“A rare find” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #72 of 518 Hotels in Barcelona
South Florida
“A rare find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Spent three nights in late November and enjoyed our stay immensely. The staff was excellent and very accommodating. When we arrived the front desk was three deep with check ins and we thought this will take forever. But, within minutes our luggage was stored and we were on our way to explore beautiful Barcelona. The hotel is right in the middle of everything and within walking distance to all the sights. Our room was excellent. Recently remodeled in a very hip fashion and comfortable. The concierge staff especially Christain was just outstanding. He recommended two excellent restaurants in the neighborhood. His guidance and other recommendations helped to make our visit special. When we return to Barcelona in the future we will stay again at the Le Meridien.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Woodland Hills, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

We stayed there Dec 4 - 10, 2012. The staff could not have been more accommodating and gracious and one was nicer and more helpful than the next. Our room was newly remodeled, bath tub is deep and accommodates two (really appreciate this after long day of walking), all appointments were new, bed comfortable and no issues with pillows as mentioned in one of the other reviews. The rooms are not large and some might have a stall shower and no tub but this is an older building as are most on La Ramblas. The only thing you must decide is do you want to be in the front of the building with a great view of La Ramblas which is noisy throughout the night and the subway runs under the Ramblas and vibrates your room or do you want a quite no view room not on the street, again, this is an issue for any hotel on the La Ramblas. There was construction on the upper floor which was noticeable if you came back to your room for an afternoon nap (they did offer to move us). The location is about the best you could ask for. I was a little anxious after reading some of the reviews but pleasantly surprised and would definitely recommend the hotel with the one condition of room location. It is within walking distance of most sights and the cabs are reasonable and honest. Pickpockets are an issue in the city but with normal precautions (no purses or backpacks), you should be safe... enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: upper level, not on the street and newly remodeled.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

This hotel is in the best possible location in the middle of the very active Las Ramblas tourist section. It's trendy and hip and the rooms, while small are contemporary and well appointed. My husband and I both slept terribly and woke up stiff because the beds are rock hard and the pillows are not soft and cushy. I do prefer a firm base with a pillow top, but this was the hardest bed I've ever slept on. For that reason alone, I don't recommend this hotel.
The food in the restaurant was fairly good - by no means a five star restaurant - yet a nice place to escape from typical tapas. The bar is very comfortable - cushy lounge chairs & great group seating, but very busy and service is slow due to under staffing.
The coffee bar in the lobby makes a great espresso and serves pastries, muffins & cookies for a quick breakfast before heading out.
Beautiful hotel, wonderful front desk staff--a few management tweaks, upgraded mattresses, and it could be top notch.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel, a regular stay through business and its been on the preferred hotel list of the company for some time. On numerous occasions I have stayed without issue and the hotel is nicely located, comfortable rooms and as a result I return on a regular basis.

The most recent stay however threw up a set of concerns that are still unresolved as I type and just generally dont fit a hotel who wish to portray themsleves as attractive to a business customer.

My stay, as usual, was booked through a partner booking agency who handle the booking and billing and then cross charge to the company. I arrived at check in to be asked for my credit card as usual, not an issue and a usual process for holding funds for incidentals which I settle seperate to the room charges paid for by the agency. I then am asked to pre authorise a substantial amount, highly unusual against previous stays. The response to my statement that the room is paid for by the agency is met by, this is to cover damage and bar/food bills and that I was not being charged. I accept and am comfortable that the values and policy for incidentals may have changed. I leave the actual booking confirmation with the desk agent pointing out that this clearly shows the room is paid for by the agency.

The stay in the hotel is fine and the room is comfortable and without fault.

On check out, I am asked to pay the room bill, a surprise considering the points I rasied at check in. I produce the copy of the confirmation and point out that the bill is not for me but for the agency. I do have to point out that the tourist tax is my own responsibility and proceed to pay this. The check out agent takes the booking confirmation from me and promises that she will pass on and organise as she has not dealt with this before and if there are any issues I will receive a call, otherwise expect the matter to be concluded.

2 days on and the hotel still has hold of my funds and after twice calling, I am unable to speak to the finance department, who will call me or email me back in 48 hours to resolve. Now the actual funds are not really the irritant here, its the fact they are holding my own funds and should have released that hold on check out and after chasing 2 days on, I must wait another 48 hours to receive a call or email to confirm the matter is resolved. That simply doesnt feel right and I am pretty sure if it was the other way round they wouldnt allow me to pay them 4 days later from check out!

So a poor show Le Meridien and one thats still not resolved. The icing on the cake will be if you have charged the agency too.

Business customers, be wary as something has clearly changed in the usual process of booking through travel agency partners.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Palo Alto, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

This is my second stay at this hotel.
I arrived in the mid morning and though I am a gold Starwood member I had to wait in the lobby for over an hour before a room was ready as did many others. The hotel was most completely full that weekend. However, the staff was very friendly and actively tried to accomodate those of us who arrived before the "official check-in" time.

