“Perfect. Just perfect.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 519 hotels in Barcelona
Columbus, Ohio
“Perfect. Just perfect.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I stayed at 1898 Hotel in Barcelona during the last week of November, a getaway during our Thanksgiving holiday time in the USA. I have stayed at many European hotels, and I must say this hotel is in my top three. That rating would be based on customer service, space and design of the room, hotel decor, facilities, and location. It met and went above and beyond in all areas. I appreciate fine service, and the people at reception were quite helpful in making my stay easy and enjoyable. They solved some of my travel issues- getting around in the city, postage for mailings I did during my stay, and making sure the room was quiet and at the right temperature for my needs. Thank you so much 1898! I have already told fellow travel friends about this gem of a place and plan on staying at this hotel again.

Room Tip: An inner courtyard room is quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

2,581 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

What a wonderful stay we had at this hotel for a restful night before our Cruise on Nov 2nd 2012.
I searched far a wide at all the reviews before I selected Hotel 1898.
I wanted to be on the Ramblas so that we could walk to what we wanted to see.
This hotel did not disappoint us in anyway and is one of the nicest rooms and hotels I have ever stayed in.

This is the perfect location. I new it was a bit more cost than some of the others but the option to have swim in either on roof top if open or Pool spa if not won us over.
I booked the least expensive room for 1 night on line with Trip Advisor – via booking dot.com
When we checked in to hotel, we were greeted very warmly, unlike a few reviews I got excellent reception and help from the reception desk.
We were quickly checked in and I might say before check in time about 1pm and then was upgraded from the basic inside room to a suite on the 5th floor.
Let me say am not sure why we were chosen to get this upgrade. The room was out of this world,
We had a huge L shape balcony with one full side over looking the Ramblas, we had our own heated pool.
Yes POOL. The room had setting area separate from sleeping and a beautiful green marble bathroom with lovely amenities, robes and slippers for our trips out to the POOL and deck.

Our co travelers with us also received an upgrade to a Deluxe Balcony room just down from ours over looking the Side street entrance to Hotel.
What can I say, I am not sure why the red carpet was rolled out for our parties. AFTER the upgrades, I did let the hotel know that I would give them an excellent reivew on Trip Advisor.
I will stay here again on any next cruises out of BCN.

I did not eat the breakfast, the price was a bit steep for us, but we did eat in the open Fresh market La Boqueria that is just down the street. We sat at the Kitchen bar seating and with the Locals. We had a wonderful made to order eggs, meat and morning baked pastries items. We watched them Cook, and do the Fresh Squeezed orange Juice for us.
You can’t get more local that this.

We walked to the Picasso Museum just around the corner in the Gothic Area 10 min walk and nice scenic views on the way. Hotel was most helpful on what route to take to get there.
We had Tapas on the way back on side street café that had lovely choices.
We were also just down the street from a Shopping market where we bought Wine, Bourbon and Water to take on the ship with us the next day. Prices were great much like a Wal-Mart feeling, but with Liquor.

Thank you to the hotel management for this lovely stay and the Upgrades given to our group.
The Brown Family

• Stayed November 2012
Camberley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Stayed here 6 years ago when it was still a relatively new hotel and was not disappointed then. We decided to stay here again this time as everything we wanted was easily accessible either by walking or bus.

Glad to say it has maintained it's very high standards, the only thing we did not use was the restaurant, it is a bit pricey and we knew of other restaurants within walking distance which were better value. Drinks at the bar are not as expensive as London so worth stopping for a night cap.

We will definitely consider staying here again for our next visit and instead of a taxi from the airport, get the Aerobus from either terminal & it takes you to Placa de Cataluna, you then have a short 5 minute walk down Las Ramblas to the hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This hotel has a perfect central location. A favorite part of the hotel, in addition to being clean and nicely decorated, is the wonderful rooftop pool, which provides the perfect respite from the busy streets, as well as some views. A good value for the price.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Forgetting the location which is perfect, in Las Ramblas 2 blocks from Plaza Catalonia, this place is awesome, from the moment you are greeted and all the registration process, The room was upgraded,I had called from home the day before to confirm and it was offered at that time.
The room had a view to Las Ramblas but high enough not to hear all the noise from people having fun in the streets( if you want a hotel with no noises at night do not stay at any hotel by Las Ramblas , it is that simple)
Room and bathroom pretty big considering Europe standards, safe in, the top of the hotel has a pool (never used since it was cold) and a bar with a magnificent view of Barcelona.
The hotel also has a spa that is a must.
Staff very helpful, even making arrangement for car rental, it could be messy if you do not know the place. Will repeat.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

A friend and I have just returned from a wonderful weekend in Barcelona staying at the 1898, we know the hotel and personally chose it as it is a favourite. It is in a brilliant location right in the middle of all the hustle and bustle of the ramblas and Plaza Catalunya. The spa is great for a quick respite in the afternoon after walking around the city. The room was lovely, the only criticism I would have was that there was not enough drawers for clothes (one very small drawer) however that was a minor thing in what was just a lovely hotel. The rooftop pool and bar looked beautiful, although it was shut as we went out of season. The staff were friendly and helpful and there were added touches like turning down service with chocolates and strawberries served with the room service champagne, a pillow menu so you can choose which pillow you would like to sleep on that just made it that extra bit special. I would recommend and certainly go back...best hotel in Barcelona taking everything into consideration.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Perfect. Beautiful furnishings. Good size room. Great bar. Friendly staff. Amazing location. Great roof terrace with pool.

One of the nicest city centre hotels we've ever stayed at.

Don't bother paying for breakfast as you have 100 cafes within 5 minute walk.

Just book it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel 1898? Share your experiences!