“Good quality and rooftop pool” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #24 of 520 hotels in Barcelona
Harpenden, England
“Good quality and rooftop pool”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

It's a well run hotel with spacious rooms and a lovely roof top pool. For me it seemed a bit too corporate but my wife liked the place. Service was friendly and efficient. The bar was being rebuilt and that should bring some much needed communal space. We didn't eat breakfast as we thought the 20 Euros (discounted to 12 Euros if you commit to the whole stay) was too expensive given the excellent local cafes. The nearby market cafe is excellent quality & value.

All in all the hotel is reasonable value but I think the excellent hostals in Barcelona are very good quality/value if you're not bothered by an impressive ground floor entrance.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

1,346 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Surrey England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We spent a happy week in Barcelona, staying in this hotel.

First the plus points:

It is in a wonderful location, just 10 minutes from the beach, 1 minute from Jaume 1 tube station, and a couple of minutes fromt the Ramblas.

Breakfast was very good indeed, with a wide selection of cooked and cold food, and welcome touches like fresh pineapple, lovely little pastries and, actually very good coffee - that Nespresso stuff.

The food in the restaurant is excellent if a little pricey. It's beautifully cooked and presented and the wine is very good too.

The sky bar is an absolute joy and we even sat up there in November.

The staff are just terrific - very efficient and friendly and everyone but everyone acknowledges you with a cheery 'hola'. I was cold at night and my request for an extra blanket was met within minutes.

The bed was very comfy and we had no problem with noise.

So why just a three star review?

It was the room really. Ours was very small and, like the rest of the hotel, painted in extremely dark colours. You can barely see in the corridors and in our room, there was nothing to lift the gloom at all. No pictures on the walls, and even the lights seemed to be set to 'gloomy'. It made reading difficult as another reviewer has noted, and our room was not really a place we wanted to be. Now, that wouldn't be a problem if we were only there for a couple of nights, but we were there for a week. The Sky Bar was great, but it's not warm enough to sit up there in the evenings in November and the hotel lounge was also painted dark grey.

There was very little storage space, mostly because the room was so small, and also only one very small window. The photos don't show how very dark the room was because the flash brightened it up enormously, but trust me, it was VERY dark. Also, no possibility of making tea/coffee in the room which is unusual in this calibre of hotel.

On the subject of coffee, the breakfast coffee is Nespresso and the machines are very temperamental, which can cause long queues. Also, although the coffee is good, I don't like using so much plastic for one cup of coffee - can't be very environmentally friendly.

The hotel bar opened on our last evening, and it's lovely, but also dark grey.

So I've given the hotel a three star rating because of the quality of the room and the gloomy decor. And that's a shame because the staff and so much about the hotel are just wonderful.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room first before agreeing to use it
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Wokingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

I write this review with such regret as I was so looking forward to my stay here. It is my first review because I have felt so compelled to share my experience. Unfortunately it got off to a bad start and only proceeded to get worse.

For a 3 night business stay, I received a "corporate discount" which ended up being €167pn. Going onto the hotel home webpage (when you pay dor WiFi this is the landing page) the night of my arrival, I was gutted to find out they do a 3 night special for €127pn. The reception staff were unhelpful in my questioning as to why I was charged €120 more in total.

From there, I was given a room with a view of a brick wall, which had uncleared mirrors, hairs (not mine) from previous guests in the bathroom area & damaged/broken tiles & mirrors in the bathroom.

I asked for an iron - which arrived promptly - but was told they had no ironing board & they could bring me a towel?!

I ordered room service and was informed it would take 20-25mins. 40mins later I get a call to say it will be 2mins (no apology)...15mins later I get my food and unfortunately it was not worth that much of a wait.

Note - this hotel has no parking and trying to navigate into one of the local underground car parks (for a tourist) is virtually impossible! Call before you arrive to get directions/help with this.

Gift of muffins on arrival was a good touch but not continued daily and you must pay for water. No tea/coffee facilities in the room either. Little things do make a difference!!

I travel a lot around the world, visit hotels from $50pn to $500pn and this has been my worst experience to date. Shame, this place has potential with the right management & leadership to kick it into gear!!

• Stayed November 2012
GM-GrandHotelCentral, Director General at Grand Hotel Central, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for your comments, any good or bad is appreciated to improve the hotel services. With regards to the rates, a special corporate rate is assigned to take advantage all year long with no fluctuation in any season high or low. If you are not happy please contact the hotel so we can revise your contract agreement. None of our rooms are facing walls yet narrow streets, all of our rooms are exterior to the ancient gothic quarter.

My apologies for not finding your room properly clean and I find it hard to give a room with broken mirrors and glasses, unaceptable, I will look into this matter. Yes, the hotel doesn't have parking but we offer a public parking just 200 meters from the hotel and the bell boys help you with directions if asking, not so complicated. The rooms don't have tea or coffee facilites and we do not mention it anywhere. Thanks for your advice, I will have it in mind. Muffins in the superior rooms are a welcome touch.

