“Birthday Treat...and how!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel DO Placa Reial

Save Saved
You added Hotel DO Placa Reial to your Saves list
Hotel DO Placa Reial
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Placa Reial, 1, 08002 Barcelona, Spain (El Barri Gòtic)   |
Ranked #4 of 517 hotels in Barcelona
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Birthday Treat...and how!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Not a significant birthday, but a treat nonetheless. Reception staff, wonderfully welcoming, spotted the date from my passport and we were treated to a bottle of extremely good Cava next day. The restaurant was stylishly unostentatious and the food as impressive as the attentive, but not at all intrusive, service. Eating tapas on the terrace was also a delightful experience.

The room was comfortable and clean. Fresh fruit, chocolate treats, free mini bar of soft drinks all added to the feeling of luxury. And then there was the bathroom; beautifully fitted out and equipped with luxurious toiletries.

The jewel in the crown, though, was the staff. Nothing seemed too much trouble and there were always smiles. It is a wonderful place in a brilliant location and we will certainly be returning.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

273 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

When I'm traveling on business, I'm a big fan of Four Seasons. I just want excellent and invisible service and bascically, as many of the creature comforts oh home as possible. But when traveling for pleasure, I prefer to be a "little closer to the ground". I want to know I'm NOT at home, but I don't want to sacrifice service, location or comfort. For this reason, I always seek out the best boutique hotel I can find. And WOW; this time I achieved a new high!

My husband and I and two teenagers spent four days in Barcelona during a three week trip to Spain in December (2012)/January (2013)

Hotel Do is, simply, perfect. A former youth hostel that underwent what must have been a tremendously costly reno and re-opened in it's current iteration in January? February? of 2013, it is 18 rooms of perfection. (Have I used that word often enough?) Located on the very busy and very centrally located Placa Reial, I suspected, regardless of what I read, that noise might be a bit of an issue, but I was willing to chance it, based on looks, reviews and location. First of all, they have nailed te noise issue. Shuttered windows blacked out not only all light, but all noise. Didn't hear a thing until we chose to. The ideal.

The rooms. What to say about the rooms. Dark hardwood flooring throughout both massive bedroom and massive bathroom meant we were traipsing around in (however clean) someone's else's DNA (yes, I'm one of those - lol). Beautiful white linens on the exceptionally comfortable king-sized bed, floor to ceiling, full-wall closets and a lovely little sitting area by the window (I'll attach a photo of the view from our room if I can figure out how) completed what is probably the "prettiest" and most functional hotel room I have ever stayed in.

The bathroom deserves it's own paragraph. The dark hardwood floors continue into the bathroom. A huge double vanity with ultra-modern, sleek and beautiful white sinks and fixtures gave of a very definite "spa" vibe. The rain-head shower, EASILY big enough for two people to shower together - errr....I think ......was a joy. Top-drawer amenities, (a selection of body soaps and shampoos - his and hers ) in pump bottles continued the spa feeling. And then we had the soaking tub. Not only the perfect size, but the perfect angle/slope to enjoy a good long read in the tub - a personal fave. At the far end of this already huge bathroom was the closed off toilet with a hammered (stainless steel?) door to ensure complete privacy.

Two quick and easy points that every other supposedly five star hotel could learn from. Every morning, a plate of chocolate-covered strawberries magically appeared in our room. And every evening, a plate a chocolate truffles. Small, but absolutely lovely gesture. Secondly, a pillow menu. THANK YOU GOD. I'm not as princessy as this may make me sound. I am 56 and have a neck that i would often like to disown. Having a choice of pillow firmnesses and filling was an ENORMOUS joy to me. I don't see that as often as I'd like and truly appreciate the extra effort and investment this option requires on the part of the hotel.

Service. Not ONCE did I call the front desk and wasn't immediately greeted by name. Not once did I make an enquiry that wasn't met with such genuine enthusiasm and - dare I say it - GRACE, that I finally asked what the secret was. Everyone seems so genuinely happy to be working there. Apparently the only "secret" is the family that owns the hotel genuinely wants everyone - including their employees - to be happy. This attitude was consistent throughout the hotel; front desk, bar, both restaurants.

The first night, exhausted, we elected to eat on the main floor outside dining patio. Three weeks in Spain (Madrid, Segovia, Barcelona, Toledo) and the Tapas we enjoyed there certainly ranked in the top four Tapas experiences of the trip. Coupled with a waiter who could not do enough for us and was happy to make recommendations whenever asked and we were seriously tempted to eat there again the next night. But we didn't let ourselves. And I still regret that.

