“Great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #470 of 723 Specialty Lodging in Barcelona
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Hostel Palau It was a great surprise considering the price. The rooms wore very clean,. The receptions staff was very nice and helpful. The breakfast was good, nothing to complain about. I highly recommend this hostel because of the location/

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

A large group of us stayed at this hostel for a few nights in April. Luckily, it was not too hot and we didn't have problems with staying cool, like other reviewers had. However, besides the location of the hostel, the rest of our stay was horrible. First, one of the guys in our group got pink eye while staying here. Second, the bathrooms are absolutely horrendous. The communal girl's bathroom smelt horrible, the showers were ice cold, and the floors were covered with water from showers. Third, the rooms itself were not safe. Our group took up all the beds in the room, however, having no lock on the door to the room did not feel very safe. We also found that the keys to one locker could open up other lockers. Lastly, the service was outrageous. We got in very late to check-in and the night staff was pointless. They were unaccommodating, extremely rude, and started our trip on a sour note.

Also note that many of our cab drivers had difficulty finding this hostel. I would recommend having a map with the hostel's location handy if you plan on taking a cab directly to the hostel.

Needless to say, I will not be staying at this hostel again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Rovaniemi, Lapland, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

When you pay 25€ per person for a night in a touristic city and right in the city centre, you really don't expect much. But this hostel had a lot to offer: free Wi fi, free breakfast, staff 24/7 and clean facilities. Of course it's not a five star hotel quality but it was very pleasant to stay there. We were travelling as a couple. We were in room 109 next to the reception. We had our private toilet, but we had to share shower facilities. However, It was a bit noisy sometimes in the evening or when the loud doorbell rings. If we go back to Barcelona, that's where we gonna stay for sure.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, null, Hong Kong
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Although this hostel is located in a convenient location to La Rambla and nearby small side streets, I've found the staff and service to be poor. Of the three attendants managing the hostel, one is unfamiliar with any of the regular systems or practices of running the hostel. The night attendant is unfriendly and unwilling to accommodate any needs. Apparently the hostel common area is closed between midnight at 8am. There is not even a place to sit. During my stay, I needed to use a computer and connect to the internet. It was not possible to do this as wifi did not reach my room of 8 beds, but also the common room computers were restricted and the only place I could sit was on the floor in front of the door. Needless to say, the wifi only worked 25% of the time, and even then I was not able to make any Skype calls where the other person could hear me. The staff and management was unwilling to help in these situations. I will not be staying here again and I would not recommend it to anyone else.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Fez, Morocco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

I stayed here for 6 nights. It is a small hostel with a nice kitchen and common area. Free wifi and two computers for use if you don't have your own. Breakfast was a bit weak, but no big deal. Staff were very friendly. Supermarket just around the corner. In the heart of the Gothic Quarter, very close to two Metro stops, La Rambla, and the beach.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
preston, uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

We stayed 1 night in Feb. We checked in after getting really lost in our car and just parking it randomly and looking around for a hotel. We a hostel in a guide book but when we got to the front door we couldn't get in (didn't know which buzzer to press!) and this one was handily next door with clear buzzer instructions.

I don't know if the hostel has private rooms but we were offered 2 beds in a dorm of 8 so we went with that.I think we were charged 18 Euro's each for the night. Steep for what it was, but considering the average hotel price is way over 100 euro's it's probably not that bad!

Everything was as expected, make your own bed up and lockers by the bed etc.

We got showered (they kindly lent us towels) and prepared to head off for food and drinks. What we didn't expect was the magical street view from the room's balcony which could have been easily missed. It's small and was only really big enough for the 2 of us to stand on with a beer each and marvel at the sunset :-) I think people sling their towels out to dry there and miss the beauty of it all or are just unlucky and haven't caught it at the right time of day!

The shower rooms were quite big in the ladies - not sure about the mens?! but only 1 out of 3 that I tried had hot water which was a bit weird - maybe I wasn't patient enough to let them get hot?

The amount of bars and things near the hostel is amazing. All variations of food, loads of shops and loads of pubs and bars. We had a great night. Expensive but great.

It's a shame about the noise. I woke (hungover/still drunk) on my top bunk to complete darkness (the shutters they use are great) I could hear all sorts of people laughing and shouting outside and shop shutters going up and down. I thought "oh well, get up and make the most of the included breakfast". So I got dressed, slid of the bunk and woke my boyfriend in the opposite bunk to see what time it was. 4AM!!! Oh dear. So I went back to bed for what seemed like the longest, noisiest 4 hours of my life and the sad thing was that inside the hostel, although busy, there was no noise at all! Silence!

At breakfast we ate some of the cereal available, it was pretty rank but served it's purpose. The cartons of orange were great in a hungover state, as was the coffee. Other than that there was some fruit.

Overall, if it wasn't for the outside noise I'd love this place, I'd just buy a box of quality cereal and be happy as a pig in ....! Best thing is the location. It would just have topped it off to sleep the hangover off rather than suffer awake!

Room Tip: Rooms away from the road maybe - al we heard were drunks and shop shutters!!!