“WORST HOTEL EVER!!! THEY RIPPED ME OFF!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel Rey Don Jaime I
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   C/ Jaume I, 11 | Barrio Gótico, 08002 Barcelona, Spain   |
Ranked #447 of 518 Hotels in Barcelona
Sydney, Australia
“WORST HOTEL EVER!!! THEY RIPPED ME OFF!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

I had the worst experience in this hotel!! When I arrived to the Hotel I was literally just kicked out!!!!, they gave my room to another person! and i was treated very rude when the situation was not favorable for the receptionist. Anyway, they told me that they cancelled my booking and no charge was going to be done on my credit card. I had to find another hotel with my luggage on me. Days after I they charged me ALL THE NIGHTS I BOOKED FOR!!! even when i was totally kicked out from the place!!! If you value your time please don't consider this hotel as an option! Is the worst hotel ever! they want just to take your money if they can.

Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

I was so surprised at how great the location of this hotel was! It is so close to La Rambla, near Placa Reial, Placa Jaume, so close to the Jaime metro stop, and right in the middle of some great shops and places to get breakfast and coffee or lunch, plus walking distance (about 20 minutes) from the beach. The only thing that we couldn't walk to from here was Sagrada Familia and Parc Guell, but those things were kind of far away from everything. Anyways, besides the great location, we also had a beautiful room with two balconies. There were four of us, so they gave us 4 twin beds, which was nice. I always felt very safe because there is a person in the front desk 24 hours a day that has to buzz people in to enter the hotel. As with most places that are in an area near everything, there was noise. We brought ear plugs and slept fine, but I was happy I had the ear plugs. We were so happy with the hotel, and it made our stay in Barcelona SO great.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

I really don't get the bad reviews about this place. You get what you pay for. It's a very cheap option in Barcelona, in a GREAT location, in the heart of the gothic neighbourhood, steps from the underground and from the main square.

Yes it's really old and basic, yes the rooms are small, yes the linen and towels are old and can have stains, and YES you are in Barcelona and, after all, all you need is a place to sleep and take a shower as there's hundreds of great things to do in a short period of time.

I've stayed in great place and in not so great places and I travel A LOT and if all you want is a bed (but not a dorm with strangers), this place is good enough, I stayed in a single room and my parents and a couple of their friends in another 2 double rooms and it was really good enough to explore the city.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Kolkata
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

I have a fascination to book hotel which is near the metro station or bus stop. While searching/booking for hotels in Bercelona I found very little hotel which is near a metro stop. After thorough search I found this hotel where I stayed is very close metro station. This hotel is approximately 20 meters away from the exit of Jaime I metro station.

Bercelona can be regarded as one of the beautiful cities in the world. It is a vibrant city. The location of hotel is centralised. Museum is very near to this hotel. All the tourist points can be reached by metro. On my departure date my flight was in the morning at 0625 hrs. The taxi stand is very adjacent to this hotel. So there will no problem to catch a taxi whenever you want. All shops, restaurants are nearby to this hotel.

This hotel accept credit card. They have 24 hrs reception desk. This hotel is having lift. Overall it looks like old heritage type building. It is not like the modern type of building. They do not provide breakfast. The rooms are quite small but OK for solo traveller. This hotel charged me 45 euro per night, quite reasonable.

Room Tip: Always book online to choose best room
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

On arrival the receptionist informed us that only three of the four rooms we had booked and paid for in advance were available . When pressed he admitted that in fact there were four rooms available, it would appear that because two of the original sixteen people booked to stay were unable to make the trip he thought he could squeeze us into one less room and re-rent the fourth room. The rooms themselves were basic not very clean and very out dated. There is nowhere secure to leave any valuables and the surrounding area is riddled with pickpockets and prostitutes, I for one will never return to this particular cesspit.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Tamworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

Bit overpriced for what you get but the location is so amazing. Right in the heart of the Barri Gotic but also within walking distance of the funicular to Montjuic, Ramblas, the port and a Metro statuion is only a minute away by foot to get further afield.

Thought the rooms were cramped and outdated but clean and safe. The lobby was pokey but tidy. Plenty of restaurants and cafes to suit all budgets within a stones throw from the hotel. Nice to have a little balcony. On the back side of the hotel there is a great tapas bar in a building with a wooden arched door (sorry do not remember the name!). Excellent tapas and beer.

Word of warning; this hotel is very close to the town hall and the locals like a demonstration. When these are taking place the meeting place and/or final location is often the Town Hall.

I absolutely loved the location of the hotel and all the streets around it and the staff were friendly. The rooms were just a bit naff?

Unfashionable hotel in fashionable area. Really it is a 3.5, not a 4 but I'm feeling generous today!
I would recommend.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Liverpool
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

Was a little worried about staying here after reading the reviews but we found it to be perfectly clean and centrally located within a short walk of all that the Barri Gothic area has to offer. We stayed for three nights and although the hotel is old fashioned and the rooms basic, you get what you pay for and this place is a third of the price of most other hotels we could find in the area. Most important tip would be to pay a little extra to get one of the superior rooms in the annex. The reason being that the main hotel has dorm rooms and if you have the misfortune to be in a room adjacent to one of these you are likely to be kept awake by raucous teenagers ! A very good breakfast can be had at the Cappucino cafe just over the road and all the main attractions are a short walk away.
Don't be put off by the over-negative reviews, but do book a room in the annex if you want a quiet night.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Rey Don Jaime I? Share your experiences!