“Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #100 of 516 hotels in Barcelona
Warsaw, Poland
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I have stayed here for a week recently, and the hotel was very disappointing. I have booked via my company a double/ twin room, but I didn't get it, however I doublechecked it with the reception and they said that this is a room what I booked (by the way, the smallest EVER, and I have stayed in many hotels in Europe so I can compare). Later on it turned out that the price they communicated didn't include a kind of tax, 10%, and that I should pay an extra supplementary amount because my partner stayed there the last night before we travelled to another city in Spain for vacation. One day one receptionist said that I don't have to pay, another day another one said that I have to pay around 25 EUR, then lastly they said that it's 12 EUR or something like this. We requested another room for the last night because we prefer 2 separate beds pushed next to each other, and we agreed that we pack everything together and go for sightseeing, and for the time we arrive they will move the bags and other stuffs to the new room. Guess what happened when we arrived back in the evening after the whole day in the city: nothing, they left everything in the original room, for some ridiculous reasons, sorry to say that, but it was a lack of attention. Because we agreed in this with the morning recepcionists, and they confirmed it, so I am not interested in any excuses... Of course the new room was already occupied by other guests, but luckily there was one free room with twin beds, but the hotel was fully booked recently so it was really just question of luck that there was one free room that evening. Of course nobody helped us with moving the luggages to the new room, but it was not surprising because nobody helped me when I arrived alone in the beginning of the week with 2 big luggages... The breakfast is one of the worst I have ever tasted, scrambled egg is disgusting, and the taste is generally the same in case of every food. Only one positive thing, the spanish corner, the food there was good and unique. By the way the last morning we were only 2 of us in one of the 3 separated eating area (they are separated with some walls), plus 2 couples at the next table, they were asked by the waitress 3 times if they would like to get coffee or tea, but we didn't deserve this kindness during the whole breakfast. I warned the lady about it and she was just smiling and seemed totally diffuse. There is a very annoying special smell in the whole hotel, it must be a parfum they use everywhere, so disgusting.
Overall, very disappointing, except the bartenders, they were kind and fast all the time, but is this enough to be a good hotel? I don't think so. Service level: zero.

917 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel for business purposes. Though i pre-booked unfortunately due to technical reasons, i had to move to another hotel. The management solved it well and even upgraded me the day after which i appreciated. The conference facilities were excellent and the rest if the stay was very good. I have stayed in many hotels where hospitality is not the first word that comes to mind. This hotel definitely deserves a WELL DONE.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
HOTEL_MELIABARCELONA, Resident Manager at Melia Barcelona Sarria, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
We really appreciate so much your positive comment about your experience in our Hotel Melià Barcelona Sarrià. We do our best to give our guests the best experience, even when we are suffering some inconveniences. This is the best comment that we can received from this type of situation.

Thank you very much again. We are looking forward to welcome you soon

King Regards,

Natalia Seoane

Resident Manager
Grosse Pte., Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We were thrilled that our room was ready upon arrival, post cruise. The hotel is attractive and the room was fine. Our shower didn't have a door---which we thought was part of the decor, but apparently not! The breakfast buffet was very good.

What we appreciated was the helpful staff. They couldn't be nicer or more helpful. The location was out of the way, but taxis are plentiful so that was not a problem.

I would suggest not getting a room streetside. It was very noisy---sounded like we were in NYC!!

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the street, unless noise doesn't bother you.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
HOTEL_MELIABARCELONA, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Barcelona Sarria, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Firstly, we would like to thank you for taking your time to post your comments. Receving this type of comments and welcoming you again in our hotel are the best rewards that we can obtain. We will inform of your positive experience to all our staff, who wil be motivated for keeping working hard to give to all our guests the same experience as yours.

King Regards

Alexis Mazorra

Guest EXperience Manager
Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Went for only 1 night for a girls weekend away. We had a great stay at this hotel. Can not comment on the gym or spa as we didn't have time to use these facilities.

