“Poor service” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #219 of 514 Hotels in Barcelona
Helsinki, Finland
“Poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed 9 nights at Axel Barcelona and had quite similar experiences from hotel services and their prices than few other previous reviewers. Every service has a pink money extra.

Room cleaning needs new management. Everyday something was missing (soap, towels, shampoo etc.) One day we didin't even have towels when we got back from gym. I called to reception about this and they asked me to pick them up from there?? Apparently receptionist worked alone in whole hotel. They did apologize these things and we complained during our stay but nothing happened. The cleaning itself was very bad too.

Best things about Axel is the location, gym and rooftop terrace. The Spa is a rip-off with 10€ extra fee. Wifi worked okay.

On the last day we asked late check-out and got it until 13.00 (very generous after these mistakes they made everyday). Left our luggage and went to rooftop having sun. After sunbathing would be nice to have a shower at the gym. But obviously this was impossible because they really a separate businesses from each other. Gym reception saw that we were already checked-out that day and didin't let us in without paying 5 € per person for shower!!! Using gym would have costed 10 € more! I have traveled in hundreds of hotels and never payed a shower if I wanted to have one after check-out!!

We also have stayed overall maybe one month in all of this chains properties including BA and Berlin and have to say that after this experience won't be returning in near future :/ I rather take a real 5 star hotel with the same price.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
JORGEPEREZ, Director General at Axel Hotel Barcelona, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Customer,
Thank you very much for your opinion and time invested in it. We greatly appreciate the trust you have placed in us. In Axel Hotel Barcelona, we always try to improve our services so that our customers can enjoy the hotel and its facilities.
I'm sorry you have not been cleaning your total satisfaction, a thousand apologies for that, usually emphasize what our clients more of the good service is the cleanliness of the hotel, there will have been a particular case that will remedy immediately, regarding the shower after taking in sun, having checked out, let me tell you it has a shower next to the pool for this purpose. thank you very much again for your help to improve even more.
We hope for a second chance and see you soon with us in any of the Axel Hotels around the world
Yours sincerely,
Axel Hotel Barcelona

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I can only say good things about my stay at axel hotel, good service, rooms are comfortable and clean. All the staff is very helpful and is always willing to help. I have stayed in many hotels around the world and have never found one human quality that this hotel. Try back to the hotel very soon.

Dear Guest,
It gives me great pleasure to thank you for your opinion about our hotel.
Thank you very much for your excellent comments and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
Hope to see you soon so you can repeat your good experience with us.
Yours sincerely,
Virginia City, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

A fabulous experience, the hotel is very good, simple, comfortable rooms a little small, but we must not forget that in Europe are always smaller sizes. The experience in the hotel when you come until you leave is excellent, the staff very professional, friendly and helpful and the services than they offer and the terrace are just excellent. I will definitely return ....

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your great opinion!!
We are very glad that you´ve been very comfortable in your time with us!
We are pleased to have had you with us and hope to see you soon at any of our worldwide Axel Hotels.

Best regards,
Barcelona, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Not at all worth the 300+ Euros you pay for it. You should go there just for the location and the trendy events on the roof-top terrace. Most things in the room were falling apart, service was barely acceptable. Breakfast was so bad that the couple of times I had it I felt sick. First day I had breakfast food in the buffet was so rotten that there were tons of insects flying over croissants that must have been a week old, fruit looked so bad I didn't even touch it, I tried a yogurt and it was so hot it seemed it was boiling! The gym and relax center is rather nice, too bad that every time I got there I had to bare a class of rules and manners from the receptionists who probably thought he was in a kindergarten. The first day the receptionist made me read twice the gym rules because apparently the first time I had not read them with enough attention. As the rule was "no bags allowed in the gym" (surely because the gym is so small that they do not want people to fill it with huge gym bags), he made me to leave in my locker a tiny bag not much bigger than a wallet, forcing me to carry all I had with me in my hands; phone, headphones, gym gloves, room keys, paper with the wifi code, etc. The second day I had a class about putting my dirty blue towel in the right basket with the blue towels, and not in the basket with the white ones. Of course if I was not told I would not have done it correctly... annoying...

Long story short: I am not going back to the Axel hotel in Barcelona, nor am I going to try any other property of theirs. Better put your money in a 5 star hotel a few blocks away and have a drink at the terrace at the Axel at night time!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Customer,

A thousand apologies if your stay with us, it was not entirely satisfactory. In Axel Hotel Barcelona, we always try to improve our services so that our customers can be comfortable in the hotel as it is essential for us to provide quality services and work every day to improve our quality and service.

We hope you give us a second chance and can repeat soon your visit and have a pleasant experience with us.

Many thanks and kind regards,
Milan, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I stayed here with a friend for 8 days in August, the location is wonderful but the rest ....
- The room: an Axel Premium for 2 people (avg cost for night >300 eur), it was quite big but there was a sort of metal shelf (completely open) instead of a closet where it was not easy to put all the clothes. The bathroom was very small with the water flowing out from the shower/bathtube on the floor (we had to specifically ask a mat for the floor!!)
- Breakfast: the worst ever breakfast I ever eaten in an hotel, even if it was included in the fare we skipped it from the third day and we went out to have it.
- WIFI is ok because free
- The SPA and masseurs was very good and also the gym (even if small and crowded because open to external customers).
- The Sky Bar and the events on the terrace were excellent (the best part of the hotel)
- check in and check out very fast
- the staff were very welcoming
In conclusion, i don't know if i will come back to Axel in the future if the quality will not improve because this hotel is not worth the price paid.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Customer,

A thousand apologies if your stay with us, it was not entirely satisfactory. In Axel Hotel Barcelona, we always try to improve our services so that our customers can be comfortable in the hotel as it is essential for us to provide quality services.

Many thanks and kind regards,
Helsingoer, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

the Hotel is nice it's clean very nice pool upstairs for cocktails small pool? The drinks up on the rooftop of expensive they're not worth it and view is very nice the gym is small nice , The Steff its friendly and speaks English breakfast is great small but very good ,location is fantastic,

Room Tip: Room On the street
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for staying with us during your last visit in Barcelona. Also thank you for your opinion and share it with all travelers on Trip Advisor. Your opinion it´s very helpful for us and we really appreciate you take your time and give us your point of view about us.

Hope to see you very soon here again with us.

Best Regards,

Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

This place is nice. I did not go to the roof pool (it was April) or the bar but the lobby and dining area was nice. Breakfast was WAY over priced so if you get it, eat a lot. The room was very clean and nice but pretty small and we had no view. Interestingly the shower is just glass... and you can see it from the bathroom and the bedroom so hopefully you are traveling alone or with your date. :) Staff was VERY friendly and the neighborhood was nice and safe (even at night), close to shops, Placa Catalunya and the subway. Easy to get here from the airport. Most of the other people there were male couples or singles but as a lesbian with her girlfriend I felt very welcome and I think heterosexuals and families would to.

Room Tip: I took the low cost upgrade and was glad I did because even that was kind of small. :)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your great opinion!!
We are very glad that you´ve been very comfortable in your time with us!
We really apreciatte you take your time and give us your opinion.

Best regards,
Axel Hotel Barcelona

Been to Axel Hotel Barcelona? Share your experiences!