This is already too long a review, but I have to add one small thing. Two mornings we chose to eat breakfast in the downstairs dining room which was almost empty. And both times enjoyed a beautiful meal. Only after we had left did we hear that there is a (apparently well-founded) rumour afoot that the dining room (again, the downstairs dining room) is already being whispered about in Michelin circles. While I can't attest to the verity of that rumour, nor did I have dinner in this dining room, I certainly didn't experience anything that would be inconsistent with one-star. Quite the opposite.

Bottom line: As much as I enjoy finding new and exciting boutique hotels, I would look no further when I return to Barcelona. For my money, this is simply as good as it gets. Period.

Room Tip: Ask for an iside room with a view to the courtyard. STUNNING.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Positives: great location, great service, lovely comfortable beds, molton brown toiletries and a modern tastefully decorated room, free soft drinks in mini bar, Very helpful staff - good restaurant recommendations. Negatives: room wasnt ready till 4pm which was quite a long time to wait considering we arrived at 10.30am! & not as much choice in the breakfast.
As you can see the positives far outweigh the negatives. Its a lovely hotel in a great location & the nothing is too much trouble for the staff - true customer service!

• Stayed February 2013
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

stayed there for business; best service i had in a long time; friendly and helpful. beautiful hotel, well designed. room was great, clean and comfortable, new and although not big - specious enough. location is also excellent, on ramblas facing a beautiful square, walking distance form the port. highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I just spent a week at Hotel do Placa Reial. Very small hotel (5 or 6 rooms on each floor) in a great location just off Las Ramblas. Cute, small bar on the main floor with a good selection of wine and cocktails. Very helpful staff. My room (on the 3rd floor) looked over the Placa Reial - very pretty. Great bed, big closets, and very nice bathroom (separate tub and shower). Only reason the hotel doesn't get 5 stars from me is because it can be noisy. Late at night there are loud revelers in the Placa stumbling their way home. If you are a sound sleeper, the hotel is perfect. If not, bring earplugs.

The restaurant in the lower level of the hotel is great. Fantastic food and presentation. Not cheap, but worth it.

Would I stay here again? Definitely.

Room Tip: The room are all different so be sure to ask which way your room will face (into the Placa, over the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Torino
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We were were so happy to have this well-located refuge in a busy city. Our room was large, extremely quiet and comfortable, with a great bed, plenty of room for storing things, and a lovely view of the Placa. We liked that the toilet could be shut off from the rest of the bathroom, and, in a town where so many people smoke, the lovely room spray was most welcome. Breakfasts were unbelievably delicious and generous and fortified us for long, art- and architecture-filled days. (Art lovers shouldn't miss the Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya, as well as, of course, the works of Gaudi and his contemporaries.) As others have mentioned, the welcome beer/Cava at reception was gratefully accepted, and the before- and after-dinner snacks were special treats. Despite reading everything provided, we never did master the complicated lighting system, and, except when one of us inadvertently turned on lights in the middle of the night, we found the room generally dark at night though very sleek. This was somewhat offset by two comfortable chairs under a reading lamp and a bright desk lamp, but we needed our flashlight to see in the closet. While the receptionists were extremely personable, none were able to translate our interests into exciting, walkable restaurant recommendations. (The hotel's restaurant, La Terasse, was recommended and a disappointment as we hoped for a traditional paella and got only rice and some not-so-tasty lobster for quite a lot of $$). We did bump into two restaurants that might have been interesting had they not been closed for Christmas Eve, the last night of our stay, but we now know they are there.

Room Tip: Room 32, even though next to the elevator, was completely quiet.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We had a wonderful stay here this month. We stayed for 4 days and could easily have spent two weeks with Hotel Do Placa Reial as our base as it is a good central location to walk to many attractions and has easy access to buses, taxi's and metro.
The staff were warm and friendly and put us at our ease from the moment we arrived. Nothing was too much trouble. On one occasion I couldn't get the safe open. I phoned reception from my room and within 10 minutes it was repaired.
We had a lovely spacious room with balcony looking out onto the square with a lovely en suite bathroom, separate shower, large bath and toilet. Our room had a huge bed and I had the best nights sleep I have had in months. There was also a free non-alcoholic mini bar in the room. Extra touches such as a couple of tangerines or strawberries dipped in chocolate and a weather forecast for the following day were left in our room which made us feel spoilt.
We had no idea what to expect from the restaurant and chose the tasting menu. It was the best meal we had during our stay. Each course was a feast for the eyes as well as the tastebuds and we were very happy to shake the chef's hand and thank him in person after our meal.
We enjoyed a visit to a jam session at Jamboree Jazz Club just a few steps from the hotel and next to that is a venue for Flamenco dancing.
Thank you Hotel Do Placa Reial, we had a wonderful stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel DO Placa Reial? Share your experiences!