“Clean, convenient bargain near las Rambalas” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hostal Oliva

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Barcelona
You added Hostal Oliva to your Saves list
Passeig de Gracia, 32, 08007 Barcelona, Spain (Eixample)   |
Ranked #68 of 303 Barcelona B&B and Inns
Ellicott City, Maryland
“Clean, convenient bargain near las Rambalas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Incredibly cool foyer. Clean and comfortable room with a great location. Our family of 4 was able to stay in one room with its own bath. Very nice, helpful staff. I would highly recommend Hostal Olivia and would stay there again! You are surrounded by $400 per night hotels!! Incredible value.

Room Tip: Ask what they have available. Let them know how many are in your party. We were able to get a room t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hostal Oliva B, Gerente at Hostal Oliva, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you so much for your opinion.
We really appreciate your words, and we hope to see you soon in Barcelona, and be part of your experience in this amazing city.

Hostal Oliva

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Camp Verde, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

This is not a 5 star hotel, but for it's category it was perfect. We rented a room with an attached bath. The location was absolutely perfect for us - near Las Ramblas, close enough to walk to Sagrada Familia and the Barri Gotic area. You have to get buzzed in at street level, but the lady who worked the buzzer and the desk was always friendly. While her English was limited, she was willing to try and between our limited Spanish and her limited English we had good interactions. Free Wi-Fi was available as well.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your opinion.
We are glad that you had a great stay in our Hostal. Hostal Oliva wants to give to every guest the best experience of Barcelona, based on our experience and knowledge of the city. We hope to see you soon again.

Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

This is a small, vintage hotel on the 4th floor of a corner building only a block and a half to Gaudi's Casa Batlló, and just as close to the Metro.
The women at the desk were very friendly. I had a single room with shared bath. The room was tiny, but so efficient, with the perfect amount and arrangement of furniture, that I really enjoyed it. I think I only shared the bath with one other room, and there was a sink in mine, so it was no problem.
The one down side of this hotel is noise. I was quite close to Reception, so maybe it was quieter in other rooms. Guests ring the doorbell from street level, then ring the bell when they reach the hotel floor, then chat with the woman at the desk, then open and close their room's door. All of this echoes, as there are (wonderfully) high ceilings and travertine tile floors in the hallway. If they put carpet runners in the halls to muffle the sound, it would be fantastic.

Room Tip: I suspect the rooms farther away from reception would be quieter, but don't know about other sou...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
We appreciate your opinion.

As you may know, we also have single rooms with private bathroom, in case you prefer that option for another visit to Barcelona.
What it refers to noise, although we have a 24-hour Front Desk, we disconnect the door bell during the night minimizing the noise that other guest can make while they get to their rooms. We are concerned about our guests rest and having a nice sleep is one of our priorities.

Thank you for your words, and we will work for you to have a better experience next time.

Opossum Bay, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

3 blocks from Placa Catulunya. 1 block from Metro. Easy walk to everywhere.

Great value, charming helpful hosts interesting architecture and you get what you pay for, how could you want anything else.

I bought a 3 day metro ticket and used it once this place is so central to all the sights.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much for your opinion.

Our goal is to give each guest the best experience of Barcelona in a unique building in the heart of this amazing city.
We hope to see you again soon.

