“Solid Hotel with great staff.” 4 of 5 stars

HCC Open Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Diputacio, 100, 08015 Barcelona, Spain   |
Ranked #210 of 518 Hotels in Barcelona
Toronto, Canada
“Solid Hotel with great staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We booked this hotel on a special- we were somewhat dubious about it because of it's mixed reviews on TA. Happily I can report that we had a great time.
From the outside the hotel isn't an eye grabber- however when we arrived the front desk was great and efficient, our room was waiting for us, and everything as advertised was there.
The room itself was standard for Europe- beds were great and comfortable (some what small but normal for Spain) , bathroom spotless, and AC working great. The soundproofing was also very good.
Breakfast was included and was fresh and delicious each morning.
The really fantastic thing is that this hotel is so centrally located- 10-15 minutes to any major train station, or La Rumba- so walking around was a breeze. Also the staff were amazing on providing detailed maps and descriptions on how to get to where you need go. They were even nice enough to help us find a restaurant with scallops- which was a bit of a tough find.
All in all I'd say a solid 8/10- I'd definitely recommend without hesitation.

Room Tip: They give you a voucher for a free glass of wine which is valid at any of the HCC Hotels, some of wh...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

HCC Open is located in the heart of the Eixample area, a less touristy, more calm area than the Ramblas and the shopping area. It is near all the activities without all the noise and crowds. The women at the front desk were reactive, accommodating and friendly. While they didn't speak French, they spoke English well and if you know a little Spanish, you'll get along fine.
The room is fine: clean, the double bed is really two twin mattresses pushed together (typical all over Spain), with all the amenities.
I only ate breakfast in the restaurant - buffet style. Unlike the reception, the wait staff were not friendly, hardly looked up, but if you need anything, they'll get in for you quick enough.
The price could not be better. I know Barcelona well, and I'll come back here. You'll centrally located, near two metro stations, breakfast included for well under what I pay normally.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor if you want the most quiet rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Madrid
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I was one week ago in this hotel with my girlfriend and we stayed here for a couple of days. We really like this hotel, the relation quality-price was very good and it is located in the center of the city, near plaza españa. Staff was very nice and helpful, they gave us interesting information about what to visit in Barcelona. I would come again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
West Hollywood, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Staff is helpful, but not very happy to be. If they've told you something once they put up a fight to tell you again. Our wifi wold be disconnected every time we left the hotel and they were SUPER IRRITATED to give us the password again- which, btw, was ever changing. It took us MORE THAN AN HOUR to check in because the front desk staff was having problems figuring out how to imput the price we had been quoted that morning by the manager. There were 5 adults standing downstairs with all of our luggage (2 of them being my 80 year old parents) and it was 11pm. Even though it was clear we were staying there and just finalizing the paperwork they would not allow JUST my parents to go into one of the rooms to lay down. Rooms are clean for the most part, I think..... I stayed 3 in a double room and slept on the roll away but pretty sure I came home with bug bites ALL OVER myself from the roll away. No one else got them and that was the only difference in the trip. Clean, but the floors in room looked a little funky. They gave us a free breakfast deal but when I woke up early and came down to eat before my cab to the airport I was told I could not take an extra mini croissant with me as all food had to be eaten in the dining area. (I get it, that's their policy. However, I was the first and ONLY person in the area and it was clear I was leaving the hotel- and it was a MINI CROISSANT- give me a break.)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Just off the main tourist area, the Open lets you experience the local culture without giving up access to the main downtown tourist attractions. If you want to walk, everything is within 15 - 40 minutes. Cabs to most areas are less than 10 Euro and the subway stop is two short block away. We had breakfast included and there was a nice variety of choice. There are lots of good restaurants and cafes within a ten minute walk.

Staff are friendly and accommodating. We had a great holiday and wouldn't hesitate to recommend to friends or come back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Basildon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights with my friend on a sight-seeing trip. Staff were friendly and provided us with a city map on arrival which was really helpful. Beware because we travelled out of season and some of the attractions were not open such as the Tipidabo funfair and the fountain light show. The room was basic but clean. We had no problems. I asked to borrow an iron and this was delivered to the room for me. Breakfast was nice but the toaster was a bit slow! My friend loved the croissants with the nutella! There was a selection of cakes and pastries, fruit,cereal and yoghurts. Overall we were really happy with our choice of hotel

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Nice hotel, pleasant staff, clean, basic breakfast but not too bad. The best thing about this hotel is the location. Only a 10 minute walk from the bustling Plaza de Espanya.

Here you have one of the main bus stops for the open top tourist buses and you can also buy your tickets at a kiosk here. A brilliant shopping centre, which used to be a bull ring (and where The Beatles played in the 1960's). It includes a handy supermarket, great shops and plenty of eating places to chose from. Also in walking distance is a park with a colourful Joan Miro statue.

But also use the subway stops close to the hotel. I was only in Barcelona 4 days and didn't brave the subway until day 3. But once I did I wish I had done it sooner, so cheap and simple.

This hotel is a great base to see other things.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to HCC Open Hotel? Share your experiences!