“Great place!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Chic & Basic Zoo

You added Chic & Basic Zoo to your Saves list
Chic & Basic Zoo
1.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Passeig Picasso, 22 | Ciutat Vella, 08003 Barcelona, Spain (El Born / La Ribera)   |
Ranked #96 of 312 Barcelona B&B and Inns
Alba Iulia, Romania
“Great place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

It was a great hotel although it was rated as a 1st star hotel i can say the conditions in the room are those of a 3 stars-at leas our room, 11. It had a great view, the city park, the biggest park in Barcelona, and it is 2 minutes from The Triumph Arch.We had a great room and the staff was great. They all spoke English and very helpful. Because it was pretty cold we asked for extra blankets and they gave us and the housekeeper came every day to make the beds and change the garbage. Our room was great and clean.

Room Tip: Ask the reception stuff to give e good room-they will if you joke and seem nice, not imposing.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

We stayed here for one night as we only had 24 hours in Barca. The location is fantastic - - less than 5 minutes' walk to the "Born" area, which is one of the trendiest parts of Barcelona in the Old City, with tons of bars, cafes and shops. You also have a big park across the street for walking/jogging, and you can walk to the city's main beach in 15 minutes. It was 80 euros for a double which is extremely good value. Old reviews here talk about an elevator under repair but that is no longer a problem. It is a basic hotel but the staff were friendly and helpful (e.g. they let us store our jamon serrano in their small staff fridge overnight, before we took our flight, as their is no fridge in the room). The bathroom is nice and modern. Stay here if you plan to explore the city, not hang out in your room a lot. Free in-room WIFI too!

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Riga, Latvia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

Hotel was quite cheep and that was the reason why we have chosen it. But it was better then we were expecting! Friendly stuff, nice rooms and very good location.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2009

The lift wasn't operational. The building was being renovated and it was dusty and noisy. The room was small, dark and cheaply finished. The bathroom was newly renovated but dirty, and the bathtub had no plug. The staff were freindly and courteous and the location reasonably good though. Still, I guess you get what you pay for.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Antony
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

This hotel could be so nice if it was better maintained /decorated and clean! If you stay at the Triunfo, I advise you to take a small and light suitcase as the elevator does not work and the hotel is at the 2nd floor of the building.
Our room was a good size (it was not huge but it was not tiny) but it was very dirty. There were shoe prints on the walls, the night stands were stained (I think with coffee), the floor was dusty and there were hairs on the floor (were not ours because there was hair on the floor when we arrived).
In the bathroom there was no hook to hang your towels so we did not know what to do with our towels after we showered (leave them on the bed and get the bed wet, leave them on the dirty floor?). On the day we arrived, I noticed there was a hair on the sink (again not ours) and that same exact hair stayed on the exact same spot on the sink during the 4 days we stayed there. My husband also noticed several long black hair on the floor (my husband has really short hair and I am blond).
For sure they do not clean the room: they only make the bed and change the towels. I am not sure they even clean the room when you check out!
Shower gel: Enjoy the only tiny bottle that is in the bathroom when you arrive because they don’t give you anymore. You need to ask for more shower gel every day. One night when we came back at the hotel I asked the receptionist for more soap because we didn’t get any and we would need it to shower the following morning. It seemed that I was bothering the receptionist (a young guy) but he went to the storage and handed me a hand soap. I then told him I wanted shower gel not hand soap! I shouldn’t have because he yelled at me because I asked for soap no shower gel. What a great customer service there!!!!!
I also advise you to take earplugs, actually they are indispensable. This hotel is so noisy. Our room was the furthest one from the reception desk but we could hear everything happening at the reception. We could also hear the people getting drinks or food from the vending machines. But the worst thing was the bell. To enter the building from the street, you have to ring a bell and then the receptionist could open the building door. That bell was so so so loud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The first night there I barely slept because of the noise (all night long) and I was scared to move because I didn’t want to accidentally touch the filthy wall at the back of the bed.
The only nice things about this hotel are the location , and one of the day receptionists. It’s a shame because if it was well maintained and clean and nicely decorated this hotel would be great: good location, big room, nice little patio (if it would be furnished, that little patio would be really nice).
I would certainly not recommend this hotel. My advice: stay as far away as possible from this hotel!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

If you like hair in your noisy & smelly hotel room this is the place for you!!! We expected a basic small hotel room for 70 a night, but we got a horrible, dirty & really noisy room. Lots of hair everywhere I dont think they clean the floor (or anything else!), the pillows where yellow (yuk!) and the room smelled of cleaning product (i think they just spray it hoping it will magically clean the room!) Also I never been in a hotel where you hear the front bell so loudly throughout the night ,cant they put the noise lower, plus its not like we where next to the reception, we were at the end of the hall! Also I was woking up several times in the night by a loud drilling noise which turned out to be the coffee machine. In top of it all the elevator did not work, so several floors of stairs with our luggage (fun!). The location is the only good thing here!

So be warned!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Chic & Basic Zoo? Share your experiences!