“Can't wait to return!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 518 Hotels in Barcelona
Rossett, United Kingdom
“Can't wait to return!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Barcelona in May was a great break from the UK weather. The beautiful mediterranean warmth. And Primero Primera was a totally relaxing place to stay. We stayed for a conference at the University and regret not spending enough time in the hotel. Although hotel is the wrong word - more like a family guest house - tucked away, peaceful, expertly furnished. I would happily laze in bed here before the amazing breakfast (in the courtyard garden if you like) then head into the city (train station 5mins walk) or laze in the sitting area. Just writing this makes me want to return!

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are loft style and open onto a central roof top.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

First of all, I really appreciate helpful all staff. I stayed in a superior double room which has a bathtub and a shower booth. It was big enough to stay with my family(2 adult & 2 infant).
All of soft drink and some snacks was free of charge. There alcohols in a lounge which you can serve by yourself (it's charged).
Only problem is a distance from city center. We needed to take subway to Catalunya (10min), but even though I must say this hotel is worth to stay!! I will stay there again when I come back to Barcelona definitely.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Malaga, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stayed with my partner as part of a three night trip to Barcelona, we chose the hotel because of the great reviews. It's relatively stylish but so many hotels are these days. The service was average, no going the extra mile, attention or care.
I think i was expecting to be wowed as the location isn't great but there's nothing special about it. It's just all OK.There is a charming lounge/bar area which is nice to relax in with a drink and a book and I imagine the outdoor space would be lovely in the summer (it was closed during our visit in the Autumn).
If the service was more forthcoming, the hairdryers were better and there was a great atmosphere to the place you'd forgive a lot of things but put simply it isn't a good enough hotel for its location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

This was my third visit to Hotel Primero Primera this year (2012). I have visited once with my husband, once alone and once with husband and our 9 year old. All visits have been excellent; rooms are impeccably clean, spacious, very comfortable beds, high quality duvets and pillows, quiet (not a single noise from other rooms during any of my visits), and beautifully decorated. The bathrooms are large and comfortable, and most importantly: clean. Staff is very friendly and helpful, and from what I could hear, with good level of english (my family is spanish talking, but other guests who were not had no language problems). The rooms I have stayed in had coffee and tea facilities in the room, which made the experience even more of a home-away-from-home, and a free minibar, safe and large clostes.
On the ground floor there is a large library with honesty bar and free muffins/coffee/tea/soda. Also on the ground floor is the "bar" where breakfast is served, but where you can also have lunch and dinner from a small menu. Breakfast is good; two types of bread (they provide glutenfree or other if needed and ordered beforehand), two types of cheese, one type of ham, fresh fruit, ready made small buns with jamon serrano or tuna and tomato, slices of tortilla, croissants, muffins and variety of juice and jams.
Location is good if you want peace and quiet. It is a very quiet suburban area, but only 10 minutes with metro to Plaza Cataluña, and the metro station is 5 minutes away. Some good restaurants which are recommended by the hotel if you do not feel like going into the center again at night: Contraluz and the bruger restaurant I think was called Le Royale. Contraluz have annother restaurant closer to town called Cordelia & co, which is worth visiting.

I am known to be rather hard to pelase, but I am very satisfied with Hotel Primero Primera. In every way. In fact, the only downside is that the lighting in the hallways and some of the bathrooms are a bit dim. I was so comfortable in the room I hardly wanted to leave to explore Barcelona, which is saying something since Barcelona is an exciting city with lots to offer! I would recommend the hotel for all types of travel, due to the easy access to the center. And I will certainly be back!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Jakarta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

This is a very unusual hotel but we really loved it there, this was a private land that turned into hotel with nice rooms.

We booked the hotel knowing it was a bit outside of the city and far from the Ramblas.

The hotel was located in a quiet neighborhood of Doctor Carulla where there were apartment complex and all. It is better to use taxi to reach this hotel because we did and it was much better than using the metro. However, the metro is not too far from the hotel with a short stroll to the station.