Check in was quick and efficient. We had pre booked 'The Level' which I can highly recommend. It was nice to have a few hours relaxing on the comfortable sofa's, having a drink (or two!) and bite to eat in nice calm, quiet surroundings.

Very modern looking hotel, everything was spotless. Our room was lovely and as others have mentioned, had a great shower, jacuzzi bath, comfy bed, TV, great air con', kettle (although no milk or creamer in the room). We did call down to the front desk and they had creamer sent to our room within a couple of minutes and even rang us back to ensure we had it.

Front desk and the concierge at The Level couldn't have been more helpful and pleasant, booking our evening meal etc. All staff were a complete joy, hotel porter was lovely.

Breakfast was great too and had a nice choice.

Can highly recommend the open top bus tour for an opportunity to see this great city.

A very nice hotel, a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: We really made good use of The Level. It cost around 20EUR per person but we felt we made good use...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
HOTEL_MELIABARCELONA, Guest EXperience Assistant at Melia Barcelona Sarria, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
It is a pleasure for us receives this kind of comment from our customers, your opinion is very important for keeping working to obtain all our customer experiences as yours.

We are looking forward to see you soon, in your next visit to Barcelona and do not hesitate to contact us for any doubt you could have.

Kind regards

Jorge Robles
Guest Experience Assistant
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

When I arrived, the porter looked through the window how I was taking the luggage out of the taxi and into the hotel, without moving an eyebrow (of course no attempt to help).
I requested an early check in through the reservation web of the hotel... And they didn't even notice it (exactly what the man at the reception told me). Though, all must be said... After 1hour and 30 mins... I apparently got an upgrade and checked in the 19th floor.
The room was correct but the aircon was not working when I arrived. They sent a technician and solved the problem.
The pressure in the shower is very very low... Not up to the standard of a 5 star hotel.
And the "gym"... Is the typical tiny hotel room with 2 machines... Definitely not for active guests.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
We appreciate and respect your opinion and we also thank you for having taken your time to send them to us. We are sorry you did not feel during your stay that our establishment is a five star hotel.
We would like you would visit us again and give us the opportunity to offer you The Excellence of our service and make you fell like at home, please do not hesitate to contact us , we will take care of all necessary arrangements.

Kind regards and we keep at your entire service,

Alexis Mazorra Sánchez

Guest Experience Manager
Greensboro, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

This hotel has a number of things going for it. The hotel staff is friendly and hospitable and responsive. Within the rooms, the air conditioning is very effective and easy to adjust to the most comfortable temperature. It is within good walking distance to a metro stop and other public transportation.
The hotel is in need of some refurbishment and small repairs. My colleague had a leak in her sink, I had lights out in the room, and the handle on the sink simply fell off. The carpets in the guest rooms are in need of cleaning. Our rooms had a strange bed configuration of two twin beds pushed together. There was no iron and ironing board in the room. However, the rooms were good sized rooms, especially for a European hotel. The food is average at the hotel. I was here for a conference and the buffets were pretty much the same every day. Not much variation. The conference rooms had the typical issues of difficult temperature control and you cannot control it in the room. It was either freezing cold or it was off. The conference rooms did have good acoustics.

Room Tip: I did have a beautiful view of Barcelona from my room.
Moira, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

The Melia is rated as 5 star however I would say quality 4 star would be a better rating compared to other much superior hotels I have stayed in. The location is a little bit out of the city centre. 40 minute walk or 15 minute walk to the nearest metro. The room was very nice with a particularly fancy ensuite with multijet power shower. Bed large but very firm. Some may prefer this. Hotel was clean and staff friendly enough. There is a small inside pool and relaxation area which is a little haven after a busy day in town. Breakfast buffet is standard fare in spanish hotels not poor but nothing to rave about either. We got the hotel for a good Internet deal and if you can get a deal it is quality compared to some other Barcelona hotels.

• Stayed October 2012

Kind regards and we keep at your entire service,

Alexis Mazorra Sánchez

Guest Experience Manager

Been to Melia Barcelona Sarria? Share your experiences!