“Brilliant!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 518 Hotels in Barcelona
Hampshire uk
“Brilliant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Me and my partner stayed at this hotel for 3 nights from 7th November. We are in our young 20`s so were a bit nervous as its the first time we have been away just the 2 of us. However, the staff at the hotel could not have been more helpful and accomodating. We arrived at 10:30 am fully aware we couldnt check in until 2pm, but we upgraded our room and were able to use it straight away.
We were handed maps to give us directions of our surroundings and when we wanted to visit somewhere, they were so helpful with the routes we needed to take. We got a T-10 ticket for the metro which took us to Las Ramblas in about 10 minutes. Felt so safe and comfortable after being warned about pick pockets but we had no issues. 5 minutes from the hotel is the old bull fighting ring which is now shops and restaurants offering a great view at the the top. Amazing restuarants there too we ate at the Italian and the Spanish resataurants where they we so friendly.

We walked to the Nou Camp which was soo easy to find within 25minutes. Again the Hotel staff pointed us in the right direction. The bed was massive and so comfy. The shower was a power shower which was great. We also had a TV in our room which allowed us to watch SkyNews in English. Tea and coffee facilites were provided as part of our upgrade. Room was always cleaned and offered fresh towels. Next to the hotel is a hypermarket which offered anything you could need! Also lots of other little shops around.

As long as you are prepared to do some walking and use the metro the hotel is perfect. Iwouldnt have wanted to be in the main city centre as we enjoyed the peace and quiet. We walked to the montijuc fountain which behind is where the old olympic stadium was held. For us being young, i feel i would come here again and we managed to see a lot within our 3 days in Barcelina mostly being on foot!

Great trip.

Room Tip: We did pay the 12 euro upgrade for our room which meant we were on the 17th floor. View was amazing...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights, getting a really good deal at £225 including breakfast. Following advice on the forum, on check in we paid another 15 Euros per night to upgrade to a room on the 11th floor with great views of the city. The room was clean, great power shower and I have never known such comfortable pillows. Some have said the beds were uncomfortable but we had no problem.

We didn't expect much in the way of breakfast for the price but we were pleasantly surprised. Lots of choice - enough of everything for all tastes and regularly replenished. OK, the breakfast staff were a bit surly, but professional and in any case I don't like too much over the top service first thing in the morning. All of the other staff were helpful and seemed genuinely happy to help with our queries. My daughter had a special birthday cake at breakfast from the staff and then another from the front of house staff at teatime sent up to our room.

The hotel is a bit out of the city but this caused us no problems. Metro and main station is just over the road and taxis by the bucket load at the front door,

All in all, a great hotel for the money and I would certainly recommend it - especially if you get the deal we did (with VivaStay)

Room Tip: Upgrade for a better view. Walk down to Tarragona Metro for local trips rather than trying to negot...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Rochester Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for four nights and found the hotel to be modern pleasant and sufficient for our stay in Barcelona.

Pros:
---Rooms are fairly large by European standards and include spacious large room with large bathroom ( twin sinks,bath,toilet and walk in shower).
----Location to Sants Train Station and Metro (this is nice as if you want to buy tickets to lets say Figures to visit dali museum you just walk out and the station is in front of you. There is also a supermarket in same complex as hotel where you can buy food/water/softdrinks etc

Cons:
--Location: it is located a bit far from the main strip but that always a cab away or metro away....it can be blessing in disguise as you dont have to deal with craziness of Las Ramblas
Not a great deal going on in surrounding area...no restaurants nearby but a 15 min metro ride or 5-10 min cab ride away

Room Tip: Get higher floor room upgrade; you pay extra but wont be disappointed;
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
greece
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

The hotel is near to Sants estacio (metro station) and in a few minutes you are in the centre. The location is nery safe and you can go on foot at night. We stayed 3 nights at the 12th floor and we had a comfortable stay, the room large, the bathroom huge and a beautful view. We didn't pay for a breakfast because the cost was 12 x3=36 euros/day, very expensive. The pillows were amazing and the hotel has doule windows and there is quiet and one window in the room can open. I was disappointes with three things. We paid for a collection room because we would like to have coffe making facilities. The only machine we had was a kettle in a bad condition. I would prefer a coffe machine. When i made my booking reservation there was offer of the hotel for a welcome coctail. They didn't offered to us. Two days before my arrival , the hotel sent to me a form and asked me i was interested for events, museams et. and about the view of my room. Nothing at all i have asked. There was nothing about the city, sights et. The view of my room was the Sants Station. I think that next time i will prefer to stay at plazza Espanya because there are more restaurants and cafe for breakfast and dinner.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
El Tarter, Andorra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

In the past when visiting Barcelona, I have always insisted on staying in a hotel right on La Ramblas, this is more for convenience than anything else.