Restaurant - The breakfast buffet that came with our reservation had a lot of choices, and the service was very friendly. Wonderful croissants.
Lobby coffee place - offered coffees and wonderful thick hot chocolates, champagne and desserts and chocolates, for afternoon and early evening dining.

Bed - clean, and modern, but lower to the ground than I care for.. Soft, white duvet covers.

Bathroom - The bathroom was clean and good toiletries, but with few places to hang a bathroom travel kit. Also, the bathroom sink was lower than one usually finds at an upper level hotel. There was no bathtub, just a large grey, glass walled shower.

Location - On Las Ramblas which is a great tourist location and not a far walk from a Train stop.
The location is very good, however, at this stay, in late November, there was a lot of ongoing music and noise outside the hotel which kept us up... We arrived from USA and were to catch a cruise the next morning, and the loud music went on for quite some time. The last time I stayed here, two years ago I faced the side street, where the entrance to hotel is, which was a bigger room and not much noise at all. I recommend this instead of facing the Las Ramblas Street.
There are lots of little alleyways and streets one can shop from this location and the fruit/vegetable market is closely, and I recommend stopping by for a fresh fruit drink and snacks.

The location of hotel is great for walking and a cab to the cruise port is about 12 - 15 Euros.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the side street and NOT directly on Las Ramblas because of nightlife noise. The is...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

From the moment you enter the hotel, you feel welcome. The staff is friendly and there is no wait at the reception. They created key cards for both rooms, which could open both rooms, which is quite useful when travelling as a family. Latte is perfect, also in the morning. Breakfast is a treat, but I was pleased we had paid this as part of our booking, as it is not cheap at 26euro p.p.
The rooms are clean, sufficient and well equipped. Despite the fact that you are located at the centre of Barcelona, there is hardly any noise from outside. Perfect hotel for a long weekend break with the family.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Austin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My family and I spend 4 days at Le Meridien Barcelona last week and we had a fantastic stay at their property. Below are some of the highlights of our stay:
- The reservation staff was very helpful in ensuring that our room reservation needs were met. We were traveling with 2 kids, so they ensured that we had adjoining rooms for our stay. Ms. Montse Pujols gets the highest points for her courteous customer service, providing personal attention, and spending time talking to us several times during the trip. On the day of our arrival, she sat down with us for 20 minutes and gave us personal recommendations for places to visit. Clearly she has a lot of experience in the hospitality industry and Starwood/Le Meridien should be proud to have her on its management staff.
- The property is located in the heart of Las Ramblas and we are so glad that we picked this location. Our teen age boys had a blast spending time on the Las Ramblas. I would pick this property over any other SPG properties in Barcelona.
- The cleaning staff made sure that our rooms were made in a timely manner. When we needed anything, they would follow-up within 5 minutes of the phone call to house keeping
- My wife has lost her purse at Park Guell. Luckily, some nice person found it and called Le Meridien staff that they have left the purse at a public library outside Park Guell. The hotel staff helped us to get the purse picked up from the public library and had it delivered to the hotel. Everything in the purse (credit cards, goggles, personal documents, money was in the purse as is. We are very thankful to the person who found the purse and returned to the public library and Le Meridien staff who helped us to get the purse back.
- Last but not least, we enjoyed the breakfast, beverages at the property. We also got a lot of personal attention from JiJi at the front desk that helped us with the check in, not to mention Mrs. Pujol's excellent customer attention thru out our stay.
- I have to say that our stay at Le Meridien was very pleasant, customer service was awesome, and they didn't dime and nickel the customers. Overall, we had a 5-star experience with Le Meridien Barcelona!!!
- Las Ramblas is very close to many sight seeing locations. For transportation, we used the T-10 Metro tickets (i.e a book of 10 tickets) which you can use it for any public transportation like metro train or bus. One huge benefit of T-10 tickets is that when you punch it for any train or bus ride, it is time-stamped and is good for next 1:15 minutes for any public transportation i.e you can use any public transportation for free for the next 75 minutes without having to use additional tickets!
- Cable ride over the Harbor is a must. This ride has spectacular views of the harbor and all of Barcelona. Park Guell, Sagrada Familia are also must-see places. And Gelato on Las Ramblas is great way to end the night!

Room Tip: Las Ramblas is very close to many sight seeing locations. For transportation, we used the T-10 Metro...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
GDS07, General Manager at Le Meridien Barcelona, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear guest

The only word, sentence or feeling is KUDOS for everyone that made this happen! Thanks for sharing with others such detailed and grat review.

Looking forward to welcome you back To Le Meridien Barcelona

Gonçalo Duarte Silva

Been to Le Meridien Barcelona? Share your experiences!