“Fantastic place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel 1898
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   La Rambla, 109, 08002 Barcelona, Spain (El Raval)   |
Ranked #14 of 518 Hotels in Barcelona
Stokesley, North Yorkshire
“Fantastic place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2007

I've just returned from a short break in Barcelona with my Husband who had fortunately booked hotel H1898, based upon previous trip advisor reviews.

We were not dissapointed, the public areas are decorated beautifully and are a lovely place, to sit and relax with a drink from the bar. On the first night we arrived there was live jazz in the bar which only added to the atmosphere.

Our room was lovely; modern decor, spotlessly clean and the bathrobes, toothbrushes, shaver were nice finishing touches.

We had breakfast in the hotel on both mornings of our stay and I would recommend taking the time to enjoy a leisurely breakfast in the dining room which over looks the Rambalas. The food was good, with lots of typically spanish dishes including a great tortilla.

The hotel is in the centre of the Rambalas yet is quiet and peaceful inside, check in and check out, was quick and efficient and the staff were helpful and polite. I would highly recommend this hotel, my only regret is that we couldn't stay longer.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2007

Stayed at Hotel 1898 for 4 nights - it was great. The reception areas were great, which created a very good impression upon arrival. We arrived early, but the hotel were able to allocate the room with the minimum of delay.

We got an interior room on the third floor. Whilst a Ramblas view would have been nice, the room we got was excellent. Spacious, well set-out, clean and tidy. As was the bathroom.

The rooftop pool was great - and you get great views up there. Obviously, in February its not really sunbathing weather but there is a spacious "leisure" area on the roof that would be ideal for relaxation.

The basement spa was also excellent - the facilities available were great. We never tried the hotel restaurant (plenty of places to eat nearby) and only used the hotel bar once. To be fair, it was pretty pricey - but not excessive.

We would stay here again - and would recommend it to anyone planning a trip to Barcelona.
Fantastic!!

• Liked — Everything
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2007

First of all, the 1898 is an excellent Hotel with a brilliant location right in the centre of Barcelona. I booked it based on the previous very positive reviews. Basically I agree with them, but I would like to share some additional observations that led to my overall positive but not perfect experience. First of all, the reception staff was slow and very inflexible the day I arrived. Basic questions could not be answered and the check-in was tedious. I had reserved a non-smoking room: when I asked the receptionist, I was told that the whole hotel is non-smoking but that all rooms are equipped with ashtrays. Isn´t that a contradiction? In effect, when I arrived in my room and I found the ash-tray on the table and one could tell that somebody had smoked in this room some time ago. Furthermore there was one small burn-whole in one of the pillows ==> definite evidence. I metioned that during check-out but nobody could give me a plausible explanation. The check-out also took an eternity and I was requested to give the "fiscal number" of my company that I had to procure from my assistant back in Germany. I was told that this is general policy in Spain but had never been asked for it in other Hotels.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2007

My brother & I stayed here for two nights last week for the Barcelona v Liverpool match and our high expectations based on reviews prior to our departure were more than met. We arrived well before the normal check-in time and were delighted that our room was already available to us. The decor in both the hallways and the room was very tasteful. I am guessing that the hotel has been refurbished within the last year. The spa and pool area in the basement was also a great bonus (we didn't venture to the roof pool). We didn't eat or drink in the hotel so I can't comment on the bar / restaurants. A short stroll from the hotel takes you to the transport hub of Plaza Catalunya and the sights of the Barri Gotic. Overall everything about this hotel was ideal for our trip and if returning to Barcelona I'd definitely stay there again

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2007

Booked the hotel for a surprise for my wife's 30th birthday. We arrived carrying a load of ski gear and the reception made us feel welcome despite our dishevelled appearance.

Every aspect of the hotel was well thought out and presented; you never felt as any corners were being cut. The swimming pool despite being small can provide hours of relaxation with the various spa facilities.

Easily the best hotel I've stayed in at any price- will definately be coming back.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Como, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2007

I have just spent four nights in a privilege room at hotel 1898.
The decor of the hotel is magnificent if you like some old colonial, richly done, feeling. Room, at least mine, is enough large and cleverly furnished.
Service is great, even if not all staff members speak fluent english. Facilities accurate and cool, meeting rooms great and of safe intimacy. Location, it's probably hard to be more central, directly on the ramblas. The only disturbing thing some squeaking noises in the ceiling, caused I guess from airconditioning system that may be enoying if someone is used to deep silence.
For the rest a great place to stay, one of the most charming hotels I have been to and definitely a place to return.

Stayed February 2007
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2007

Booked this hotel based on the trip advisor reviews and was not disappointed. The rooms were fab, staff extemely pleasant and helpful, excellent location, nice spa area, the roof top pool and terrace were ideal for summer visitors. Wouldn't hesitate recommed Hotel 1898.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel 1898? Share your experiences!