“Great location and friendly, comfortable hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of H10 Montcada Hotel

You added H10 Montcada Hotel to your Saves list
H10 Montcada Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Laietana 24, 08003 Barcelona, Spain (Sant Pere - Santa Caterina i la Ribera)   |
Ranked #60 of 518 Hotels in Barcelona
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Great location and friendly, comfortable hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

We stayed here 20 - 25 May having booked a flight and hotel package with BA and were very happy with the entire experience. The hotel has a perfect location for the Gothic area, Las Ramblas and the sea front and we were given a friendly welcome. Our room, 302, was not large, just fitted a double bed, but was perfectly adequate as we wished to tour the city and not the room. tripple glazed windows, large TV, air con, mini bar (which we used for our drinks) and bathroom with bath made it a very pleasant stay. The bed was exceptionally comfortable and had silk like linen. The room was spotless on arrival and spotless after every maid visit. Only slight gripe was that we had a Nespresso coffee maker whereas a kettle would have been best for all customers who like tea or coffee. Yes you can hear and feel the underground metro but you can all over Barca so I don't know what the hotel could do about that, it certainly did not bother us. The roof terrace has a fantastic view over the city and we enjoyed several very enjoyable evening drinks with a friendly service. Las Ramblas is a 10 mins stroll, the marina area 15 mins, metro 100m and open bus tour bus stops 400m away. There are countless cafés, bars and restaurants within a 10 minute stroll of the hotel. We would definitely recommend this hotel for couples who wish to enjoy Barca and will definitely go back.

Room Tip: We think room above the third floor are not triple glazed so maybe a little noisier especially if yo...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
stafford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

Stayed at this hotel from 11th to 15th May and was very happy there. Room was small but had everything we needed (no bath but this was not a problem to us). Staff were lovely, friendly, helpful and efficient.

The hotel is spotless and the breakfast more than adequate. The rooftop bar and hot tub is a real bonus with lovely views over the city. The Metro is opposite the hotel and the open-top tour bus stop is a few yards away.

I would definitely recommend this hotel for a city break.

Room Tip: Back rooms are quieter as the the road at the front of the hotel is very busy.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Drogheda
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

Stayed for 4 nights in May. Arrived early & room was ready & available.....but, we were given room 407.....best described as a matchbox!!! Totally unacceptable for the price we paid. We registered a complaint with hotel staff, but were told no other rooms were available. We were told to come to reception the next day to see if a suitable room was available? We were moved immediately the next morning to a larger room at the front of hotel....6th floor.....better standard of room. We had booked through Ebookers, but would not use them again, as we seemed to get sub-standard accommodation as a result. The location was excellent and the cleanliness faultless. The rooftop bar was a nice bonus. The hotel took care of our luggage after checking out, which allowed us freedom to continue our explorations before heading to airport. Can't rate higher than a 3 due to the first room? that we were allocated. Room 407 should only be used for storage!!!!

Room Tip: Do not accept Room 407
Washington DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

3.5 stars would be more accurate...

I live in Spain and enjoy frequenting H10 hotels because it's a wonderful boutique hotel experience -- great attention to detail, delicious breakfasts, and amazing locations. Basically everything big chain hotels seem to fail at, H10 has mastered -- a welcome drink upon check-in, a free bottle of water in your room, Espresso machines available for use 24/7, free wifi, and did I mention wonderful breakfasts? Yum.

However, my recent stay at H10 Montcada rattled my enthusiasm. Some staff members were rude and the hotel (though exceptionally located) was just too darn loud. I checked in with three couples for four nights. One room was on the third floor and you could feel the subway vibrate -- it was not scary but it felt like a minor tremor. The second room had a massive a/c leak on the third day and the staff was unable to relocate them until 3pm because that's "the normal check-in time." This confused me since we were not checking in for the first time and the a/c leak inconvenienced my friends who had to pack up and move. When I pushed the staff for a more reasonable response, I received a verbal thrashing from a surly woman at the front desk -- "Every client is the same to me no matter who they are or what the circumstance, so you will wait until 3pm." Considering I'm a repeat customer, this was unnerving. All I needed to hear was, "We're sorry and please have a glass of cava while you wait." I had another frustrating run-in with the bar tender. It's not very clear when the rooftop bar and jacuzzi are open/closed, so my group arrived to a closed bar, plopped into the cozy chairs, and decided to open a bottle of wine that we had bought earlier that day at a vineyard. When the bar opened, we also ordered a bottle of wine from the bar so we rang up a bill. Nonetheless, we were chastised harshly by a bartender who told us we were breaking the norms. It was bizarre.