Hosal Oliva
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

One of the reviewers just ahead of me gave a one word description as I had planned. She put in words better than I, the uniqueness of this lodging. Even before I checked out I was thinking that in the broadest sense this is perhaps the most "elegant" lodging in which I have ever stayed and wanted to take the time on my return home to post a review using that word to describe the essence of this hostal.
I stayed here four nights the last week in October. I had read the reviews on this sight in August and emailed to book a room towards the end of September. I was concerned about the no credit card policy--but not to worry. The prompt email response gave me easy options to place a deposit and confirm my reservation. While I had wanted a room facing the street, the difference in price was significant as I would have to book a double. I opted for the single with the bathroom down the hall. I have travelled on my own for 40 plus years and this option has almost disappeared, which is so unfortunate, especially for those of us who travel solo. When it is available, I want to take it due to the huge cost savings. The truth is when done elegantly, as at the Oliva, there is no loss in comfort.
While when I am in a major city, I don't want to spend much time in my room, I do like a room in the center of things to stop by, change clothes, etc. I also do love to look over a wonderful street such as the Passeig de Gracia in the evening while I relax in my room with a glass of wine before going out for dinner. If I travel to Barcelona again, I may book a few nights in one of those doubles with the street view--it would still be great value.
I agree with all the remarks by Helen ; Xurxo58 and BluffHollow, who well may have been there when I was. I have to emphasize that the room was immaculate it had everything I needed (including a bedlight; nightstand and sockets to recharge all those things we need these days. The indow opened to a quiet balcony with a plant; the internet worked; and the bathtub down the hall was big enough for a good soak.
As noted, the entry and elevator were part of the wonderful experience; as were the door, the front desk and the long tiled hallways with a sitting room at the end. The original character of the building was not lost. As I speak no Catalan or Spanish, the proprietress and I did not have many conversations, but she is clearly part of what makes this experience so special. The one time I had to be understood so she could arrange an early am cab for me, she brought in an English speaker.
The location is wonderful-- a few blocks from the Placa de Catalunya; and the metro Paaseig Gracia. I thought I would regret not booking a hotel on the Rambla, but I did not. I was in the center of things and able to enjoy central Barcelona from the doorstep. I even was able to walk the few blocks to the hotel from the train I had taken from the French border which stopped at the Playa Catalonya.
I want to thank the proprietress and her housekeeper for such a special and wonderful place to stay in Barcelona.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Hostal Oliva B, Gerente at Hostal Oliva, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you for your accurate opinion.

Our intention is to keep the magic atmosphere of this unique small hotel in the heart of Barcelona, keeping the essence of every part of the house and giving to our guests an experience that can't be lived in any other place.
We are glad you enjoyed Hostal Oliva, and hope to see you very soon.

Garden Bay, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

After hearing a horror story from another woman solo traveller who had stayed in Barcelona (in another hostal not far from Hostal Oliva) a few weeks before my own visit to that city, I had some doubts of my own. Any trepidation I may have had was dispelled as soon as I was buzzed in through the elegant front entrance. I made my way up the delightful lift and was greeted at the fourth-floor entrance (which also remains locked) by a most welcoming owner.

"Genteel" is the perfect word to describe Hostal Oliva. The elegant little front desk was graced with beautiful fresh flowers, the atmosphere was quiet, the decor tasteful. My single room was small, which was not a problem, as I was out all day anyway. The modern bathroom fixtures were beautiful; the room had a new air-conditioning system (which I didn't need in October). I had no view, but again that wasn't a problem - I heard very little street noise.

The location is perfect: Hostal Oliva is on the same block as Casa Battlo, the Barcelona Bus Turistic stops right in front, and it's a short walk to the Metro as well as the Renfe. I walked to the Palau de la Musica Catalan for an outstanding concert on a Sunday evening, and had no problems at all walking back after dark. The Place de Catalunya is a couple of blocks down the street, across from which is the Apple store (where free internet access is available - in abundance!). I walked to and from the Barri Gotic one day, along La Rambla, and enjoyed peering into the high-end shops that define the neighbourhood.

The language barrier was surmountable: while the owner speaks little English, we managed to communicate in French, and the housekeeper, whose English is better, came to the rescue once or twice.

This is not a party location, but rather a wonderful spot for the visitor who wants to feel safe and welcome.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your opinion.

We are glad that you had a nice experience in Hostal Oliva.
Our work is to build and atmosfere were the uniqueness of our establishment and the experience of our staff help every guest to discover Barcelona deeply.
Hope to see you again soon.

KENT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Hostal oliva is a little gem right in the centre of Barcelona, we had the use of a room overlooking the Paseo de Gracia so we had a great view of this vibrant street.The hostal is clean and the lady who runs it is lovely and welcoming. We were there for a long weekend and Hostal Oliva was an ideal base to explore Barcelona and easy access to the airport.
A great place to stay...

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Hostal Oliva? Share your experiences!