“Location only good thing about this hotel” 1 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ramblas 111, 08002 Barcelona, Spain   |
Offers & Announcements
20% off room rate
Ranked #69 of 517 Hotels in Barcelona
“Location only good thing about this hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

Our whole experience we were looked down upon much like homeless people. Started in the parking garage where after we passed the 10 minute inspection, we were literally escorted to a designated parking space. At checkin, we ended up needing a rollaway bed which cost almost as much as an additional room! Room wasn't ready at 4pm, gave us a "cocktail" while we waited which took 5 minutes to get service then asked for our free cocktail card which had been given to them by our desk clerk. In a huff the server went to find our card, came back 6 minutes later and informed us no cocktail, just beer (4oz) or cava. Wanting to get on with our first day in Barcelona, we really didn't want to be sitting for 15 minutes for a 4 oz free beer, had we known.
Off to get something to eat (off-property, thank you), we returned to find our room ready but was asked if we wanted the rollaway bed made up, really? Got to our room where we had to wait almost 10 minutes for somebody to bring our luggage. Again, wanted to just get on with exploring the city, not sit in a hotel room. Room was clean enough, view was horrible - a 2nd floor rooftop. Bathroom was updated but the door was etched glass, kind of like a shower door. Not very private and didn't close all the way. Overall, not very inviting atmosphere, staff was adequate but not very engaging or helpful. Having traveled to Starwood properties very often, I was discouraged this one did not make the guest a priority. At $300 for the night, this was the biggest disappointment of our 8 day trip to Spain.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
LMHotel, General Manager at Le Meridien Barcelona, responded to this review, September 1, 2014
Greetings from Le Méridien Barcelona,

I am very sorry to read that your experience seemed not to have been up to your expectations.

Our room rates vary depending on the number of people. Especially when a guest has booked a room for two people, if a third person is added, we have to change the room assignment to a triple room and offer the linen, amenities etc. for the third person, which is why the third bed has a charge. I am sorry if this is something you were not expecting.

Also in regards to our room decor I am sorry to read that it was not in line with the style you were looking for.

Elisa Barral

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

This was an overnight trip the first time from Ibiza to Barcelona to ibiza. It was such a great hotel in this great city that we went back a week later for a few nights more.

This is probably one of the best run Meridian hotels I have stayed at. It was a flawless stay, the hotel staff was amazing, the accommodations were fantastic, and the location is "right there" they have their own restaurant 111 directly in the hotel on the corner of La Rambla, and the food was exceptional easy 4 stars.

The famed market is two blocks down and we ate there as well.

Thanks for beating and exceeding my usual expectations for Le Meridian. You really killed it.

Room Tip: Had two different rooms both quiet and in different locations. One had a full balcony.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Aard,

I am not sure if we "killed it" but we do our best to exceed our guest's expectations. And I am glad we went beyond yours!

Anahola, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

We had only two days for a return visit to Barcelona before a boarding our ship for a cruise from that city. Le Meridean was a perfect choice. Well located, with beautiful, comfortable rooms and courteous staff

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Paul,

I am glad to read that you chose us for your stop in Barcelona during your cruise experience. And that you liked it!

Maybe we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon?

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

I had stayed at the Le Meridien in Paris and vouched I would never stay at a Le Meridien again. Fast forward to the W in Barcelona being sold out and Le Meridien was the other Starwood choice in the city. I was a bit reluctant but wanted my points :) The room I was given was on the 5th floor and had it's own private outdoor terrace. I was pleasantly surprised by the size of the room and the outdoor space. The room wasn't so bad after all.

I returned a few months later and was in a smaller room as the former room was not available. you do notice the age of the hotel a bit and the standard-ness of the room features. There are a number of hotels in Barcelona that are better but the price here is always reasonable.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
LMHotel, General Manager at Le Meridien Barcelona, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Greetings from the heart of Barcelona,

thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with the fellow travel community.

I am glad to read that you especially liked the first room you stayed at, although I am at the same time sad to know that you were not as happy with the second room.

Please do not hesitate to contact us directly to share your recommendations on how we could have made your stay even better!

Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

Our flight landed in Barcelona early. My husband and I were both jet-lagged, and with me being in the first trimester of my pregnancy, I was exhausted and slightly sick. The staff did everything they could to get us into a room early, and when our suite wasn't ready; they let us crash in a hospitality room for a few hours to get in a nap.

The room itself was spacious, the location was fantastic, and the breakfast was delicious.

My only complaint is that this is a common before/after cruise hotel, and they seemed completely overwhelmed with the influx of guests on Saturday mornings/afternoons (pre-cruise guests) and Sunday afternoons (post-cruise guests). You'd think they'd expect this and be able to better handle the large groups. My suggestion would be that if you're getting on/off a cruise, grab some lunch first and stop by the front desk an hour after the mad rush.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

thank you very much for sharing your experience with the travel community!
I am glad we were able to offer you a hospitality room whilst we were preparing your suite.

It can be tricky at times during high season, but we always do our best to offer our guest their room as quickly as possible.

Thank you as well for your comments in regards to groups arrivals. I will share them with the team in order to review what we could do to improve the process.

I truly hope we will be welcoming you again in the future. Who knows, maybe with the little one?

Mongolia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

Business hotel trying to be "hip" in a great location. Room clean, small, with poor view. Roof terrace tiny with no service. Reception always very busy with people checking in and out. Felt very impersonal. Better options in Barcelona in the same area are definitely available.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Winston Salem, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

It was an interesting experience because they were very reluctant to provide the service they should until you get upset, then they go overboard to provide what you requested. I guess they did not want to take responsibility until you called them on it and then they were happy to oblige. It started right from the beginning when i arrived at 11am and they told me check in was not until 3pm. We stowed our bags and left to explore the city. We came back at 3:30pm and they told me check in was not until 4:00pm. I checked there website and it was 3:00pm! i had to call out the person who initially told me 3pm then we all agreed it was 3pm and they apologized?? They continually screwed up from that point on from check in time, to cleanliness of the room, to honoring SPG membership, to not doing what they said they would on room charges. They fixed everything but their first reaction was denial or act like there is no problem. I would have to call them on it and get the person responsible in front of me and then they would fix it. I tip well so the staff was taking care of me, but who wants to continually have to ask them to provide normal service. I travel a lot and have never experienced anything like this before. I was on vacation trying to enjoy time with my family and shied away from the hotel as much as possible. Barcelona is a beautiful city! You will spend 1/2 day in this area. Eat lunch at the market!! Amazing! There are no good dinner options in the area.

Room Tip: Barcelona is spread out all over the place. You will only spend 1/2 day in this area.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
LMHotel, General Manager at Le Meridien Barcelona, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Dear guest,

I am very sorry to read your review.

Please allow me to assure you that customer service is one of our utmost priorities and at no time would we want to say no to a guest's inquiry.

Unfortunately the impression you seem to have gotten is not in line with our service promise and I apologize for this.
I truly hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you again so we can gain back your confidence in us.

Elisa Barral

Been to Le Meridien Barcelona? Share your experiences!