“Perfect boutique hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cambridge
“Perfect boutique hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

I went with three friends to the Hotel Jazz for 5 nights in late July 08, to celebrate a birthday. We booked it based on the price, location, and excellent reviews on this site, and were not disappointed. It is a lovely boutique hotel i.e. it's reasonably small, well-finished and with the facilities you need for a city break.

The hotel is immaculate. The rooms are spacious, the beds comfortable, and the bathrooms lovely, with decent showers, lots of towels, and a hairdryer. I saw another review on here that said the lack of mirrors in the main bedroom was annoying. I know what they mean, but there is one in the hallway and another big one in the bathroom. Fine for two girls getting ready for a night out, so I think that's quite telling.

The air-con is great, because you can control it from your room to get the right level, and it does get very hot in Barcelona in July!

We used the roof-top pool, which is a wonderful treat. It's not a massive pool, but it's all you need to cool off. There are free sunbeds, and decking, as well as a roof-top bar, so you can order sangria or a beer and drink it by the pool, looking over the city.

There is also another bar downstairs, which has a good selection of spirits and friendly barmen.

We didn't take breakfast in the hotel, but there are lots of shops and cafes within walking distance.

In general, the hotel is everything you need for a city break, and it's very cool and relaxing after the buzz of Barcelona. It's close to everything you need - Las Ramblas, the metro, and the Gothic quarter. There are lots of lovely little cocktail bars and restaurants tucked away in the streets around, so I would say get out the first evening you get there and see what you come across.

I would whole-heartedly recommend this hotel to any one looking for a city break in Barcelona.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cork
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

Recently stayed in the Jazz hotel while on a short break to Barcelona. The hotel is well located just off La Rambla, 2 mins from the metro and bus stops. I found the staff to be very professional and friendly. Our room was located on the 4th floor and we did hear the metro (as mentioned in other reviews) at times but it did not cause us any problems the rumble only lasts a couple of seconds, and we did not hear it at night, so do not let that put you off staying in the Jazz. you can always request a room on a higher floor. I found the bedroom and bathroom to be both a good size and spotlessly clean. The bathroom has modern fixtures and is well stocked with toiletries. The bedroom had a huge comfortable bed, plenty closet space, a safe, large t.v. (dvd available to rent) and a mini bar, beware quiet expensive. The room has climate control which was lovely because sometimes hotel rooms can be very warm and stuffy. My only fault with the hotel is that there is no hospitality tray and it is nice to be able to make a cup of coffee after a long day sightseeing. However there is a starbucks and many other places for take away coffee on the doorstep, also, there was a very strong smell of smoke in the room on our arrival. We did not have breakfast in the hotel because it was quiet expensive and I was glad of that because we discovered La Boqueria a food marked located off La Rambla you must visit there. We had breakfast in one of the many tapas bars located in centre of the market on a couple of mornings and it was great. Lovely omelettes, fresh bread and freshly brewed coffee for €5 each. Barcelona is a great city to visit I would recommend that you do your homework before you go because there is so much to see and do so that you do not miss anything. One thing the metro system is difficult to use, and signage to some attractions are non-existent. I would think the tourist buses are best for getting around, and seeing the sight. You must visit the Gothic area. Look out for Milk a lovely cafe. Barcelona has an abundance of small bars and restaurants.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2009

My Wife and I had a four night stay for the weekend of St. Valentines, Could not fault this hotel, rooms were great for size and comfort the blackout curtains and most comfortable six foot bed made for a great nights sleep after a long day exploring the city,
Breakfast in the morning was lovely excellent choice and loads of fresh coffee to go with it.
Unfortunately I had work to do while here but the wi fi Internet connection in the room was great and meant I was able to complete the e-mails I had to send easily and with utmost speed.
We had a meal in a restaurant just along the Via Catalanes at an Argentinian Steak house called Patagonia Beef and Wine, Absolutely outstanding Quality and service highly recommend this.
Occasional Rumble heard from the Subway but never bothered either my wife or I

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Sierra Madre, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2009

I stayed here in late December of 2008. The hotel is very conveniently located right near Pl. Catalyuna and Las Ramblas. It costs a little over 4 euros to take the shuttle from the airport to Pl. Catalyuna and is about a 30-40 minute journey. Pl. Catalyuna is also the main drop off and pick up point for the Bus Turistic.

