“Excellent location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Banys Orientals

You added Hotel Banys Orientals to your Saves list
Hotel Banys Orientals
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   c/ Argenteria 37, 08003 Barcelona, Spain (El Born / La Ribera)   |
Ranked #207 of 514 Hotels in Barcelona
Certificate of Excellence 2014
UK
“Excellent location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2008

We stayed in the hotel for a family wedding taking place nearby and it was ideal because of the location. Located centrally in the centre everything is on hand.

The area
El Born district is really nice with lots of lovely tapas bars within a stones throw away. Very close to the marina and beach too.
Nearby is a cafe / bistro called Milkat 21 Gignas (www.milkbarcelona.com) which is great for brunch
If you come out of the hotel and turn left I'd recommend the tapas bars there (eaten in them several times) and a bit further up take a right and there is a bar called La Luna which is a good place to visit.
I would make one note of warning, this is a touristy area and late at night the atmosphere changes (after the tapas bars shut)-don't go walking around on your own as there are a lot of unfriendly characters about. Also beware of carrying too many valuables with you. We enjoyed sitting out in the tapas bars on the friday night around midnight but the next evening we were still out post wedding at 1 / 2 am ish and it was quite a different story

The hotel
The staff were all really friendly and helpful during our stay and couldn't have done more for us.
The rooms were nice but very modern. This was fine for us but if you don't like chic modern this isn't the place for you.
The suits are of a generous size and located in a building a couple of doors down (something to be aware of if you have children).
Our room was very spacious but some of the other family members rooms were not as big. The beds are the same size in all the rooms (very large about 6ft) which is great but the size of the bathroom varies and not all have baths. However this wasn't a problem for us as we didn't want to spend much time in the room.
If your room doesn't have a fridge then there are some located in the hallways with free still and sparkling water which is really handy and a nice touch.

I've been to Barcelona several times and would highly recommend it as a city to visit. Its easy to get around, there is lots to do and see and its a vibrant place.
Agua on the beach front, near the Port Olympia, by Hotel Arts is a lovely restaurant (booking recommended).

In a nutshell
Excellent value, I'd stay again. Nicely designed hotel in the Born district, in the old town. Get’s booked up quickly

• Liked — Its location
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Tustin, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2008

I wanted to love the Hotel Banys Oriental because it got such great reviews here on Tripadvisor BUT my stay was almost a complete disaster. The desk staff is not knowledgeable about the city, beyond sending you to the sightseeing bus and directing you towards La Rambla. Everything else is as though they lived elsewhere. It's very true that the hotel is centrally located and that is by far the best thing one can say about it. The room we had was small with only a small kitchen type chair to sit on if you used the other one chair to open your luggage on. This is totally forgivable in my mind but my wife has a back issue and found the room very uncomfortable.

The worst and most grevious offense was that we had a 6:30 AM flight and wanted a taxi for 5:00 Am so we requested a wake-up call for 4:15 AM The desk called at 5:00 when the cab driver got there and reminded them he was to carry us to the airport. It was a miracle we made it or our connections, hotel and plans for the rest of our trip would have been spoiled, not to mention we would have had to stay in Banys another night when they were admittedly completely booked.

T

• Liked — The associated restuarant adjacent to the hotel it was fabulous!
  • Disliked — The staff!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
Athens
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2008

For my money, staying in Barcelona is expensive, even for a few nights. I decided that since it was impossible to find decency at a fair price, my sister-in-law, my wife, me & our year-and-a-half son, why not stay at one of Banys Orientals suites, that, according to tripadvisor's tourist opinions and Banys internet site, seemed suitable for a couple, an extra guest and a baby, overlooking that it cost nearly 180+ euros per night with no breakfast included. We were given suite 42, at an old building near the Maria del Mar church, three minutes walk from the hotel, in the Born district.
Now, there was free still & sparkling water in the fridge, there were three apples as a welcome present on the table and the main room and the bathroom were nice and modern and not small at all, as some say. The baby cot was free of charge. And every morning I walked down to the hotel to get my emails (on the first floor there were two pcs with internet connection), with no problem whatsoever.
On the other hand: the suite was not very quiet (although it was located at the back, with the disappointing view of the neighbor's linen), due to the paper thick walls (typical of Barcelona but nevertheless unacceptable), and there was only one chair if you wanted to sit down. Moreover, the suites' building did not have a reception and the entrance was dark, so the women were a bit nervous each time we got in or out at night, especially after we witnessed a pickpocketing incident inside the nearby church!
But actually our dismay aroused as soon as my sister-in-law found out that her "room" was actually the small sitting-room, her "bed" was the sofa and that each time we had to go to the bathroom we had to enter her "room".
The suite, in other words, is not really made for a third person, who, as it is, feels more like a nuisance than a guest.
However things got worse towards the end, as the sheets were not changed and the floor was not sweeped for 3 (three) whole days, notwithstanding my repeated remindings to the reception that we had a baby with us who naturally spent all his time on the floor!
We tend to believe that this must be a matter of the maid not doing her job right, but the rest are clearly faults of the management. Free water is nice but not essential (40 cents at supermarkets) as is the convenience of the third person, or supervision of the actual cleanness of suites.
Banys could easily improve to be what is advertised. But to be, as I read, one of the top 40 mediterranean staying spots? No way, I can easily find 40 staying spots in my country alone, Greece (and I have some others in mind in Italy or France for example), far lusher and far cheaper than Banys! But, you see, they are not located in the tourist centre of Barcelona, which by the way is a stunning city. In my opininion, most Barcelona hotels (and I've stayed in others as well, in the past) would find it difficult to compete anywhere else really...

