“Great concept, meh execution: If you want to sleep on a cruise ship, book a cruise ship.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Eurostars Grand Marina Hotel

You added Eurostars Grand Marina Hotel to your Saves list
Eurostars Grand Marina Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Moll de Barcelona s/n, 08039 Barcelona, Spain (El Raval)   |
Ranked #146 of 518 Hotels in Barcelona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Eurostars Grand Marina Hotel sits at the end of a pier, a 10 minute stroll from the beginning of the fabled Las Ramblas. I was on vacation and I wanted to go to the beach and get to know Barcelona on my first visit to this absolutely gorgeous city. Well, I LOVE Barcelona. The Eurostars Grand Marina? Not so much.

Here's why it's only so-so:

1. Concept: Great concept. Well, no, that's not true: I like the fact that it HAS a concept. But after this ship sailed, it sank. Why build a hotel at a cruise ship terminal to resemble a cruise ship? Wouldn't you want a break from the ship?
2. Not 5 stars: Maybe I'm a snob, but this is a solid 4-star property. I'm lucky enough to spend a lot of time at nice properties (and perfectly adequate ones too). The Grand Marina not only lacks character and style, but also class.
3. Crap beds: My room had two twins pushed together. Very common in Europe. Still, the bedding and the beds were just not up to snuff.
4. Spacious rooms with amenities (at least my room was spacious, and that was okay, being a relatively modern hotel).
5. Good staff.

All that said, a hotel is somewhere to sleep. And in Barcelona, a city that seems to NEVER sleep (seriously, bars are empty until WELL after midnight; I don't understand how people work or lead normal lives and socialize there--still loved it), your hotel doesn't necessarily need to be full of character and/or luxury.

Yet, aside from the above, this is why I will NOT book this hotel again on my future visits to Barcelona, which I can't wait to get back to:

1. Location. Yeah, you're a 10 minute walk from the base of Las Ramblas, but it's 10 minutes of walking on the pier. Getting to the actual beach by foot is a 30 minute walk, at least. Nicer walk, but still. Your on a pier where ships dock. If you're not on a cruise ship and this is not part of a package deal, you really have no place here.

2. Location: Again, you're on the water, but you're a 30 minute walk, each way, to the closest beach!?!

3. Location: You're at the base of Las Ramblas. And, for me, Las Ramblas is not what I loved about Barcelona, although some tourists do. Now that I have a better idea of the city, I will either stay on the beach (if I want a part beach vacation and I'm willing to cab it at night, or I'll stay in one of the many neighborhoods I fell in love with, where you just walk right out your hotel door--and there are tapas bars, stores, life--not storks, bird poop, cruise ships and a cable car.

Definitely not a BAD hotel--and it definitely might be great for cruise ship passengers or perhaps even for families wanting a quiet get away from the hubub of a city bursting at its seems--without being totally isolated from the pulse of this one-of-a-kind metropolis.

But, definitely not for me.

Additional items of interest:

1. Pool: TINY. I've seen many inflatable pools that are much larger.
2. Gym: Okay.
3. Sun deck: Good.
4. Food: Restaurants looked great, but never ate there.
5. WiFi: Available, but I still keep getting emails from their service provider, which is annoying.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
kuwait
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

of course the location is excellent maby that why the hotel Administration is was Arrogant

yes the rooms was nice and clean but not that big the location was nice but not front of the sea except few rooms which is more expensive of course ,the building look like front sea view but its not because Half of it is office's
I booked before 2 months of my stay and before only one day thay send email to tell me i should book another room for my 13 years old sun because the room i booked was family room is only for 2 adults and one child not older than 12 !! i get confuse i didn't know what to do i cant let my sun stay alone in room thay put me in pad position i had to book a single room for me !

