“a quaint local find” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dolceria De La Colmena

Dolceria De La Colmena
Placa de l'Angel 12, 08002 Barcelona, Spain (Barrio Gotico (Barri Gotic))
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #161 of 6,809 Restaurants in Barcelona
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Coffee Shop, Bakery
Neighborhood: Barrio Gotico (Barri Gotic)
Description: La Colmena is one of the oldest cake shops in Barcelona. For more than a century it has delighted "Placa de l'Angel" square, where it is located, with it's fragrant aroma of home-made candies and cakes. The exact date it was founded is unknown, but we do know that its original name was "Ca l'Abella". In 1849 Rosendo Abella had the shop in the street "Bajada de la carcel" (the prison slope) now called "Baixada de la Llibreteria" (Bookshop slope), situated just in front of the current location. In 1872, the Costa family purchased the business, moved to the current location and changed the name to La Colmena. But maintained both names at the front of the building. Later, the shop changed owners from "Morato i Sant Pera" in 1912 to "Chocolates J. Camps" in 1921. Finally, in 1927, Josep and Francesc Roig Manubens bought the business which is now run by the grandson, Josep Maria Roig. Toni Roig, Francesc's great-grandson and Josep Maria's son, makes the candies following the same recipes and methods centuries ago, like many other traditional Catalan pastries and cakes
Madison, Wisconsin
“a quaint local find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Was just walking by and was lured in by the attractive and tempting window displays. Quaint old-fashioned sweets shop inside. The lady behind the counter was friendly (I don't speak the local language) and helpful. I tried one of the meringue confections (I think hazelnut) - and was I ever glad I did! Ate it as I was walking along down the street, and decided I'd have to get back there again before I left. I noted they were open until 9 p.m., but I wasn't sure if that was every night... I did not end up making it there again - but I look forward to enjoying a stop there the next time. (Just a shop - no seating.)

• Visited November 2013

Lima, Peru
“Experience Tradition!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

If you are visiting Barcelona, specially the Gothic district make a stop at this pastisserie. It is one of the most famous and old pastisserias in Barcelona. It is known for preparing handmade candy and delicious desserts, such as the Panellets and the cream or chocolate truffle cone!
The shop itself is beautiful with antique architecture and their window display is a delight to watch.

Seaford, Delaware
“Delicious!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

This place was great! They humored me with my broken english. I only ordered desserts to eat in the square and it was all so good! I definitely recommend stopping here. My friend that is a local also said she loves it!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Sweet tooth delight!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Stumbled on this patisserie by accident, and were amazed at the variety of choices. Just amazing typical Spanish - muffins, meringues, chocolates and sweets.
We could have spent so much time and money here!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Delicious sandwiches”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We had an excellent sandwich, some great cookies that were far too sweet for us, and a creepy, soft meringue that seems perfectly made but wasn't for me :) the lady behind the counter was happy and helpful and didn't seem to speak a word of English, but me waving my arms about got us exactly what we wanted without ever having to go "no, that one, no..". She probably puts up with a lot of tourists! There's no place to sit, but I'd highly recommend grabbing some treats and sandwiches here and head off to some nice place to sit down outdoors, maybe by the water or in parque ciutadella.