“One of my favourite hotels - and I've been to over 100 countries!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel 1898

You added Hotel 1898 to your Saves list
Hotel 1898
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   La Rambla, 109, 08002 Barcelona, Spain (El Raval)   |
Special Deal
20 Euros Gift
Ranked #12 of 514 Hotels in Barcelona
London
“One of my favourite hotels - and I've been to over 100 countries!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

My girlfriend picked this hotel for my birthday and it is ideally located 200m south of Plaza Catalunya (where the excellent 6 euro airport bus picks up and drops off every 5mins). That means it is just at the top of the Ramblas but also handy for the newer, swanky shopping district.

Arrived to complimentary champagne for my birthday and loved the ambience of the hotel - all moody black and white decor, dark wood, armchairs, low lighting and soothing music. The lighting in the rooms is adjustable by the bedside to about five different levels and there are great bathroom kits and robes. There is a fun heated rooftop pool and equally good indoor one that is like swimming in a cave with the arched brickwork overhead. The library has decent internet and the reception staff are very friendly and efficient.

What's not to like?

My only quibbles would be i) the price of breakfast/room service food but we skipped all that anyway as there is fantastic food all around the hotel at the Boqueria market, tapas bars and restaurants; and ii) the TV channels. There were absolutely loads to choose from but the vast majority were Spanish and there were some obvious omissions like CNN, Sky or decent sports channels.

But these really are quibbles. I loved the place and the surrounding area. Topped off by watching Messi and co in full flow in the Nou Camp.

Get booking.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Algiers, Algeria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

We chose this hotel for its great location, especially for a first-time visitor to Barcelona. You are just in the heart of things while coming back "home" to a oasis of calm. We went with our baby daughter and the staff was wonderful all the way. The room, the service, everything was perfect. We especially liked the rooftop pool (great after a day out, or for a morning dip) and bar area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
World Citizen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

This was an expensive vacation, we knew that when we booked with Costco Travel. The hotel was highly recommended and Trip Advisor reviews looked promising.
Our itinerary included a Standard room which, at over $300 per night, we thought would provide us with a luxurious hotel experience.

I was immediately disappointed to find our room was an "inner courtyard" room, which was dark and dismal. The dark red inner walls seemed more of a shaft that housed air-con units, and obscured the sky completely. There would be no natural light to greet you upon waking.

It was awful to be so dismayed that I dampened our initial excitement by requesting another room within the first half hour. It was inconvenient and time consuming to move, but we did so.

Suffice it to say, in my opinion, the second room offered was not much of an improvement at all; the only recourse offered was to upgrade, but I was unwilling to fuss or express further dismay to my significant other. We'd only just arrived from a long international flight and this was supposed to be marvelous, so I let it be.

I think the raves for the hotel are pretty amped up, and I don't understand why. There's one exception. The breakfast was absolutely fabulous! I've not ever had such an extensive array of lovely breakfast choices, all very fresh, colorful, exotic, and prepared beautifully.

Would I stay again? Perhaps. For one or two nights only, though, perhaps in a suite with a view on an upper level. I'd take advantage of the lovely roof-top for an evening, and I would most enthusiastically look forward to Hotel 1898's exquisite breakfast.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Jakarta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

The very best of this Hotel is its architecture and design. All seems luxurious and beautiful, from the hotel lobby until the room we stayed. The hotel staffs were very kind, helpful and spoke perfect English. The room is not too big, but the design is awesome and kind of retro-looking but still high class. They also have extra-ordinary indoor swimming pool at the basement, also beautifully designed. Breakfast was excellent with a lot of variation including Spanish Jamon. And the location is only few steps from La Ramblas and a big supermarket. My only complaint was the knockings at our door at the night when we were tryng to sleep (maybe cleaning service). But overall I think this hotel is the almost perfect hotel in Barcelona.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I was a little leary of staying right on Las Ramblas, due to the high tourist factor, but I absolutely loved Hotel 1898. I spent a weekend here after a long week of meetings for work in Europe, and I'm so glad I extended my trip and chose this property.

