“Nice, but a bit out of the way” 3 of 5 stars

Save 33% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #169 of 518 Hotels in Barcelona
GreenLeadersSilver level
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Nice, but a bit out of the way”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Myself and my husband stayed her for a few days in May 12. On check in I wasn't happy with the room we were allocated and the front desk team were wonderful in finding us a better room.

The hotel is new, nice, and pleasant. No complaints at all about accommodation.

It was a bit far out for us, in regards to the sight seeing trail, but also near to metro and blue sightseeing bus, so not awkard to reach, just a bit far. To be fair if the weather had of been better we may not have minded spending more time at the beach!,

My only real issue was with the food, we are vegan, but I did email weeks ahead to advise and ask if they could organize a nice meal for my husbands birthday. I even sent on a recipe for a vegan cake. I was assured this would be no problem.

So, it looks like the person who assured me was away on the week we arrived and didn't pass on the instructions., but we were told its not a problem at all. In short the worst and most expensive meal we had in Barcelona over the entire week we were there, we did get a cake the day after and a bottle of prosecco,, which was a nice gesture, but really once the moment is gone it is gone... I did say to them if nothing was organized, please just tell me, I would have rather just gone out and had a nice meal at anyone of the 10 vegan friendly restaurants in Barcelona rather than what we had.
The only other small thing was, one of the girls on reception we spoke to, in trying to find out if the meal was organized, gave the always great response of ... Oh.. vegan.. very difficult with a roll of the eyes... as I said.. Barcelona has no shortage of good vegan eateries.. so I am fairly confident we were not the only ones to ever go there.. and even so.. no need for the eye roll!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Enrique A, General Manager at Hilton Diagonal Mar Barcelona, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion. We are very happy to hear you had a nice stay at the hotel.

On the other hand, we have considered all your comments like a constructive criticism and in this sense, I have to thank you for letting me know your concern and your point of view about your experience during your stay. Our commitment is to provide the best service, for this reason I feel sad knowing that we have not been able to fulfill your expectations.

The problems you have mentioned regarding the F&B have been brought to the attention of all our team members. I can assure you that I personally took the commitment of taking the relevant actions to make sure that our service corresponds with the Hilton standards of quality and hospitality which we consider is a basic tool for the full satisfaction of our guests. The Hilton standards and our team members aim to consistently deliver a professional and hospitable service to our customers because your satisfaction is our priority, so please accept my deepest apologies for the inconvenience that you suffered.

I hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back to the hotel and offer you the high quality service that you expected and deserve.

Guest Services Dept.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Nicosia, Cyprus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The location of the property is ideal. The beach front is just next to the hotel and shopping centre across the road. Ideal for leisure stays. They have in summer the tourist busses, hop-on and off that pass nearby, allowing you to visit the city throughout on a daily or multiple-day fair.
Useful, for mixing business with leisure a bit far from downtown- however, Taxis are reasonably priced and generally available just next to the hotel entrance). Port Olympic is not far with the casino and many quality restaurants offering local specialties...Over there black rice sea food paella highly recommended, looks odd but tastes great!

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion. We are very happy to hear you had a wonderful stay at the hotel. I am sure that all your suggestions will help other guests to enjoy even more their stay in Barcelona.

It is true that Hilton Diagonal Mar is not located in the heart of Barcelona but the metro and bus can reach to the city center quite fast.

jaipur,India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Hi
I stayed at Hilton Barcelona recently and opted for a delux category room. Few hours later i called guest services for drinking water... and on making the request was told "Let me See".
When i asked the lady what she meant, she said that only 2 bottles per room are on complimentary basis. I had never said I wanted the water for free. Of course, i would have paid if that was the norm...! The hotels attitude did not end here. The mini bar had no wine glasses, just tumblers. When I called for the wine glasses (2 of them), the waiter demanded 5 Euros for the "Service". No receipt was given to me.... Room was poor in amenities. No bath-robes, no slippers etc. Felt as if i was staying in Ibis or similar budget hotel!
No courtesies or help was shown with my bulky baggage upon arrival in the lobby...!
But on the plus side, the breakfast indeed was fantastic.