The rooms were really nicely decorated with a modern feel and were incredibly comfortable. The rooms are also equipped with a small fridge.

The staff was very helpful in answering any questions I had and were well versed in English. There are a couple of computers located on the 2nd floor of the hotel where the bar is at with free internet use.

Personally, I had no issues with the rumbling of the metro as our room was located on the 10th floor right below top floor with the pool but I can imagine it being a nightmare for people staying on lower floors.

• Liked — Comfort of the room
  • Disliked — Rumbling of the metro below the hotel could cause potential issues
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kilkenny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2009

We stayed at the Jazz in mid-January 2009 and I have to say that despite the fact that we didnt spend much time at the hotel we couldnt find much fault with it (and we are extremely picky people).
Check in was very quick easy, and a girl named Isabella was very polite at reception, spoke excellent english and was extremely friendly.
When we got to our room we found it to be clean and very well presented. It had climate control so we were able to regulate the temperature ourselves, which is very handy considering how odd the heating in some hotels can be, always too hot or too cold. The beds are just so comfortable, I wanted to ask if I could bring mine home with me. And the bathroom was also very modern. The one thing I did find odd about the room was that there was no mirror in the bedroom itself, only in the bathroom which was a bit of a pain getting ready to head out at night.
In terms of location the hotel couldnt fault it at all, very close to shopping, la rambla and only a few steps away from the metro station which was serviced by two lines that could bring you almost anywhere. In addition the airport bus drops you off only two minutes walk from the hotel (but FYI it doesnt pick you up there to go back to the airport, you have to catch it Plaza de Catalunya.
Overall I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a value for money, central, comfortable hotel.
Just two things I do feel the hotel could improve on were the reception staff. As I said our check in was great. But later that evening we went to another girl and asked where would be good to eat, it was as if she had just arrived in Barcelona herself and just rummaged out a few cards from the drawer and sent us on a wild goose chase. Also I have to say that when we'd arrive back to the hotel the staff would rarely raise their head and offer a hello or goodnight which is all part of making the customers feel welcome. But I guess these are only very minor things and they wouldnt put me off staying at the Jazz again.

• Liked — Very comfortable rooms
  • Disliked — No mirror over table in room
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2009

We stayed at the Jazz at the end of January, I booked it after reading the positive reviews on this website, we only paid £100 a night and was very impressed with what we got for our money. The hotel is only about a 15/20 min taxi ride from the airport (costs about 20 to 25 euros) we booked into reception quite early as we had an early flight; check in was speedy and the receptionist was friendly and polite and the room was already ready for us. We had a room on the 6th floor (room 612) it was modern and spacious. It was also very clean, something I cant say for some of the hotel rooms we’ve visited over the years! I’ve uploaded some photos of our room so please judge for yourselves!! And we didn’t notice the metro noise at all, although as mentioned by others perhaps this was because we were on one of the higher floors.
The location of the hotel is also another major plus point, it has 2 metro stops within easy walking distance, it’s also a stones throw from the Plaza Catalonia and Las Ramblas. Infact we walked from the hotel to the seaport, a lovely walk looking at the shops and the market on the way!
As our stay at the Jazz was all too brief we didn’t have time to use the rooftop swimming pool (plus it was a bit to chilly for our liking anyway at this time of year!). All the hotel amenities looked great i.e. the bar and breakfast et al.
We found a lovely little place to eat lunch and snacks just over the road from the Jazz called the Vienna café; I’d definitely recommend popping in if you get the chance!
All in all I’d certainly recommend the Jazz to anyone who asked me about it and when we go back to Barcelona we will be staying at this hotel again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — no tea/coffee in rooms!!
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
indecisive266
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2009

I was recommended this hotel by a friend and was really glad we took his advice, really nice hotel-fab location, close to Las Ramblas, metro, shops etc.
Rooms were spatious and clean, lots of hot water & soundproof windows. A lot of the reviews mention that you can hear the metro, we were on floor 7 (top floor) and we could hear it slighty but this did not bother us at all.
The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful and we had a really good stay, i would totally recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Jazz? Share your experiences!