“Romantic luxury hotel on Las Ramblas” 5 of 5 stars

You added Hotel 1898 to your Saves list
Hotel 1898
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   La Rambla, 109, 08002 Barcelona, Spain (El Raval)   |
Ranked #14 of 518 Hotels in Barcelona
“Romantic luxury hotel on Las Ramblas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

A beautiful renovated historic charmer on Las Ramblas halfway between the Plaza (pick up sight for hop on-hop off tour buses) and the port. Spacious rooms with modern bath and hardwood floors. We overlooked Las Ramblas but there was no street noise. Spa. Rooftop pool. Excellent, attentive service. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Super clean rooms with a fantastic view. The top of the hotel had a bar and 360 degree seating to view the city. The best part is it's located in the center of town with walking distance to all kinds of neat places.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed in the penthouse suite here and we were amazed. The sheer scale of the suite blew us away - we weren't expecting own private pool in such a fantastic central location.

The bathroom was top notch, and the basement spa was incredible!!

I HIGHLY recommend H1898 for a honeymoon or just a romantic getaway.

Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest ,

We hope you had an unforgettable time at H1898 during your honeymoon.In terms of our room selection, without a doubt our Colonial Suite is one of the most fascinating and we are delighted to hear you were able stay in this category and indulge in all of its splendor.

We apreciate your positive feedback and we will looking forward to seeing you again at H1898.

Kind regards
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This has to be the best hotel in Barcelona..perfect location right in the heart of everything.the rooftop pool area and underground spa are amazing..and the staff are 100%.my one fault was the pricey continental breakfast at around 50euros for two but don't let it put you off there are lots of places locally with great food...

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest,
We are happy to know that your experience at our hotel was wonderful and we take the chance to thank you for your high reviews about our staff, services and facilities.
We took note about the breakfast and we would kindly inform you that the price is adapted to the quality of the fresh product and quantity that we are serving every morning, so we suggest to all our guests to have it at least once during the stay. :)
Look forward to welcome you again at the H1898.
Best wishes and happy holidays,
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I was very surprised to read some recent reviews complaining about the noise because one of the things I will take away from my recent stay at 1898 is the sheer tranquillity and relaxation the hotel offers. We stayed on the third floor overlooking Le Meridien next door (so above the side entrance to the hotel), and heard no noise at all. The hotel is beautifully and sympathetically designed; the food is excellent - we ate lunch at the restaurant on the first day and the breakfast buffet generous. The staff could not be more helpful, friendly and attentive and whether you are relaxing with a drink at the bar or overlooking the city from the roof terrace you'll feel well and truly spoiled. I now plan to go back in the summer so I can make full use of the rooftop pool!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
We are delighted to know that your experience at our hotel was wonderful and thank you for taking your time and sharing this amazing review with us here on TA!
Great opinion like yours makes us so happy and encourage as well on keeping improving in order to make satisfy all our guest’s expectations.
We definitely would like to see you back and welcoming you again the next summer, so looking forward to your next visit at the H1898.
All the best,
Mailhac
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This hotel is a haven of peace and quiet in amongst all the hustle and bustle of Las Ramblas. Room was great, beds excellent and the staff friendly and efficient. Very nice and I will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask what's available. All rooms are very nice.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Nuria G, Director General at Hotel 1898, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for choose us for your stay in Barcelona.

We are really happy to learn that you have had a wonderful stay at our hotel and we take the chance to thank you for your very high reviews about our services, facilities and most at all about our Staff!

We truly hope to see you again very soon!

Best wishes,
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Another recent review couldn't have said it better....

"From top to bottom...... Friendly staff, helpful, great rooms, very upscale and comfortable, excellent location very near the action...." and there lies both the pros and the ONE considerable con that prevents this from getting a five star from me.

I stayed in a Privilege room (228) and the everything about the facilities and comfort was fantastic.

Breakfast was of a good quality and selection catered for everyone, though I did find 25eur/person per day on the expensive side for a continental selection and heat-lamp hot food. You can order freshly cooked eggs (Poached, fried, boiled) to order - personal opinion but my poached eggs were far too runny for my liking (minor!)!

Dinner - I tried room service one evening and it was very tasty (albeit a fairly meagre portion of lasagne with little or no accompanying veg _ i could have eaten two!)

Leads me on to the main reason not to stay here - the noise
I'm not someone who needs silence or complete darkness to sleep but this was too much even for me... I asked for a room high up (and away from La Ramblas). I got second floor and to the side overlooking the back streets but to be honest it seems it doesn't matter where you are located - the noise from all streets surrounding the hotel is just terrible if you are trying to sleep. Two nights of broken sleep is not what I wanted from my weekend away. What's slightly more surprising is that it wasn't just the revellers in the street, it was a bunch of chaps (Brits unfortunately) finding it hilarious to run up and down the corridor at 2am on BOTH nights clearly having had a skinful - I chose this hotel based on the fact I had hope it wasn't the kind of place Stag do's would choose. And then to make matters worse, the glass recycling lorries arrived at approx 6.30am on the Sunday morning, the loudest noise of all...

So, do I recommend this hotel...? It's a tricky one.....

I'd either buy earplugs and stay here - the facilities (including the spa) are lovely and the staff are 100% there for you. OR I'd go and stay somewhere near the picturesque marina overlooking the harbour full of stunning super yachts. Personally, I won't be rushing back to La Ramblas much as I loved the feel of the hotel. A shame

Room Tip: Rooms as far away from La Ramblas as possible - I got a deal through booking.com for EUR250/night fo...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
Nuria G, Director General at Hotel 1898, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Guest,
First at all thank you for choosing us as your next stay in Barcelona.
We appreciate the time dedicated to share your really good impressions of our hotel and apologize in case we might cause any inconvenience during your stay.
We inform you that all our rooms are provided with double glaze windows and sound proof system and that we have 6 room’s categories, all different between them in order to make satisfy all ours guests expectative.
We truly wish that there could be another occasion and you would choose us again, so we would have a chance to make your stay really good and perhaps you could change your mind about us.:)
Best wishes and happy holidays,

Been to Hotel 1898? Share your experiences!