First, the hotel is beautifully designed. The architecture of the building is lovely and the interiors are equally special. The lobby manages to be vibrant and energetic, yet serene and retreat-like at the same time, which I really was impressed by. The staff is very friendly and eager to help. I was traveling by myself, and they were great in making dinner reservations and providing directions to nearby attractions.

My room was very comfortable and uniquely designed, like the rest of the hotel. I was initially concerned about the noise level being on Las Ramblas, but the room was silent!

I also enjoyed the rooftop bar, which is outifitted with lots of different types of seating arrangements for lounging. One of the nights I was there was a bit chilly, and they provided fresh blankets for snuggling, which I appreciated.

I thought the breakfast was good... but I would reccomend that any traveler head down to Pinoxto in the Boqueria for a much more authentic experience.

I hope to return to Hotel 1898 with my husband very soon!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I stayed at 1898 Hotel in Barcelona during the last week of November, a getaway during our Thanksgiving holiday time in the USA. I have stayed at many European hotels, and I must say this hotel is in my top three. That rating would be based on customer service, space and design of the room, hotel decor, facilities, and location. It met and went above and beyond in all areas. I appreciate fine service, and the people at reception were quite helpful in making my stay easy and enjoyable. They solved some of my travel issues- getting around in the city, postage for mailings I did during my stay, and making sure the room was quiet and at the right temperature for my needs. Thank you so much 1898! I have already told fellow travel friends about this gem of a place and plan on staying at this hotel again.

Room Tip: An inner courtyard room is quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

What a wonderful stay we had at this hotel for a restful night before our Cruise on Nov 2nd 2012.
I searched far a wide at all the reviews before I selected Hotel 1898.
I wanted to be on the Ramblas so that we could walk to what we wanted to see.
This hotel did not disappoint us in anyway and is one of the nicest rooms and hotels I have ever stayed in.

This is the perfect location. I new it was a bit more cost than some of the others but the option to have swim in either on roof top if open or Pool spa if not won us over.
I booked the least expensive room for 1 night on line with Trip Advisor – via booking dot.com
When we checked in to hotel, we were greeted very warmly, unlike a few reviews I got excellent reception and help from the reception desk.
We were quickly checked in and I might say before check in time about 1pm and then was upgraded from the basic inside room to a suite on the 5th floor.
Let me say am not sure why we were chosen to get this upgrade. The room was out of this world,
We had a huge L shape balcony with one full side over looking the Ramblas, we had our own heated pool.
Yes POOL. The room had setting area separate from sleeping and a beautiful green marble bathroom with lovely amenities, robes and slippers for our trips out to the POOL and deck.

Our co travelers with us also received an upgrade to a Deluxe Balcony room just down from ours over looking the Side street entrance to Hotel.
What can I say, I am not sure why the red carpet was rolled out for our parties. AFTER the upgrades, I did let the hotel know that I would give them an excellent reivew on Trip Advisor.
I will stay here again on any next cruises out of BCN.

I did not eat the breakfast, the price was a bit steep for us, but we did eat in the open Fresh market La Boqueria that is just down the street. We sat at the Kitchen bar seating and with the Locals. We had a wonderful made to order eggs, meat and morning baked pastries items. We watched them Cook, and do the Fresh Squeezed orange Juice for us.
You can’t get more local that this.

We walked to the Picasso Museum just around the corner in the Gothic Area 10 min walk and nice scenic views on the way. Hotel was most helpful on what route to take to get there.
We had Tapas on the way back on side street café that had lovely choices.
We were also just down the street from a Shopping market where we bought Wine, Bourbon and Water to take on the ship with us the next day. Prices were great much like a Wal-Mart feeling, but with Liquor.

Thank you to the hotel management for this lovely stay and the Upgrades given to our group.
The Brown Family

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Hotel 1898? Share your experiences!