“Modern hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
birmingham, england
“Modern hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed in April 2013. The hotel has a very modern feel and the reception area was lovely and smelt fabulous. We found the hotel staff very friendly and they spoke English which was gratefully appreciated. The rooms were nice but be aware the bathroom has a glass wall into the bedroom (although the toliet does have a sliding door!) They provide shampoo, bath gel and body lotion but no hair conditioner and there were no bath robes.The electric blinds are a little noisy- we could hear next door opening/closing theirs. There was no tea/coffee making facilities in the room but there was a fridge with a variety of drinks/ snacks to buy.
The hotel is located on the Diagonal with a bus stop across the road for the open top tour bus. We had a 2 day ticket and travelled on both of the 2 routes around the city. We found it very informative. Each route takes about 2 hours to complete but they only meet at one street in the city on the Passeig de Gracia- a street with many designer stores and top class hotels. There is a shopping mall across the road from the Silken Diagonal hotel with a variety of shops and cafes/ restaurants and some well known shops such as C&A, H&M, Carrefour, McDonalds, Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, We didn't eat at the hotel so cannot comment on the food. We tried to access the rooftop pool but although the lift took us up to the 10th floor we found the door locked so I guess the pool area is closed in April- we couldn't see this information anywhere in the hotel details. We had a few drinks in the bar which is in the reception area where there was a tv showing sports.We loved the city of Barcelona and hope to return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

It is a very modern hotel, and the room is with full of glass walls and doors. The first time I was a bit confused becasue of the mirrors and glass doors, but after a couple of minutes it is easy to get used to it. Bed is convinient, good service, modern furnishing, helpful staff. There is a great choice for breakfast you can even drink wine or champagne in the morning.

Some of us complained about the noise (electrical movement of sunshades) coming from other rooms, but personally I did not hear it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
San Francisco, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for four nights. The hotel is located on Diagonal which is a busy street. There is no driveway with someone to greet you. The reception is impersonal but efficient enough. Upon entering my room I was very impressed. Very modern looking with a view of Sagrada Familia in the distance. The bathroom is a glass cube and works well enough although there were no hooks to hang anything on. If you wash out your undies, there is no where to hang them as the bath towel hanged from the ceiling by a chain so if you are short like me, it just swung around and was hard to deal with. You get three days of internet free but it is so slow you need to upgrade and that costs 24E. So I upgraded for 24hours and the speed didn't change. There was only one person at the desk and they gave me a number to call. I was given more band width and told I would not have to pay although when I checked out it had not been noted on their system. They did not argue. I can't recommend the restaurant except for breakfast. Room service is over at 11pm and they did better with a ham sandwich and salad than they did with a chicken caesar in the restaurant which was barely edible.Friends went across the street where there are many restaurants and had a good meal. Location is away from everything but the wonderful metro is a block away.

Room Tip: Rooms on each floor that end in 24 (424, 524, etc) have a view of the Sagrada Familia in the distanc...
Sheffield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I picked this hotel mainly for its location (right next to Barcelona Media where I had a meeting). Couldn't have been better from that point of view - across the road from Metro station, shopping centre, and plenty of restaurants. Only a 15 minute walk to the beach and 10 mins from La Sagrada Familia too. I love the great design features in the hotel, and the rooftop bar was an excellent place to enjoy the sunshine, with the fabulous comfy chairs. Be aware that the pool is microscopic, the rooftop bar doesn't seem to open out of season (April) and that you may get kicked out of if they have a function on (one night I was there). Loved the glass bathrooms but they may not be to everyone's taste. Shower and bath excellent too, and the glass panels mean you can even watch TV from the loo or in the bath. Excellent comfortable beds. Only niggles were that the rooms smell terribly of cleaning products, and the noise of someone opening or closing their electric blind in nearby rooms sounds like a machine gun. Very good soundproofing though, which was much needed as there is currently a construction site next door. Fabulous views from the rooms and the rooftop. Be aware also that the free internet is browser-only, though you can pay for additional functionality. Annoying niggle as that's really unnecessary. The shopping centre across the road also has free internet though.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Agbar Tower and not the building site.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Letterkenny, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Really enjoyed my time staying in this hotel. The rooms were clean, comfortable and had everything you need. Had actually booked another hotel nearby but was moved to this hotel as there was a problem with a whole floor in that hotel. So I wasn't in the best mood when myself and my girlfriend landed here. The receptionist did well to stay as professional and friendly as she did because looking back I wasn't exactly easy to deal with. When we got to our room, still not happy about not getting to stay in the hotel I had booked I began to realise that maybe it was for the best. The room was great, breakfast was lovely and it had a great roof top pool and bar but importantly it was right beside a metro station and was a great launching pad for the rest of the city.

