This is a bizzarely named stylish hotel in the Port Olimpic Area. It has a business slant to it but would also be good for people holidaying as well.
The cheapest way is to get a T10 ticket at the RENFE station (Spanish Rail) at the airport. This entitles you to 10 journeys of up to 1 hour 15 minutes on the train, metro and bus and any combination of those. You can also use it for more than one person, you just need to time stamp it for however many people you are using it for. It costs 7.30 Euros and available from the metro stations. A Barcelona Card also entitles you to free public transport and can therefore use the RENFE to get to the town.
After landing pick up you bags and follow the signs for RENFE, then get the train to Passieg de Gracia. Trains run every half hour and journey takes 30 minutes. Transfer on to Line 4 to La Pau and get off at Cituadella del Villa Olimpic (about 4 stops).
The metro isn't particularly lugagge friendly and the transfer to the metro involves a walk of about 10 minutes with some stairs.
Exit the metro then look for the two big towers (these are very useful for finding the hotel). Head towards the tower on the right (Hotel Arts), and the Hotel Pullman Skipper is 50m to the right. The whole journey takes about 1 hour.
Other options to get there from airport by public transport are the Aerobus (which is not included in a T10 ticket or Barcelona card)which will drop you off in Placa Catalunya and the regular bus service.
We booked through Expedia and got a special deal on a Superior room, however we were intially put in a Classic Room. The Classic Rooms have a 'city view' (i.e. the Ring Road) and no balcony. The hotel explained that the expedia bookings come through to them as a booking for a Classic Room so be aware of this. They were happy to change our room when we showed our booking.
I would definately recommend the Superior Rooms. We staying in one that faced the sea and which meant the balcony got a lot of sun in the morning. In the hotter months it might be better to stay in the east facing rooms as their balconies were shaded.
The sea facing rooms were numbered 27-45 and the east facing 1-26. You'll only see the sea if you're on the fourth floor or above and the hotel has six floors.
The grounds are very stylish and a pleasure to look at from the balcony.
The bathroom was clean and spacious with a separate shower and large bath.
A Flat Screen TV with some English channels and DVD player that will also play CDs are provided. The TV can be played through speakers in the bathroom.
The Hotel also has a DVD rental facility.
It is located in the Port Olimipic area about 100m from the beach. There are plenty of trendy bars/clubs around which double up as fancy restaurants e.g. Shoko, the ICE bar, Opium bar and CDLC as well as the more cheesy row of bars/clubs/restaurants in the port itself.
The old town is about 15 mins walk away if you take the direct route past the gasnatural (butterfly) tower and a leisurely 30 minute stroll if you walk along the seafront and through Barcelonetta.
All the main tourist attractions in Barcelona are spread evenly throughout the city and can be accessed easily by bus/metro but I recommend walking if you have the time. Check out the Parc de la Cituadella. The Zoo there is also worth a visit.
The metro stop (Cituadella del Villa Olimpic) is 5 mins walk away and is on the line to barcelonetta (if you're lazy).
A supermarket can be found in a shopping centre about 10 mins walk away in "El Centro de la Villa" on Google Maps.
There is a cafe next door to the hotel which does breakfasts + sandwiches etc.
Other facilities in the Hotel
It has a gym and spa (which weren't open when we stayed, check the hotel website for more details) and 2 pools, one on the roof which is open all year round and slightly heated. There's also a jacuzzi on the roof. The main pool in the centre of the hotel is outdoor and open in the summer.
The Syrah restaurant is open all day and is where you have your breakfast. Breakfast is good but nothing particularly special. We didn't eat there for lunch/dinner but reviews suggest the food good but the atmosphere is lacking.
The bar is expensive for spirits (12 euros a time ouch) but you can get a beer for 4.50 and a glass of cava for 4.50. Room service has a minimum 5 euro charge as well.
Wireless internet is also free throughout the hotel and is reasonably speedy
Would definately stay at this hotel again. Top notch.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Barcelona, Port Olímpic, only 50 metres from the beach.An ideal location next to the beach and an excellent starting point, no matter what your reason for visiting Barcelona.Our prime location features fast connections to the airport and the main roads leading into the city. Taxis, the underground metro, buses and trams are just a few meters away from the hotel... plus a relaxing stroll alongside Barcelona's beautiful beaches will bring you to the world-famous Rambles. A 20-minute walk in the opposite direction will lead you to the new Diagonal Mar district with its famous Barcelona Forum Convention Centre, the flagship of the new Barcelona.All rooms are touched with contemporary design and are fully furnished and fitted to provide optimal comfort. The hotel's extensive common areas are filled with natural Mediterranean light and offer a luxurious view of our private interior garden.Our personalised service and commitment thrives on meeting your needs so that you can make the most of your stay in Barcelona.Pullman Barcelona Skipper is the ideal hotel that combines business and leisure, creating a product that can offer you the best in services and technology to ensure success, combined with premium recreation and comfort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Venere, ACCOR, Splendia, Despegar.com, Priceline, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your Pullman Barcelona Skipper reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pullman Barcelona Skipper Hotel Barcelona
- Ab Skipper Barcelona
- Hotel Ab Skipper
- Pullman Barcelona Skipper Catalonia