• Liked — its location, suite decoration, free water
  • Disliked — cleanness, no decent accomodation for third person, no breakfast incl
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
Stockholm
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2008

Great location, really nice, clean rooms for under 100 euro per night for a double room.. what more can you ask for? I recommend this hotel to everyone I know, it's such a good place to stay for a weekend in barcelona. I will be staying there later this year again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Dublin,Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2008

Having had a really bad experience staying in a prison-like hostel for our first couple of days in Barcelona, myself and my friend were looking for somewhere we would feel welcome and where we could relax after a hard day's touristing/partying! The Hotel Banys Oriental fulfilled all our needs, ticking all the boxes and more!!

We were allocated one of the suites in the annexed building. We had reservations about being based away from the main hotel at first but these were unfounded. We were delighted with our chic, well-designed spacious suite with a balcony overlooking the pedestrianised street below us, and a mezzanine with comfy sofa. The decor was modern yet understated and elements of the original Gothic architecture had been retained which made this a unique hotel experience.

I think what made our stay in the Hotel Banys so good was the fact that we were made to feel like we were being looked-after which was in stark contrast to our stay at the Hostal Fontanella just a short distance away (see my review under the title Control Freaks!). ALL the staff were SUPER helpful and friendly and were more than willing to make our stay the best it could possibly be. We thought the cost of the suite at 135euros was great value for the standard of decor and service we received. The added extras of free water in the fridge, a bowl of fruit and free internet access were just some of the details that made our stay in the Hotel Banys a memorable one. I've been telling all my friends about this gem of a boutique hotel!! GO THERE!!

• Liked — The staff, location, decor…EVERYTHING!!!
  • Disliked — Nothing to dislike!!!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2008

We stayed here at the recommendation of friends. For the price, you definitely cannot beat it, especially given that you are right in the middle of El Born, but it really is not all that (contrary to the glossy recommendation in the Phaidon Wallpaper Guide). The staff wasn't all that friendly - it was almost as if they were doing us a favor by answering our questions or helping us out - and the accomdations are just really basic. I just have a problem with two twin beds being put together and having it be called a double. Also, the black-tiled bathrooms had some sort of paper on them for "effect" and that was peeling on the shower floor - not exactly the most hygenic, to be honest.

Worst of all, there was this blaring construction going on right outside of our window, which made siesta and sleeping in a bit of a challenge. If you just want a place to sleep, dump your stuff and shower this place is suitable, but if you want to pace yourself I would find another place to stay.

• Liked — Location, Price
  • Disliked — Service, Cleanliness
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Stockholm
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

We were three friends that stayed in one of the suites.

Starting off... the location was very nice. Five minutes from the harbour with great restaurants and sights, ten minutes from Ramblas and a couple of blocks from the Jaume I metro station. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We tried the breakfast one morning and it was a good buffé with lots to chose from, though I was missing a real good cafe con leche. We didn't try the restaurant for dinner, so I can't comment on that.

As I said, we stayed in one of the suites. Ours was located in another building about 150 meters away. It was very spacious and stylishly decorated. Fruit and water were provided free of charge... love that! If things like room service and on hand staff are important to you, then the suites might not be what you want. But we are quite independent travellers and liked being on our own exploring the city using the room only for sleeping. And the price can't be beaten... 130 euros(+ 40 for extra bed) per night!

I have been to Barcelona several times and had seen all of the major sights... so this time I did a day trip to the Montserrat monastery. It was wonderful... I highly recommend the trip!

• Liked — The price and design
  • Disliked — Nothing really worth mentioning
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Banys Orientals? Share your experiences!