Room Tip: Get a room on the City side of the hotel as we had a view of a construction site. Nothing the hotel...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

On first entering the lobby, you get the impression of being in a top class, five-star establishment. Reception is impersonal, but efficient, and at first sight, your room looks very smart and clean. However, the glass cube bathroom may not be to everyone's taste and our lavatory door was a victim of shoddy workmanship and did not close properly. The handle felt dirty and sticky.

The hotel is also situated on a busy main road, with nowhere to stop your car to unload. There was no sign to the hotel carpark, but we were lucky to find some free parking in a nearby street so that we could go in and ask how to find it.

It was cold and raining the night we arrived, so we decided to eat in the hotel restaurant. I cannot recommend it. Go out if you possibly can. Service was haphazard and although our meat was good, the accompaniments were awful. The chair I was shown to was broken and felt as though it would collapse at any moment. I asked for another one and it was exchanged for one that was not much better. I was not the only person to ask for a new chair. Although we declined the dessert course, we were still charged for coffee. Most places don't normally charge for a simple black coffee if you've not had one of the courses in a set menu. Breakfast was, however, good.

There was no free Wi-Fi in the room and the low lighting in the corridors looked stylish but was difficult to see by. We were kept awake all night by a continuous rattle outside the window which seemed to come from the fabric of the building in some way.

If it hadn't been for needing a hotel with parking, we probably wouldn't have chosen this hotel and our experience this time was such that we wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

First Review, Stayed for 2 nights on a 3 day trip to Barcelona. Great value, staff were friendly and helpful. However, only the receptionists spoke decent English. Their support staff like their mechanic spoke limited English. Booked a junior suite that had a faulty Aircon, was then upgraded to Suite 08 on the top floor with panoramic view as they ran out of junior suites. At the first look, the hotel may seem like an excellent choice, modern and up market looking hotel for such a decent price. However, it became clear during the stay that we get what we paid for. Firstly, the Aircon was faulty in my original room and the guy they sent up doesn't really speak english; he was really helpful and friendly though. Secondly, the modern looking room/furniture actually is really old and worn out. I had 4 phones in my room but only the one in the living room toilet works, so I had to walk all the way into the toilet to pick up the phone whenever there was a call. The shower door felt like it was going to fall off every time I opened it and the shower drainage system wasn't really good, the water level was way pass my ankle in a 40 minute shower. The upside about the rooms I guess is that the room was sound proof as advertised by their website. This was really important as there were construction sites just across the road. Word of warning, the rooms are externally sound proof but is not really sound proof internally i.e. Room to room sounds, you can hear your neighbors talking and the electric binds make a huge noise when you move them up and down. Didn't get a chance to try the food, wanted to order room service but realized it wasn't a 24 hour service.
Overall, Silken Diagonal is an average hotel. Just by looking at the website I would expect a more well maintained hotel, but I guess you get what you paid for, nothing more or nothing less. I may be a little too critical for a hotel at such a decent price but this is just my opinion of the hotel. =)

Room Tip: if you want a view, you really have to choose the rooms that actually advertise itself as having one...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Silken Diagonal Barcelona? Share your experiences!