The room we booked was quite large compared to the room we booked at another hotel near Catalunya. The lounge downstairs was very nice, warm and made you feel welcomed. You could choose the free drinks there (mini bar was a complimentary) and you could also pay accordingly for the alcoholic drinks. Wifi was free as well.

Try the to sit in the lounge area, the library room or definitely try the garden sofa to enjoy the weather while reading your favorite books.

The staff was very helpful and informative. They also recommended us to try a chinese restaurant frequented by the Barca team not too far from the hotel. Sadly it was closed during our visit.

We really love this hotel, a home far from home. Will visit again someday!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Alicia C, Director General at Hotel Primero Primera, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
We really appreciate it for taking your time to write about your experience at Hotel Primero Primera. We hope to welcome you again soon at our hotel on your next trip to Barcelona.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

This hotel was the last one we stayed in after a string of top hotels in Spain. We were happy to see that the best had been saved for last. The entire hotel is *impeccably* designed to result in an extremely stylish, calm, cozy, and luxurious atmosphere. The honesty bar and other touches made our stay feel very private and personal. Our room was on the top floor, which actually was outside on the roof (!), and the unusual shape of the room under the eaves of the roof added to the cabin-like charm. When booking, we were concerned about the hotel's location outside of the heart of the city - but the subway is less than a 5 minute walk away, remarkably easy to use, and takes a direct route to La Ramblas in about 10 minutes. More than worth it for the experience of retiring to our beautiful room in the evening. I cannot speak highly enough of this hotel - no other one in Barcelona could compare after staying here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

It took quite a while to find this hotel both on arrival and during our stay. Many taxi drivers did not know the hotel and found it difficult to locate would recommend taking a hotel card out with you. We had booked a standard room prior to arriving. On arrival we were shown to an attic room on the top floor. The room was very dark and small it had a couple of low lighting lamps and a window the size of an A3 sheet of paper. I was really disappointed with this and went to speak to the reception staff. The lady explained that unfortunately we had booked a standard room and this was one of the bigger ones. She offered an upgrade to a superior room but at a cost of 50 euros but also offered to show me a different standard room. I opted to see the standard room which I have to say was more like what I had anticipated it was a good size nice and light with a high quality bathroom. I asked to swap to this. When we then got to the room with our luggage the lady then offered to show us a superior room as a complimentary upgrade. This room was a bigger version of the standard room she had shown us with the added extras you would expect. I wouldn't recommend the attic room but have to say the superior room we stayed in was great and is certainly worth the extra cost for the added comfort. The location of the hotel was not so great though I have to say. It is a 5 minute walk to Tres Torres station and takes about 10/15 mins to get to Placa Catalunya. The trains come every 15 mins until about 12 midnight but then are less regular and it was much easier to get a taxi back to the hotel from the centre costing about 10/12 euros. Tres Torres is on the FGC line most of the main attractions are reached via the metro this means you often have to change. Each time you change this is counted as a separate journey (you pay for each journey unless you buy a travel card the T-10 is very good value I would recommend this ten journeys for 9.75 euros). Renting a car is probably easier if staying at this hotel. The complimentary soft drinks are good (major brands) and the breakfast provided plenty of choice from croissants to cereal and sandwiches. Overall the hotel is a little pricey considering the distance from the centre of Barcelona. I would recommend staying closer to the centre but it your looking for something less busy and congested this might be the place for you.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Alicia C, Director General at Hotel Primero Primera, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Madam,

As you mention, Primero Primera is located in a residential area just 5 stops (7minutes ride) by metro from the city center. It is a quiet area away from the bustle of the city center but sorrounded by small restaurants and shops where the locals go. All this information is clearly stated in our web site as we want to be as clear as possible. We want our clients to have a memorable experience at our hotel during their visit to Barcelona.

Been to Hotel Primero Primera? Share your experiences!