Eurostars Grand Marina Hotel sits at the end of a pier, a 10 minute stroll from the beginning of the fabled Las Ramblas. I was on vacation and I wanted to go to the beach and get to know Barcelona on my first visit to this absolutely gorgeous city. Well, I LOVE Barcelona. The Eurostars Grand Marina? Not so much.
Here's why it's only so-so:
1. Concept: Great concept. Well, no, that's not true: I like the fact that it HAS a concept. But after this ship sailed, it sank. Why build a hotel at a cruise ship terminal to resemble a cruise ship? Wouldn't you want a break from the ship?
2. Not 5 stars: Maybe I'm a snob, but this is a solid 4-star property. I'm lucky enough to spend a lot of time at nice properties (and perfectly adequate ones too). The Grand Marina not only lacks character and style, but also class.
3. Crap beds: My room had two twins pushed together. Very common in Europe. Still, the bedding and the beds were just not up to snuff.
4. Spacious rooms with amenities (at least my room was spacious, and that was okay, being a relatively modern hotel).
5. Good staff.
All that said, a hotel is somewhere to sleep. And in Barcelona, a city that seems to NEVER sleep (seriously, bars are empty until WELL after midnight; I don't understand how people work or lead normal lives and socialize there--still loved it), your hotel doesn't necessarily need to be full of character and/or luxury.
Yet, aside from the above, this is why I will NOT book this hotel again on my future visits to Barcelona, which I can't wait to get back to:
1. Location. Yeah, you're a 10 minute walk from the base of Las Ramblas, but it's 10 minutes of walking on the pier. Getting to the actual beach by foot is a 30 minute walk, at least. Nicer walk, but still. Your on a pier where ships dock. If you're not on a cruise ship and this is not part of a package deal, you really have no place here.
2. Location: Again, you're on the water, but you're a 30 minute walk, each way, to the closest beach!?!
3. Location: You're at the base of Las Ramblas. And, for me, Las Ramblas is not what I loved about Barcelona, although some tourists do. Now that I have a better idea of the city, I will either stay on the beach (if I want a part beach vacation and I'm willing to cab it at night, or I'll stay in one of the many neighborhoods I fell in love with, where you just walk right out your hotel door--and there are tapas bars, stores, life--not storks, bird poop, cruise ships and a cable car.
Definitely not a BAD hotel--and it definitely might be great for cruise ship passengers or perhaps even for families wanting a quiet get away from the hubub of a city bursting at its seems--without being totally isolated from the pulse of this one-of-a-kind metropolis.
But, definitely not for me.
Additional items of interest:
1. Pool: TINY. I've seen many inflatable pools that are much larger.
2. Gym: Okay.
3. Sun deck: Good.
4. Food: Restaurants looked great, but never ate there.
5. WiFi: Available, but I still keep getting emails from their service provider, which is annoying.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Mediterranean surrounding, Avant-garde Art and a soft sea Breeze envelope the privileged facilities at the Eurostars Grand Marina Hotel ***** GL. It is located in the World Trade Centre – leisure and business Complex in the middle of Barcelona's Old Harbour. The colourful Ramblas street and the magic of the Gothic Quarter make the perfect match for a unique feeling which is to be experienced from any of the eight floors of our magnificent Hotel. Both businessmen & women and leisure tourists will find in the Eurostars Grand Marina Hotel a wonderful place to enjoy a perfect stay, surrounded by every possible amenity and comfort. An excellent communications network that connects the Hotel to the Old Town and to the Financial District simply adds that little extra to a truly luxurious offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Venere, Agoda, Orbitz, Priceline, getaroom.com, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, EasyToBook and Tingo so you can book your Eurostars Grand Marina Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eurostars Grand Marina Barcelona
- Hotel Eurostars Grand Marina
- Eurostars Grand Marina Hotel Barcelona, Catalonia