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is rated as a 5 star hotel. The good part is the breakfast, good food and nice people. Me and my wife stayed from Friday to Sunday. We had a good dinner and came back to the hotel app. 23:00 The temperature were set to 22C but it was more like 27C. We tried to reduce the temperatur, but it did not work. The we opened the window to decrease the temperatur. The aircond was now set to 18C. We felt a sleep, but waked up app. 03:00 again 27C !! The day after I was a little pist after a bad night sleep. Now we reduce the temp down to 16C before dinner. And yes, it was still 27C when we got back to the room. Then I called the front desk and they told me that they will turn on the aircondition? Okay ! After 30 min the temperatur was down to 18C and we were happy. But, then 03:00 the temeprature is back to 27C and now the windows opener is gone. I did not call the front desk since it was very late. The day after I complained and I really expected some response from the management side. But NO ! I guess they save power closing the aircondition during the night? We are frequently in Barcelona with a huge team, but we will never stay here again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Hi,
Stayed here with my wife for 3nights 14-17Feb..Have to say, we really enjoyed our stay..
Check in went very smooth, we got upgraded on arrival to a half city half sea view room, and we also received a complimentary drink..
Location is good, if you dont mind 7min walk to bottom of Las Rambles.
I was very impressed with the service in this hotel. No job was to big, we had a problem with the safe,they sent someone up immediately to repair it..I asked for extra towels..again the service was impecable..
However the best thing about this hotel, was the breakfast..The choices were endless!
I ordered freshly poached eggs every morning, followed by a selection of tasty breads and cold meats, cheeses etc..even tried the Cava once or twice!!
We did not eat in the restaurant any other time during our stay..so cannot comment on that, but if the breakfast is anything to go by, im sure it was fab also..
We only had the one drink in the bar..it was ok bit overpriced in my opinion, and you dont come to Barcelona to drink in Hotel Bars!
The room was also great,,good size and a pillow menu, which my wife liked..
The bathroom was excellent. There was a jacuzzi bathtub and a powerful shower..there was also a good selection of toilitries..and a Welcome pack, which we thought was a nice touch..
The only slight deawbck about the room was that the air-con did not work..However we just left the balcony door open at night, so it was not really a problem..
I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a fun time in Barcelona..
We got a great rate on-line €109 per night which included breakfast!..Which I thought was very reasonable for this standard of Hotel.
Also the Hop on Hop off sightseeing bus stopped outside the hotel door which was handy..
There is also plenty of taxis right outside also..
All in all we had a great time and hopefully we will return soon!!!

Paul

Tip: Go on to the eurostars website, and sign up to receive e-mails about there latest special offers..thats what we did, and got a great deal..

Room Tip: We had room facing the city, and we loved it
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

I would agree with most of the good reviews so far: excellent hospitality, clean hotel, great breakfast.

But for an objective review, I must add that:

1. As far as location is concerned, the hotel is close to Las Ramblas but not that close to shopping belt or other sights along Passeig de Gracia although there is the Drasannes metro stop 10 minutes walk away.

2. Our room had a leaking bathroom sink in our room which wasn't promptly attended to during our 4-day stay. The hotel only informed us on our last afternoon that they could only repair the sink if we moved to another room and by that time, we were already too inconvenienced to bother with that option.

3. Seeing how slow they were to respond, we also bore with the broken lock handle of the sliding glass door leading to the balcony.

4. One needs Herculean strength to pull/pull the sliding door of the bathroom.

5. We were told no airconditioning is provided during winter so you have to leave the windows open for ventilation.

6. Not not rooms have a nice view and ours faced offices but it was of a decent size. Other rooms have a city view but are tiny in size so it's best to inquire when booking.

• Stayed February 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We have just come back from a 4 night stay and we really enjoyed it. We stayed in a suite and it was absolutely stunning! We were worried when we first arrived that we were a bit out of the way but it really is the perfect location for everything Barcalona has to offer. The staff really made the difference, everyone we came into contact with was friendly and helpful. I read the other reviews and people who say this isn't a 5 star hotel are talking rubbish it's definitely worth it's 5 stars! The only thing I would say as a minor negative was that our AC was not working in our room, the room was unusually hot and the first night was uncomfortable. I reported it to reception the next day but it was not fixed during our stay. Having the balcony door open made the room a nice temperature so it did not turn out to be a major issue, it just would have been nice to have it working but I would still definitely recommend this hotel!

Gainsborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Just had 2 nights at the grand marina.great location.rooms were spacious and stylish.the staff was very helpful and welcoming.the only down side is there is no tea/coffee making facilities.overall a loverly hotel for a city break.

Room Tip: Rooms near the elevators are a bit noisy.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Eurostars Grand Marina Hotel? Share your experiences!