As for the management, I have been the GM for 7 years and I was in charge of the openning of this hotel. Any criticism is accepted and helps me analize my performance towards this job. My aim is try to please everyone but unfortunately in this ocassion was not possible. Best, Silvia.
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Just returned from a very enjoyable long weekend in Barcelona with family. We booked standard rooms (3 rooms with three people in two of the rooms). Beds were comfortable. Two of the rooms were at the front of the hotel but noise was not a problem and the beds were comfortable. There are good blackout blinds. We found all the staff we dealt with very friendly and efficient - this seemed to come from the management down. We had breakfast and this was fine with a good choice of fresh fruit juice, hot food pastries, etc.- a toaster would be nice though. The restaurant menu looked excellent. It was rather cold on the roof terrace where drinks are served but there are heaters available.The hotel is in the process of providing a bar on the ground floor which will be good.The view from the terrace is fantastic The rooftop pool is lovely but extremely cold - would it cost much for this to be heated as this was part of the reason we chose this hotel (two adults and two children went in briefly!!) This was our fourth visit to Barcelona and we all felt that we would stay here again because of the hotel's central location and close vicinity to the marina. We loved TapaTapa by the marina/shopping mall - especially when the sun is shining. We also ate in the Italian restaurant a few doors up from the hotel and this was fine. Some of us went on the tourist bus - a great way to see the city. We all went to see the wonderful "magic fountains" and the unfinished cathedral (book the tickets on line to tavoid the extremely long queues). There is so much to do and see in Barcelona for everyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Oslo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Great location, good service, friendly staff. The room was nice and clean, large bathroom. And the hotel restaurant, the food there was delicious also the service! Best 30:th birthday ever! Really good breakfast!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We had originally booked for Sensation White club night but unfortunately they decided to cancel the whole event so we thought what the hell its Barcelona, plenty to do ! As we had booked ourselves and never been to Barca before we didnt know what to expect but everything from the taxi from the airport,all in between & the taxi back was superb.Upon arriving at the Grand we were treated respectfully at Reception. We were upgraded to the Loft Suite , which we were informed would be available after a 40 min wait - no problem as we escourted to the rooftop bar & pool which at coming out of the lift and seeing this could have been a 40 hour wait for the room for all we cared - what a superb space and one where instant relaxation is mandatory - Both the ladies who served in the rooftop bar were excellent , even if I did struggle to make them understand what a raspberry mojito was, but we got there in the end , must learn some more Spanish ! The general ambience of the hotel was a cool & chilled out feel - it is a very central position for exploring. They were just finishing the new Bar when we arrived so we look forward to returning early next year when this is complete.Overall one of the best hotels we have stayed in , the staff were all excellent and without doubt a return is on the cards to one of the best cities in the world - special mention for one of the porters , cant remember his name but a young Argentine , very helpful and polite - we hope this helps others visiting Barca !

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms to avoid the rumble of the underground service , but remember you are in a major c...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We stayed at the Grand Hotel Central for 3 nights from 20th October to 23rd October and what a wonderful hotel to be in. The whole experience from checking in to checking out was a pleasure. The people on reception were very friendly, efficient and attentive - full of smiles which is a very welcoming start. I advised the hotel when I made the reservation that we would be celebrating our wedding anniversary and requested a double bed - we were allocated room 601 and when we walked into our room, we were both very happy - nice and spacious with lots of light, plenty of coat hangers and an upgrade to a superior room with a superking bed. We then went out to explore Barcelona - the hotel was in a perfect location. Upon our return to the room, we were overwhelmed to see a very nice bottle of Cava, a little note to say "happy anniversary" from everybody at the hotel and a plate with 3 scrummy cup cakes (which were delivered to our room every day - a nice touch for the superior room). There was also a note to say that the toiletries were complimentary and if we do run out - call reception and they will be replaced, which again people complained that if you ran out then that was it! The breakfast was nice - buffet service and a good selection, we did find the breakfast at the hotel to be better than some of the surrounding venues and it is worth asking upon checkin about breakfast as they were doing a special offer. We also celebrated our Wedding Anniversary with a meal at the restaurant - this was lovely, very reasonably priced (especially for a 2 michelin star restaurant) and the quality of food was superb. I can continue to express our wonderful stay - but it is always nice to find out and experience the wonderful hotel for yourself. In a nutshell, you will not be disappointed (I was slightly apprehensive especially as we read a few negative comments). The hotel is a gem and we had a wonderful weekend - we do only stay at 5* hotels and this hotel (4* superior) deserves an extra star - we will certainly be returning in the near future.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Hotel Central? Share your experiences!