“We enjoyed our brief stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of U232 Hotel

You added U232 Hotel to your Saves list
U232 Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Comte d'Urgell 232, 08036 Barcelona, Spain (Formerly Nunez Urgell Hotel) (Eixample)   |
Special Price
25% off room rate
Ranked #39 of 514 Hotels in Barcelona
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
“We enjoyed our brief stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed here with our sons, age 11 and 5. We were planning to stay 4 nights but because of a family emergency had to cut our trip short. The staff were very professional and kind, and were understanding about needing to leave earlier than planned. The rooms themselves were nice, and one had a balcony which was very relaxing, though on a busy street. The bathrooms were immaculate and classy. We had a very quiet sleep and little noise from the street or other rooms. The hotel was very convenient to the metro and we went easily to La Sagrada Familia and to Parc Guell. The staff were very helpful with recommendations for how to get the most out of our short time there.

We did have a few complaints. We requested adjoining rooms so the children could be in one room and grownups in another but we got 2 separate rooms, despite having booked in advance. If we had stayed more nights, they may have been able to change but since we only stayed one, we didn't get to change. The internet for some reason only worked well in one of the rooms, while in the other I could only get internet access in the hallway of the room.

Overall my husband thought this was a great find.

Room Tip: If internet is important to you, you might want to ask which rooms are better. The room that had a b...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I was excited to come to U232 due to its high rating on Tripadvisor, and after spending 4 nights there I have to say there were a lot of really great things about the hotel, but a few things held it back from being, in my opinion, a 4 start hotel.

Pros:
- Beautiful decor and layout. From the moment you walk in it has a stylish and warm feel to it. These touches continue through the common lounge areas, hallways, and into the rooms.
- Staff were friendly and helpful
- Good location. We walked almost everywhere we went, though we do love to walk so others may choose to take transit. There is a metro line close by, and plenty of markets and restaurants within a few block radius. Area felt very safe.
- Nice amenities. Wifi, flatscreen TVs in the rooms, fridge, common area with tables and couches.

Cons:
- For some reason I can't figure out, our bed was on wheels. I ordinarily wouldn't care, but the wheels weren't locked and we couldn't sit in bed and lean against the wall without the bed rolling away. We asked the front desk to fix this, but they didn't.
- Bathroom didn't have a fan. I was really surprised at this, I've been in 2 star hotels on the sides of highways which had bathrooms with fans. Perhaps this isn't a common feature in Spain? At all the other locations we stayed at in Europe fans were in the bathroom.

Overall, I would stay here again but I wouldn't say I am crazy about it. We may have just happen to have a room where they had a temporary bed in it, but still I would hope they could at least lock the wheels so it doesn't roll everytime we shift in it.

Room Tip: Ask for a bed without wheels
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Loved. It. We got the Top Room based on the advice of our fellow TripAdvisor reviewers and really enjoyed it. very good value for money, especially compared to other European cities. The top deck area is gorgeous in summer! We lay on the day-beds with our friends and had a great time relaxing! My only complaint is that we were asked to leave at about 10-11ish. It was ok because we had a balcony in the top room, but it was a little annoying.

The Top Room was so lovely and clean. The bathroom was HUGE!! Two showerheads and a bathtub! Every day I found a toiletries box filled with goodies was replenished.

The location is pretty good - especially considering that there is a supermarket and a 'La Caixa' (an atm/ticket retrival/purchasing place) right around the corner. We printed our tickets for La Sagrada Famiglia at the La Caixa - we could have just bought them from the machine directly which would have been a lot simpler I think). The metro station is a few hundred metres walk, and everything is very easy to reach once you get on the metro!

Service was great. Wifi was down the first day due to issues or something? Our friends could not get internet access for much of the trip. We could get good service on the second and third days.

Room Tip: Top room is lovely if you want to pay a little extra for a lot more! Top room a must if you're h...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

From the map, it is not close to the tourist attraction and also it is tricky of you like to park a car. You can only park the multi-level car park which is next to the hotel.

However, I had not driven my car again until check out. It is 5 mins (or less than) walking distance from metro, and it is only few stops to the major attractions.

The hotel is clean and also the staff are very nice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I stayed here for a week around the St Joan holiday in June. Although I was a little worried about the hotel being too far from the tourist areas, it ended up being just about perfect: only a few stops by subway (just a half block from the hotel), or a pleasant 20 min walk to Placa de Catalunya. The hotel was very clean, the rooms were a good size, the area was quiet at night (unlike the Ramblas!), plus there was a very pleasant balcony that made a nice place for a quiet breakfast. I skipped the hotel breakfast in favor of local pastry shops (several near by).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Waterloo, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

This was a great stay. We got a top view room and we're not disappointed. The bathroom was gigantic with a floor to ceiling window. The bedroom was clean and the king bed very comfortable. The staff was attentive and welcoming. Everything about this hotel was excellent. But the best was the terrace, it was huge, had a patio table that could have seated six, a sofa and large chair. It was exactly like the website photographs. The hotel was also well located. If you want something a little different book with no hesitation. You will. Other nearby disappointed. Well done to the staff. A gem. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Top view room. You will love the extra space.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I booked this hotel as I needed a place to stay 1 night before moving to my new apartment. My nice but not nearly as large as any of the pictures they used. The facilities are nice but I've stayed in 3 star hotels with similar facilities etc. I ordered room service and it arrived quickly but the quality was not great a burger and some potato chips for E9. I should have gone out for food. The staff I met were nice and friendly and they allowed me to check in at 2pm exactly. The price was good for 4 star but I would say it is a 3.5.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from Comte d'Urgell will be quieter as this is a busy road next to a busy hosp...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to U232 Hotel? Share your experiences!