our host made us empanadas on our last morning. It was quiet, the bed was good and it's just off las ramblas so a great location. It was our anniversary and we got a great recommendation of an Argentinian place. I highly recommend and would definitely go back again.

• Stayed January 2012
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

Gorgeous guesthouse in a perfect location, right next to la rumblas, shopping and restaurants. The staff were very helpful, breakfast was the best of our trip so far and cheap washing service. I would recommend paying a little extra for your own shower as the room is nicer and also for convenience. Overall very happy and would highly recommend!

I would also recommend doing a cooking course and a bike tour.

• Stayed August 2012
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

This guesthouse could not be in a better location, just off Las Ramblas. They give you excellent directions to the guesthouse when you book as it is a "apartment" door on a busy shopping strip. I stayed in a twin room on the 4th floor with a friend and shared a common bathroom. There are 2 showers and 2 toilets, extremely clean and always available when I needed them. There is some more modern rooms available which would suit couples as I believe the ensuite is quite open to the room. The room was cosy with good air conditioning and unique art on the wall. The guesthouse is very homely with a good sized common area and generous breakfast. Wi Fi only works in the common areas and not in the upstairs rooms and the guesthouse has no lift. Our room was on the fourth floor, great for the legs! The staff where very helpful and provide a street map with fantastic suggestions for restaurants and must see's in Barcelona. A great base in Barcelona.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Vrabac Guesthouse? Share your experiences!