“Location, Location, Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hostal Grau

You added Hostal Grau to your Saves list
Hostal Grau
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   C/Ramelleres 27 | Raval, 08001 Barcelona, Spain (El Raval)   |
Offers & Announcements
€15 off room rate
Ranked #126 of 514 Hotels in Barcelona
Boston, Massachusetts
“Location, Location, Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I stayed here over 5 years ago but then found that somehow Trip Advisor had saved this in my places somehow. I looked but didn't see a review posted from me so I thought I would write a quick one, although some things may have obviously changed.

When I stayed here in 2007 I was on a very tight budget but wanted my own room. Location was key, and in that regard this place was perfect.

Hosteria Grau is A FEW BLOCKS AWAY FROM THE GOVT RUN TOURIST BUSES THAT ALLOW YOU TO HOP ON/HOP OFF. This is a must for people visiting, particularly for people on shorter stays as there is so much to see and do in Barcelona. Barcelona is huge, but I found this to be very central. I hardly ever used a taxi and got a great overview of the city in 2 full days. I only slept, bathed and used the internet here, but I love my stay. Everything was as promised and while I had no en-suite bathroom, things were tidy and worked out fine. Honestly, even with a larger budget now, I would strongly consider staying here again...but I would budge 3-5 days minimum.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Polish first
Frankfurt
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

The hotel is very well located, in a small street parallel to the Ramblas. close to Plaza Catalunya where you can get, for instance, the bus to the airport.

We had booked an apartment because there was no rooms left anymore. The apartment was in the adjacent building, the access stair to it was dark and dirty. The apartment itself was also dark, old , poorly furnished, ...... so ugly that we ask to change to a normal double room. The staff was helpful and found a double room available from the next day on.
The room was very good, very small but nice, clean, pleasant!

No breakfast was offered because the restaurant was being renovated.

Our stay in the hosteria Grau was OK but I would not specially recommend it.

Room Tip: Avoid the apartments
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed here because we needed a room for four. We travel with our two teenagers. We were supposed to have one big room, but we got two connected rooms. We arrived on a very rainy day after a long train and subway ride. They were kind to get our rooms ready for us, so we could unwind for a little. The rooms were a little dark and the small windows opened up into alleyways. The lighting did not make up for the lack of natural light. It was nice to have two bathrooms and get the two rooms for the price of the one room. We didn't take breakfast here, as we got up too late. It is a tiny lobby and I am not even sure where the breakfast room would have been. It was an okay location off the top of the Ramblas. It was a fine experience, and staff was friendly enough, suggesting restaurants, etc., but I would probably look for another hotel next time.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
HosteriaGrau, Propietario at Hostal Grau, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Thank you for your opinion, it will help us to improve with the renovation that is going on at this moment.

We are making the room bigger, bathrooms, bigger as well, a new restaurant, a lounge with a fireplace, a vertical garden at the back and anothe vertical garden outside. We will get the leed certification(Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design)which is a rating system and environmental sustainability for buildings developed by the U.S. Green Building Council.

Hosteria Grau is closed at this moment , as you know, and it will remind like this until March 10th 2013, it is when it will be the time to begin a new stage. We will not be an standard hotel that you can find in every corner, we won´t be a “fashion” hotel that you can see in every city in the world, we will be that “special hotel” that keeps its personal cozy style and makes it unique. Always feeling like home....

i hope you change your mind and give us a chance . You won´r regret.

best luck for this 2013.

monica
DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We spent several days at this hotel after being delayed by Hurricane Sandy. The hotel was great, the staff was friendly and helpful, and the location is perfect. It is about a block off Plaza Catalunya. The hotel was clean and looked like most of it had been renovated not too long ago. There was a little construction on the second floor, but it was quiet at night. Many rooms had their own bathrooms, but we spent one night in a room with a shared bathroom on the hall. This was not an issue as there are not that many rooms on the floor anyway. Free WiFi, but there are no TVs in the rooms. There is a lounge area with a TV and a computer, and they were rarely in use and always available. It is close to public transit, restaurants, and the Terminal Aeroport Bus stop to the airport. Overall it is simple, clean and in a great location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Ottawa, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I spent three days at the Hosteria Grau at the end of a month-long journey around Spain and found that it was the perfect way to end such an incredible trip. Situated on a side street on the west side of La Ramblas, the Hosteria Grau is a small, unassuming little gem that had a very homey feel to it the moment I walked into my room (actually, you feel it when you walk around too - there's a nice lounge with a computer and books you can borrow). As a solo female traveler, I was also quite happy to see that the entrance was controlled at all times of the day (ie. you had to get buzzed in by the front desk person). The room itself was quite large and very clean. I will say that, similar to other posters, I found the shower stall quite tight (I'm a little on the bigger side and I found myself constantly knocking my elbows against the shower door or the wall). Aside from this, I had a very pleasant stay and would recommend the Hosteria Grau to anyone visiting Barcelona.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

If you want to be near the heart of all the nightlife stay here. In fact you will want ear plugs there is so much nightlife. We could not sleep one night. It was horrible, loud and into 4 in the morning. Garbage trucks at 2 in the morning too.

The rooms are bare. No toiletries like you might expect, such as soap, shampoo, etc. The rooms are dated. The staff were reluctantly helpful and not particularly welcoming.

When we left we heard they were about to start 3 months of renovations. I would be interested to see what they do, it would take so little really to make it charming. But I will never stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012
I do apologize for not replying before. I am very sorry to hear that you think the hotel is old fashion, noisy and that the rooms are empty. This is a family business that has been on since my grandfather started in 1965. My father took over 20 years ago and when he died I started to run it. Your opinion is very imporatnt to us and it will help me with the new works going on.

All the rooms have air conditioning and heating, towels, soap, wardrobe etc..I do not know what you mean by empty. The decoration is not old fashion but rustic. We are closed at this moment to make some big renovations: new rooms, bigger, new bathroom bigger as well, new decoration, double window so no noisy anymore, double wall between rooms, restaurant , lounge with fireplace, terrace on roof, vertical garden inside and outside of the building. We will get a LEED certification (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design)which is a rating system and environmental sustainability for buildings developed by the U.S. Green Building Council.

Hosteria Grau will remind closed until March 10th 2013, it is when it will be the time to begin a new stage. We will not be an standard hotel that you can find in every corner, we won´t be a “fashion” hotel that you can see in every city in the world, we will be that “special hotel” that keeps its personal cozy style and makes it unique. Always feeling like home....

I hope you change your mind and you stay with us again. You won´t regret.

Wish you good luck for this 2013.
Basking Ridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

What a find!! (thank you Rick Steves!). We had a great room with a delightful little balcony. Very modern and spacious bathroom. The light switches are antique and too cool! The staff at the front desk are so nice and helpful with excellent suggestions. Our room faced onto a narrow pedestrian street so there was some noise, but close the window and the shutters and we heard nothing!

Today they are closing until mid-February and will update the infrastructure while maintaining its charm - we can't wait to come back!!

Great price, great value, great choice!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hostal Grau? Share your experiences!