Guest Services Dept.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us even when it is not the kind of review we would like to have as it helps us to improve our service and enables us to offer our guests a memorable experience.

You are a very valuable guest for us and the last thing we want is to lose your trust in us.

I completely understand your disappointment concerning the staff attitude and I deeply apologize for it.

Be sure your comments will be investigated up in order to avoid them in the future.

Yours sincerely.

Guest Service Department
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights and can honestly say this was one of the best Hilton hotels I have ever stayed at. All of the staff - Reception, Restaurant, Housekeeping were extremely friendly and efficient and nothing was too much trouble. The Executive Lounge is superb and has excellent views of the city and beach.
The location is ideal - few minutes walk from beach and although is about 50 minutes walk to city centre there is good bus and Metro service, although the walk along the beach front is to be recommended. Diagonal Mar shopping centre across the road from the hotel is excellent and has many nice restaurants and cafes.
One small gripe - they could have more English speaking channels on the TV !!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion.

I am happy to learn that you had a really nice stay in the hotel. It was particularly pleasant to see that your impression of our staff were extremely friendly and efficient .

We will take in consideration your comments about the English speaking channels on the TV, as this is a good opportunity for us to improve and become better every day.

Guest Service Department
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

nice rooms with good bed, lots of different pillows. big bathroom with shower, no tub, but that's ok. great shopping centre and restaurants across the street. only real downside is exhorbitant price of in-room wifi 25 euros for 24 hours-extortion and totally unacceptable in a business hotel. lcated about 10 mins taxi ride from city centre and 30 mins (35 euros)

Dear Guest,

I would like to take this opportunity to inform you that we offer free internet service to all our Gold and Diamond Hilton Honnors members as one of their benefits. If you are already member you will upgrade your status adding nights to your account, if not I really invite you to become a member and to start getting points. You will find more information in our web.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Traveled with a group of 40..

An excellent property in all respects. about 25 mins drive from El Prat airport. The hotel has spacious rooms ( 31 sq mts) and exactly look like the ones profiled on the website .

Large spacious rooms and an inviting lobby set the pace and our 4 days at the hotel were very fulfilling indeed.

The only gripe was that the check in was a bit slow and this could have been faster managed but the hotel was extremely accommodating when dates had to be advanced due to visa issues with our group.

The Indigo restaurant was cozy and comfortable and the breakfast variety was plentiful though they could have varied the menu a bit since most items were repetitive .

The diagonal mar shopping centre was across the street and very handy for a quick bite or shopping with an array of excellent restaurants for Tapas, spanish, fast food.

The drive Ramblas was around 15 mins and cost approx 12 EUR so if you share with colleagues , this is a very reasonable cost. Taxis are easily available.

My only regret is that I could not try the beach which was at close proximity.

If staying bang on in city center is critical, I would recommend hotels in La Ramblas , but if this is not the case , this is indeed a very good choice .

I will return surely for personal, professional reasons ..

Muchas Gracias Hilton Diagonal Mar for an excellent stay!.

Room Tip: smoking rooms are on level 4. ask for higher rooms with a sea view.. They are excellent !
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing the Hilton during your recent visit to Barcelona.

We are so glad to read that your stay was a memorable one and tha you enjoyed with the Indigo Restaurant.

We hope to welcome you back to the Hilton Diagonal Mar Barcelona in the near future.

Kind regards

Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

If you looking for a great upscale and modern European hotel with a touch of American amenities, then look no further. We stayed on the top Executive Level with lounge access. The service was unbelievable and the view from our room included the beach and the La Familia, along with the rest of the city.

The location is a bit north of the "action" if you are looking for the central party district this hotel is not for you. It is a nice and quiet but close to the train station and is right on the sight seeing bus route. It is also right across the street from a major modern shopping mall with restaurants and shops.

Room Tip: If you can afford the splurge, go for an Executive Level room. You get access to the Executive Loung...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Guest Services Dept.

Been to Hilton Diagonal Mar Barcelona? Share your experiences!