“Perfect Location for Visiting Barcelona” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Montecarlo Barcelona

You added Hotel Montecarlo Barcelona to your Saves list
Hotel Montecarlo Barcelona
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   La Rambla, 124, 08002 Barcelona, Spain (Barrio Gotico (Barri Gotic))   |
Ranked #13 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cairo, Egypt
“Perfect Location for Visiting Barcelona”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Our stay at Montecarlo was smooth, comfortable, and a pleasure.

1- The staff are very friendly, welcoming and helpful with all requirements, questions and recommendations
2- The hotel itself has a peaceful atmosphere that is perfect to return to after a long day
3- The double rooms are spotless, beautifully yet simply decorated, and quite spacious
4- The location is perfect, right on La Rambla, and a few steps from Placa Catalunya, which is perfect for accessing all sorts of transportation (subway, buses, aerobus) as well as the hop-on hop-off tourist bus

I would definitely return to Montecarlo when I visit Barcelona again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I was exceedingly happy to find space at the Hotel Montecarlo during La Mercè festival when most hotels were either fully booked or charging ridiculous prices. I originally booked a small single but was upgraded to a larger single.

The hotel is incredibly central, directly on La Rambla, with Bari Gotic and La Ribera just to the east and El Raval to the right, my favourite areas of Barcelona.

My room was complete with a double-bed and a fantastic modern and super-slick bathroom complete with a huge jacuzzi tub, perfect for sore legs and feet after 9 hours of exploring Barcelona on foot. My only complaint about the room was that it lacking any form of natural light or view, it did, however provide complete darkness at night. The immaculate room had modern simple furnishings, an adjustable bed for sitting or sleeping, a nice bedside lighting system, good climate control. I could only fault on the complex TV control system which was rather slow and labour intensive.

My only general complaint was that the hallways were tiled so you could hear guests exiting the lifts, walking to their room and conversation and foot steps echoed significantly, so much so that it actually woke me up on two occasions.

Breakfast was served in a very attractive salon on the lobby level, the selection, however, for 14 euro, was just adequate and missed items like fresh fruit.

I'm aware that there's a huge variety of rooms and styles at the Montecarlo but value-for-money, the large singles are spot-on save for the lack of natural light.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade from the small single rooms to the large ones and you'll get a double bed and...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

This was my first trip to Barcelona and I am glad I stayed at this hotel. Firstly, the location was perfect for us. It was an easy 5 minute walk from the airport bus shuttle drop off point (Placa Catalunya). We got to the hotel several hours prior to check in, and the front desk went out of his way to contact house cleaning to see if our room was ready. It wasn't so the front desk held our luggage while we went out site seeing. One pointer I do want to mention is there is a side elevator for you to get your luggage to the upper floor lobby (we didn't realize this and dragged our 50 pound luggage up to the lobby). One of the most impressive aspects of our room was the very large bathroom. After staying in several European hotels, I wasn't expecting the size of the bathroom. It even had a jet jacuzzi which was especially enjoyable after being on my feet all day. Overall, I would stay here again.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

With all the warnings in the guide books regarding the petty crime on La Rambla we were a bit concerned before arriving at Hotel Montecarlo for a three night stay after our cruise. However the hotel was extremely secure and La Rambla while very crowded and lively was not a problem and should not be if you use common sense while walking on this avenue. It is great for people watching and getting a feel for the city. The hotel was extremely comfortable. Our rooms ranged from a suite to a standard double. All were clean and adequate, not luxurious. However the bathrooms were updated and the Japanese toilets were a surprise! Everyone at the front desk could not have been more helpful with our requests. We were very happy with our time spent. From the roof top a panorama of Barcelona can be seen. This hotel is most convenient to Plaza Cataluña, a few steps. If you want more quiet rooms ask for rooms NOT overlooking La Rambla. The breakfast selection was abundant and very good. We all agreed we would return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms are not in the front.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

This is one of the best hotels I have ever had the pleasure of visiting (and thanks to my job I've stayed at some pretty ritzy places, including the literal Ritz, and the 5-star Plaza Athenee in Paris).

First off, the service is incredible. The staff seems to make an effort to get to know the guests - as an example, they suggest (for security) leaving your room key with the front desk when you go out, and every time I returned, they recognized me and had my key ready before I could even ask for it. They offer helpful recommendations (sightseeing and restaurants). Everyone I met and spoke to seemed to take real pride and pleasure in offering impeccable customer service (unlike the people at so many hotels, who seem to think you should thank them for deigning to allow you to stay at their establishment).

The rooms are lovely, spacious, clean, quiet and comfortable. The bathroom was huge, with a Jacuzzi tub (great for relaxing after tons of sightseeing) and strong shower.

The location, as many have noted, was ideal. Right on La Rambla (yet my second-floor room was pretty much silent), so many restaurants and attractions were easily accessible. I myself am a big fan of walking, and I walked to all of the sites I wanted to see.

If (when) I visit Barcelona again, I will absolutely stay at the Hotel Montecarlo.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in September 2013. We stayed in a standard room #505. Situated on La Rambla 5mins walk Placa de Catalunia Metro.
Prior to arrival I had emailed the hotel for some restaurant recommendations as I wanted some special ones as we were in Barcelona for my wife's 40th - they emailed back with some great suggestions.
When we checked in they guy on reception knew that it was my wife's birthday and said that we would be given a complimentary bottle of Cava to enjoy. A really nice touch.
Room was a great size, overlooking a courtyard - not the best view, but they can't all overlook La Rambla! This is more than made up for by the access to the Rooftop terrace which gives you some great views.
Back to the room. There is a safe in the room, the beds are really comfortable and they can be adjusted to make them recline - all by remote control. Bathroom had a Jacuzzi bath which was a good touch as it helped soothe the muscles after a day exploring.
We never had the breakfast in the hotel. Being that it is on La Rambla and backs onto the Gothic Quarter you are not short of somewhere to eat. We had breakfast at Artisa down La Ramba. We eat at the 2 restaurants the hotel recommended. I asked for an Argentinean Steak restaurant & a Tapas. Whilst the Patagonia was good the Ciudad Condal was the best Tapas we've ever had.
The hotel did offer afternoon hot and cold drinks and pastries at no charge - again a really nice touch.
Although this hotel doesn't have a Spa and a restaurant - it's all the better without them. They do what they do to a very high standard and they make you feel very welcome.

Cannot fault this hotel.

San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We stayed 2 nights here at the end of a 2 week cruise. Our room was a junior suite so the cost was very high (400 Euros/night). However it was a great room with balcony overlooking La Rambla.

Insulation from normal street noise was excellent - however we had the misfortune of having a workers protest across the street. They were constantly blowing whistles, talking on a bullhorn and occasionally shooting off firecrackers. I asked the hotel staff to intervene but they declined, saying "There is nothing we can do". So I personally walked across the street and had a discussion with the protesters, finally persuading them to let up on the whistles. If you have a similar problem, don't give up and maybe apply a bit more pressure to the hotel staff to intervene on your behalf.

A couple of minor complaints about the room and service. There were no Kleenex available in our room - remarkable for such an expensive room. Also, the hotel charged me 2.50 Euros for a bottle of water from the rooms refrig. Not very gracious considering I paid them $1,000 US for the 2 night stay.

On the plus side, the bed was great, air conditioning worked fine and space was exceptional for Europe. Also the breakfast was excellent, both in quality and quantity.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Montecarlo Barcelona? Share your experiences!