The hotel rooms themselves were small but comfortable. Comfy beds, good lighting, great showers with solid water pressure. In fact, the hotel rooms were just renovated. But it's the only hotel I've stayed at in Spain that doesn't have double windows to block the sound. The result is that you hear the traffic (Via Laietana is a busy road) and late-night people walking by the hotel. I was on the 5th floor and got sick of the noise, so I downloaded an iPhone White Noise app to block it out.

If you're most interested in location, this hotel has it made. Definitely stay here as it's right in front of the Gothic quarter and next to the Born neighborhood. But if you're looking for a quiet night's sleep and a more personal touch, consider H10 Port Vell down the road. Also nicely located, I loved my stay there because it's more peaceful and the staff was more cheerful.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

I stayed at the Montcada with a group of friends for a birthday weekend, sharing a spacious and impeccable twin corner room (though my friend, the birthday girl, was less lucky room-wise- see review by AbFab666).

The hotel was really easy to get to, a five minute stroll from the last stop on the airport bus into town, and brilliantly located near the Picasso museum in the Born area with its maze of characterful lanes and quirky shops. I loved the chic little roof terrace, a real sun-trap with a little bar and jacuzzi, and the perfect place to relax before dinner with a book and a cheeky Cava.

Most of Barcelona's sights are easily walkable from the Montcada, but taxis are also super-cheap. Sadly, the city's famous felons relieved me of my iPhone on the last morning as I browsed a quiet open-air craft market - so I have to endorse the 'Crimewatch'-style warnings - but I will be back, and I'll stay in this quietly stylish hotel again. Oh, and my final tip, do book online in advance for attractions like Parc Guell and the museums, unless queuing for hours floats your boat.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are bigger!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

H10 Montcada is an ideal base, right opp Jaume 1 tube station on yellow line and only a 10 min walk to Liceau on the green line with a direct route to Les Cortes station for FC Barcelona at the Nou Camp. Very near to gothic cathedral, Las Ramblas & the harbour area. Numerous bars & restaurants within couple of mins walk. Hotel staff very friendly and helpful. Rooms small but adequate and well equipped with very comfortable beds & excellent shower (we had room 504). Breakfast plentiful and varied (cooked and continental) and constantly replenished. Roof top bar lovely on a warm early evening after a days sightseeing, drinks reasonable price with cocktail happy hour 4-7pm! This was our first visit to Barcelona and wouldn't hesitate to stay here again (we booked flights & hotel via BA). Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Room 504 was on side, slight road noise if window opened but not enough to be a problem.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
HMBARCELONA, Director Comercial at H10 Montcada Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Dear TravellingLUFCfan,

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing the H10 Montcada Boutique Hotel for your stay in Barcelona, and also for leaving your opinion in Tripadvisor.

We are delighted to see that you enjoyed our city and our Hotel.

All the staff is really looking forward to welcome you soon.

Kindest regards,

Victor Juanto
Sales Manager
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Four months ago I booked a room in the Montcada H10. There was no option to select a twin or double room, so I followed up the booking immediately with an email notifying them it was my birthday weekend in April and I wanted to reserve a twin room. I received an email saying they 'would try'.

Between family and friends we booked five rooms. We all arrived at different times of the day, and were told it had been a first come first served basis. I was then given a room with a double bed .... to share with my female friend. How rotten was that - on my birthday!?

The staff couldn't be bothered to do anything to help our predicament, we were simply told that we could move into a twin after two nights.

On moving day the staff asked us to pack all our belongings, bring them down to reception, and leave them in a communal luggage storage room until the twin room became available. We refused, and suddenly it was fine to leave our belongings in our room until they could move us.

For an apology I asked whether they could give us just one room after check out for the afternoon so all ten of us could store our belongings and have showers prior to our flights ... of course they couldn't!!!

Room Tip: Unless you're a couple or family I wouldn't risk booking a room at the Montcada.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
HMBARCELONA, Director Comercial at H10 Montcada Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear AbFab666,

First of I would like to thank you for sharing your opinion of our Hotel.

I totally regret what happened with the allocation of your room, but would also like to inform you that when guests request a twin room, a high floor, an interior room, are always requests and subject upon availability. Our staff always try too do their best to satisfy guest's desires.

I will be very pleased to welcome you again in your next visit to Barcelona.

Kindest regards,

Victor Juanto
Sales Manager

Been to H10 Montcada Hotel? Share your experiences!