“Poor bar service” 1 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Poor bar service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW via mobile

Visited the hotel bar with nine business colleagues late at night but was received with alarming disinterest. It took us nearly 20 minutes to order a few beers, even by guests of the hotel. I hope this report makes a difference as the attitude shown by the bar staff seemed unlikely to change easily.

Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Blanca_Sarrias, Departamento de Calidad at Gran Hotel Princesa Sofia, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Distinguished Travelers,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor, following your recent stay with us.

Please, allow me to begin by apologizing for the inconvenience caused. I would like to assure you that this concern has already been extended to the F&B Operations Manager and his team in order to improve for the future, and we do always make sure that any learning is taken.

We passionately do our utmost to ensure that all our guests have a memorable stay and we are so sorry that we failed to deliver this commitment on this occasion.

We do hope this isolated case will not discourage you from returning to the hotel, we would like to bring your trust back in us and make you feel appreciated as a loyal guest.

Should you wish to return in the future, please I beg you not hesitate to contact me for anything you may need; I would be delighted to be of help.

We certainly hope to hear from you very soon.

Operations Assistant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
North Carolina, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Let me begin by saying that the lobby, service, staff, restaurant, and spa at this hotel are all superb, well deserving of the five-star status this hotel enjoys. All of the common areas are gorgeous, clean, and staffed by knowledgeable, friendly, well-mannered staff. The food in the restaurant is extraordinary, and the staff at the spa were tasteful and talented.

My husband was on a business trip and I was accompanying him. We had five days together as a couple (vacation time) before I left and his work there began. He said the conference rooms and other facilities were also top-notch.

As vacationers, however, the location left quite a bit to be desired. There is nothing nearby (other than one small mall and a department store, and one pizzeria which was delicious). The walk to the nearest Metro was about 6 large blocks (10-15 minutes walk). So, for going anywhere else in Barcelona, it was on the inconvenient side.

Also, the room left a lot to be desired. Honestly, I've stayed in rooms at Holiday Inn Express that were nicer than this. The furniture was very worn, with rings from water glasses on the wood, and one of the two chairs had its stuffing so worn, it was actually painful to sit in. There were some cracks in the tile in the bathroom, and mold in a few areas of the tile in the shower.

We did not make any complaints to staff about the room, so I don't know whether or not they'd have moved us to a better room if we had.

Overall, if I were accompanying my husband on a business trip and this is where the company booked the room block, I would still be appreciative and would enjoy staying there, but if I were scheduling a vacation and choosing my own hotel, I would stay somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Distinguished Travelers,

Firstly, let me thank you for giving us the privilege to be at your assistance in Barcelona and for taking your valued time to post your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

While we were very pleased to read that you were thrilled with our staff, food quality and facilities, we would like to take this opportunity to apologize that you were disappointed with the room allocated. Please rest assured that if you considered giving us a second chance, we would be delighted to ensure you got a superb room and you feel looked after.

We will certainly pass on your appreciation to all the staff who are masters on making our guests wishes come true. We are all so pleased for your cherished recognition. On behalf of the team and myself please receive our most sincere acknowledgement for your comments.

Please I beg you do not hesitate to contact us at any moment should any requirement arise, we would be delighted to be at your service once again.

On behalf of all the team I do hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I spent two nights at the Princesa Sofia last week when I attended a conference in Barcelona. This is primarily a hotel for business travellers (and those who are there to watch a football match at Camp Nou). It is not in the normal tourist area, though you can take a Metro train from nearby Maria Cristina station. It is about 20 minutes ride to Catalunya, where La Rambla begins. From the airport you need to take a taxi.

The facilities are those of the average hotel of this category. There was nothing wrong with my room--it was clean and comfortable--though there was nothing special about it, either. There was good, free Wi-Fi connection, which is important for business travellers like myself.

What made my stay at the Princesa Sofia memorable was the kindness of the staff. Although I came in contact with only several of them during my stay, they were all pleasant and willing to help. As an experienced traveller, I believe that what is important about a hotel is not the building but the people who work there. For this reason I will be happy to stay at the Princesa Sofia again.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Me and my wife stayed there for 3 nights because we went to a Barcelona match and one day to see the city.

Hotel is very nice and in a perfect location for Camp Nou staduim (5 minute walking distance). It also has very good connection to all public transport (Metro, Bus, Tram) all in walking distance. It's also good if you like shopping because there are a lot of shops nearby.

Once you leave the main lobby you can see it's not a 5 star hotel, because you can see the age in it. It's not bad, it's still very nice, but it's not a 5 star.

Staff was more than helpful and very friendly and the food was great too.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms have a great view on the city.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Booked this 5* hotel for a couple of nights as it was the wife's birthday but was left a little disappointed. The room was average with a shower head in the bath rather than a separate cubicle. The pool area wasn't up to much either. The beer in the bar was over 10Euro a glass and the bar tender didn't even bring back my change. At best this would only make a 4* in the UK,

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Blanca_Sarrias, Departamento de Calidad at Gran Hotel Princesa Sofia, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Distinguished Travelers,

First of all, we would like to thank you for giving us the chance to be your host in Barcelona and for reflecting on TripAdvisor your view about your recent stay with us.

Please be assured that all your valuable feedback has been transmitted to those concerned. Please accept our apologies for not being able to exceed your expectations.

We would like to convince you that making your stay memorable was our main wish, but we have not succeeded. I am confident that if you considered granting us another opportunity in your next trip to Barcelona, we will do our utmost to demonstrate you that we are indeed committed to a terrific 5 stars experience.

I remain at your entire disposal and beg you not hesitate to contact me for any assistance. I would be delighted to be at your service.

We look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed with a group in the Princesa Sofia hotel last week, we had an amazing stay. Tums up to the staff, very helpful, kind and they made us feel very welcome. A special thanks to the concierge Pedro, he keeps an eye on everything! For a next trip we will definitely think of this hotel again!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Neath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We travelled as two couples for a birthday weekend in August. The staff were very helpful in providing maps and ideas of where to visit. On our friends birthday we were provided with a cake free of charge as a surprise in the room which was a nice touch. Rooms were clean and comfortable with functioning air con and nice bathrooms. Breakfast each morning was included and was beautiful. Plenty of everything and delicious freshly squeezed orange juice. Hotel was in a good location close to the metro without being in the hustle and bustle.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Gran Hotel Princesa Sofia? Share your experiences!