However on my last trip, due to school holidays, all of my usual favorite hotels were full, so I begrudgingly stayed at a hotel located near Sants (the train station). This was mostly due to reading other peers reviews on this wonderful website (thanks Guys).

That is how I discovered this wonderful hotel, the family suite was absolutely huge, big enough that I have recommended it to my friend who has four children, the beds were all King size & indescribably comfortable, even the pillows were like giant marshmallows.

The hotel has cleverly installed double glazed glass, floor to ceiling windows on its external walls, so the views stretch on forever. I was located on the north eastern side of the hotel & could see the entire city spread out below, including the fabulous statue of Christopher Columbus framed by the Mediterranean Ocean.

The staff were friendly & not fazed by my five year olds attempts to ride on the baggage trolley. In saying that, the hotel was not over run with unruly kids & on the whole is more channeled towards the business clientele & as such retains a quiet dignified reserve which manages to not be stuffy or unfriendly.

I highly recommend the breakfasts at this hotel, you won't be disappointed. The coffee is good & your table is given freshly ground coffee in a thermal container which holds three good sized cups. For all those coffee lovers out there, this saves the tedious back & forths to the coffee pot which is often located on the opposite side of the room to where I am usually sitting! However, I digress, the selection is huge & covers both the traditional Catalonian breakfast choices right down to the tried & true eggs & bacon which I accompanied with delicious home made baked beans. There is a vast range of fresh fruit, baked produce & cereals complete with bowls of hazelnuts, dried fruits including prunes & other tidbits to supplement your mornings dietary desires.

Overall I cannot fault this hotel, even the location was not a problem as the lower rates more than compensated for the daily taxi ride into the center of the city, which shouldn't set you back more than 12 - 14 euros return.

If you have the time relax in the comfortable bar, while we were there, the lady who worked behind the bar was very attentive & kindly gave my little boy coloring in pencils with paper & kept up a steady stream of complimentary chips which he devoured at the rate of a Gobble-dock. This gave my husband & I, the rare opportunity to unwind & relax over a beer in the evening, something all parents dream of.

For those travelers who are child free, the hotel has a spa area with a gorgeous pool. This area is reserved for those over the age of 16yrs, I think this is a great idea because even as a parent (or perhaps especially as a parent) there are days when you want to chill out & escape from the pandemonium of small children & float around in the warm pool without the usual threat of the unglamorous & horrifying experience of being bombed by an exuberant five year old.

On all future trips to Barcelona, this is going to be my hotel of choice & the one I recommend to family & friends. I hope this review is helpful & if you do choose to stay there & see a small boy riding on the baggage trolley, don't worry, it's just my little fellow playing cops & robbers...

• Stayed November 2012
Livingston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Stayed three nights at the G T C and had a pleasant and comfortable stay. Spacious rooms with large bathroom - twin sinks,bath,toilet and walk in shower. Breakfast is taken in the Visual Restaurant on 23rd floor with fantastic views all around the city with good views of the key landmarks on a clear day. Good breakfast selection with cereal,fruit,cheeses.....cooked breakfast, pastries and juices. The location is fine if you are happy to use the Metro and being located close to Sants rail station a Metro stop is nearby. Not a great deal going on ....restaurants etc in this area but a 15 min Metro trip takes you to Plaza Catalunya and the top of the Ramblas

Room Tip: Upgrade room for an additional €12 a night plus tax + tourist tax. This gives you a higher floor spa...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
malmo, sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Location is convenient if you are catching an early train. Easy access to all other parts of Barcelona from here. Next time I'd rather live closer to the old town again since the area around the Barcelo Sants station isn't very charming or happening. Although right next to the station the area felt very safe, which is not always the case for cities of this size.
I had a room on one of the highest floors and the view was very nice, as was it from the breakfast area. The room was clean, the bed comfortable. The staff was friendly and professional.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Been to Gran Hotel Torre Catalunya? Share your experiences!