“A different way to dine Japanese style” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Asian, Barbecue, Japanese, Korean
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Open all nights / Obert tots els dies
Barcelona, Spain
“A different way to dine Japanese style”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Reminds me of a restaurant I tried in Hachiochji, Japan many years ago. You sit around a wood burning barbecue pit and cook your choice of fish or meat (yes, they do Waygu Kobe beef). A bit hot and occasionally smokey, especially around the small round tables (keep your wine, water and glass away or they'll boil) but very enjoyable. The food is great, we tried excellent quality edamame, then one of the most tasty yakisoba I had in Barcelona and a selection of fish and waygu beef on the barbecue. Remarkable green tea ice cream to finish. They have a short but good wine list and a very good service. A nice sociable environment makes this place suitable for groups.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
UK
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Me and my partner visited during out holiday - You know, 'when in Rome, do as the Romans do'... Or in this case when in Barcelona, do as the Japanese do!

Anyway - we took the plunge, not really knowing what to expect! I could not have been more pleased.
We had a bit of trouble getting into the place, you might have to ring the door bell for them to open the door which is a bit strange, but certainly not a problem!

The restaurant looks like it wouldn't be out of place on a back street in Kyoto from the outside! Very Japanese, a theme which is some what continued on the inside.
Once we finally figured out how to get in, a lovely waiter (owner?) greeted us at the door, showed us to a table and gave us menus. It wasn't busy, only one other couple in there - Mind you it was only 7pm which is still early in the night for the evening meal in Barcelona.

We weren't sure what to expect at all, we noticed the charcoal pit on each table though.
The waiter took our order and even helped us out with what to pick - he didn't push anything though, which I feel is important. He simple explained what each dish was, which was very helpful.

He took our order and promptly returned with out drinks.Two pints of coke in what I can only describe as a frozen glass - What a superb idea! The handle of the glass was warm while the glass its self was frost, keeping out cokes nice and cool. Really nice detail.

We decided to get one of their meat platter and fish platter style things, which had Kobe beef and swordfish to name a few. He filled out BBQ pit up with hot charcoal, happily talking us through it and answering our questions.
The food was then brought to us, with a brief explanation of what do and how to cook it. I know it's not unusual in this type of restaurant, but if it's not something your used to it's a very strange concept to cook your own food in a restaurant!
Don't be put off though, it's not hard at all and the food is lovely (The swordfish is one of the best things I've ever had the pleasure of eating.)
Finished it was a delicious sake (which I spilt all over the place - Nice!)

My girlfriend and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience - I would argue it certainly is more of an experience than a evening meal. We didn't leave hungry but then again we didn't eat much, but the sheer fun of the experience outweighed that completely.
It wasn't the cheapest of meals, but then again kobe beef isn't cheap anywhere. But again, I felt the price was justified considering how much fun we had.
I got so caught up in the experience in fact, that I completely forgot I was sitting in the middle of Barcelona!

To sum it up:
Superb service,
Superb food,
Superb experience.

I'd recommend it to anyone, even if it's not exactly what you had planned while from visiting Catalonia!

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Barcelona, Spain
“amazing place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

It's like being in Japan ... incredible experience! I recommend everyone to go if you want to enjoy good Japanese food!!!

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Liege, Belgium
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Absolutely awesome experience!
Very friendly waiters, very good food, relatively cheap! We had both a big bowl of cold noodles with vegetables as a starter, then we had both the mix of meats on the barbecue...just great!

Visited September 2012
“One of the best in Barcelona”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

While looking for a good Sushi place in Barcelona we came across other reviews for this restaurant and thought we would give it a try. We were so pleased we did!

The owner was friendly and welcoming and took the time to explain everything on the menu.

The food was great - very fresh and with fantastic flavours while he 'Cook it yourself barbecue' in the middle of the table provided great entertainment for the kids.

To top it all the price was very reasonable given the authentic cuisine and experience.

This was one of the highlights during our three day stay in the City and is highly recommended.