“Great location on Las Ramblas” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Montecarlo Barcelona

Save Saved
You added Hotel Montecarlo Barcelona to your Saves list
Hotel Montecarlo Barcelona
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   La Rambla, 124, 08002 Barcelona, Spain (El Barri Gòtic)   |
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #11 of 519 hotels in Barcelona
Somerset, MA
“Great location on Las Ramblas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We travelled to Barcelona, Alicante, and a return to Barcelona in May/June of 2009. We stayed at the Hotel Montecarlo, on Las Ramblas.

When communicating with the hotel staff throughout the year, I requested a room on Las Ramblas. You have to pay for that privelege, but it was well worth it. Can be a bit noisy at times. See below.

We arrived on the day of a European football championship match (I believe in Rome) between Barcelons FC and Manchester United. Barcelona fans were everywhere, showing their colors, singing, and tooting their horns. Giant screens were set up in different parts of the city. When Barcelona won that evening, Las Ramblas became like Times Square on New Years. Even though we had not really slept, flying through the night, we joined the celebration, to a degree. Finally when it was time to try to get some sleep, the celebration of course continued. Even with the double doors and 2 pillows over my head, it was difficult to sleep. This was however an unusual situation. Not the fault of the hotel. All the other nights were fine. We had a beautiful room, somewhat like a suite, with a sparate living area. Look on the site for photos of the rooms.

Breakfast was ok, but I cannot remember if it was included.

They charged a different rate depending whether you were staing on a weekend or during the week. In other words, we had to pay more for our weekend nights than our week nights, instead of one rate for the entire stay. I thought that strange.

The Gaudi architecture was other worldly, very organic. Barcelonetta, a good walk or short Metro trip toward the sea, is an other great area of Barcelona. There you will find the large beach, harbor with pleasure craft, restaurants, shops, and cable car to the mountain and it's sites.

Las Ramblas and Hotel Montecarlo are right in the heart of the action. Would stay again.

To submit this review, I have to select a date. I chose February, 2013, but we actually travelled, as stated earlier, in May/June, 2009.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Las Ramblas. Can be noisy, and expensive, but well worth it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

1,593 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Korean first
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We had a great stay here. The room was huge -- it felt like we were staying in our own apartment. You can't beat the location -- right on the main tourist street with a supermarket right across the street. The street market and the huge dept store are both a 5 minute walk away. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stayed In the Hotel Monte Carlo between 11th - 14th January 2013. I had booked it as a surprise for my husband's 50th birthday having read all the favourable reviews on Trip Advisor and we were cerainly not disappointed. We had a superior room facing La Rambla with it's own balcony. It was amazing to open the two patio doors and watch the world go by and hear the excitement and hustle and bustle of a busy city, yet on closing the two doors and dropping the blackout blind, all the noise disappeared, Room was spacious and clean with a lovely comfortable bed that adjusted electronically. Lovely jacuzzi bath and small sittting area where we enjoyed complimentary tea and coffee brought up to our room. On my husband's birthday evening they surprised us with a bottle of champagne on ice. Found all staff friendly and helpful and they even threw in breakfast for free for the three nights we were there. Ideally situated for the autobus shuttle to and from the airport and also the open top tour buses. Wonderful Gothic area nearby and also the Boqueria food market which was a joy and loads of restaurants and bars. For the special birthday meal we ate at 7 portes and had a fabulous evening with wonderful food and drink. Felt proud to return to our amazing hotel each evening, and my husband said the holiday was one of the best times of his life. We will certainly recommend this hotel to family and friends and we will be back. Wonderful, happy memories.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying here for a week in July. Unfortuntely just before checking in I had my wallet pick pocketed at the La Rambla markets. In my crying mess the hotel directed me to the police station with a map and then allowed me to use their phone free of charge to organise new credit cards etc.

The hotel is very comfortable and spacious. Everything was very clean and the beds were very soft and lovely.

This hotel is in the perfect walking position to all the major shopping and site seeing adventures in Barcelona.

I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I stayed here in November for 5 days/nights on the second leg of a three country tour. I would give it 5 stars except for a couple of things. The hotel gets top marks for cleanliness, very cool modern decor, superior architecture, first class linens, comfy adjustable bed (a definite plus) and superb location. Don't miss the Boqueria market less than a block away. There are plenty of excellent restaurants and cafes all around. The front desk had some good recommendations but we did better on our own or reading reviews on line. Take the express bus to/from the airport which stops on the north side of Placa de Catalunya (about 3 blocks). The staff overall is very good, professional and eager to help, however, they seemed to always be in a rush and a couple of them (managers?) were a little brusque. The rate includes the room, a few channels on the tele and internet for two devices--if you have three, too bad. It seems like they could include a few more selections on the entertainment system which has a lot to offer - if you want to pay. My main complaint is that my "superior" room had no natural light or view what so ever which I found to be a little depressing. The only window opened to a very narrow ventilation shaft. If you want to see something besides 4 walls, be sure to book a higher priced room with a view over La Rambles. My friends booked one of the suites on the front of the hotel and the view was great. The bathroom was very nice and fully equipped, however, the shower curtain was paper thin and the steam from the shower creates a convection that causes it to blow in and stick to you. I used bottles of water to hold the curtain in place. This worked pretty well but was cumbersome. I would probably stay here again and have no problem recommending it....with a couple of caveats.

Room Tip: If you want to see more than four walls, pay extra and book a room overlooking La Rambles.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Barcelona, España
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

on entering this hotel you are immediately sat down and made to feel special by very polite staff. It is a refreshing change from the train station style reception desk. You are even offered a complimentary drink. The decor is excellent and the rooms have amazing fingerprint technology. Choose a quite back facing room. The hotel is well located and walking distance to most sites. The reception restaurant is relaxing and though the menu is limited and not cheap, the food quality is excellent. Staff overall are very helpful. The rooms have an open plan bathroom more suited to couples. I would not mind staying here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Right in the thick of the excitement on La Rambla but still quiet and very elegant. Desk staff were terrific and added to our enjoyment of the city. The shuttle to the airport is no more than a 5 minute walk. Be watchful for pick pockets and be prepared for an onslaught of beggars all over the tourist areas but especially on La Rambla. The Montecarlo is a safe haven from all that and I will stay there again when in Barcelona. We booked at the last minute at a deep discount so expected the smallest room in the hotel. And maybe it was, but I have to say, it was lovely, very spacious, with a gorgeous bathroom and a strong internet signal. There was no view from the room but that's what you get at the last minute on the cheaps! The hotel lounge was very cool. We especially appreciated the security. You were required to leave your key at the desk and no one got past the desk without checking in for the room key. This assured that only hotel guests or the guests of guests were in the hotel. There are restaurants and sidewalk cafes of every type and budget within several blocks. The street entertainers are fun and right outside the door. You can catch the on and off sightseeing bus at the same square as the airport shuttle. We are very pleased that we stayed at the Montecarlo.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Montecarlo Barcelona? Share your experiences!