“Nice location” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #72 of 518 Hotels in Barcelona
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Nice location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We had a difficult time finding a reasonably priced hotel in Barcelona and finally were able to secure a great rate at Le Meridien. The location of the hotel is right in the heart of touristy Las Ramblas; the location made it very easy to get around without having to rely on taxis and public transportation. The room was very tiny and had a strange rubbery smell. The television was extremely difficult to figure out, we had to call the front desk twice to troubleshoot. The first time, a gentleman came to the room to turn the tv on, he had to adjust the light dimmer to power on the tv?? The second time, we were told that to power on the tv, you have to hit a channel number instead of the power button. Hoping this was an isolated incident as there should be instructions provided otherwise. However, the beds were comfortable and the shower was great!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
GDS07, General Manager at Le Meridien Barcelona, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you very much for expressing your opinion and giving us thereby useful feedback! Your positive comments encourage our team to go further and work harder in order to ensure a marvelous stay in our hotel!

It's amazing how technology cycle goes so fast and yes we did had some challenges on our TV's but have already fixed and soon even TV's from 2008 will be upgrades to new digital image as in our new suites.

It was a pleasure to have you at our hotel and if you ever feel like coming back to Barcelona, we would be honored to welcome you in our hotel once again.

Gonçalo Duarte Silva

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brussels
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Just checked in at the Meridien. I've stayed here many times before so know the hotel and what to expect. The main attraction of the hotel has always been its location although this time the check in was so painful that I believe there must be better options in Barcelona. Being an SPG Platinium I was expecting to be offered a welcome amenity and late check out, only to be told that because I had booked through a travel agent I was not eligible. I explained that this was not the case (travel agent always books my stays) and she should check. She refused and being tired I told her I'd take the room and call SPG. I did and after 15' on the phone with SPG I confirmed I was eligible and had a call from the front desk manager with a weak apology and no offer for compensation (not even the price of the phone call I had to make). Unfortunately very atipical of SPG worldwide but not inconsistent with previous experiences in this hotel. My impression is that they know the main attraction is their location and take the rest for granted. On to the room, it is appropriate but nothing exceptional. TV is very small for the size of the room. Bathroom hasn't been upgraded in a while. On bright star was the bell-boy who apologised for the attitude of the check-in staff. Kudos to you! This said, he did bring my suitcase to my room and didn't even put in on the little folding table. Not very 4 or 5 stars. Oh well... All of this is very unfortunate and it gives me a reason to try something else the next time I'm in BCA.

Room Tip: High up to avoid street noise
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
GDS07, General Manager at Le Meridien Barcelona, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you very much for expressing your opinion. Then I honestly apologize for the disappointment you feel.

Your negative feedback is unexpected, since we always try to serve our guests with the highest level of service and within the high occupancies we do have. However, I am glad that you provide us with your feedback. Your critics are more than helpful, because we now know what we can improve. Please feel assured that what you experienced is unusual!

The next time that you visit Barcelona, I hope to get the chance to show you that we can offer you a much better experience. I would be happy to welcome you back to our hotel and to show you that we normally serve a higher level of service!

Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

A relatively small property just off Ramblas and in easy walking distance of many of Barcelona's wonderful sights. Rooms are quite spacious and the service is very friendly and spacious. Restaurant is fine, but there are more original places to eat than there. Wifi is quite expensive.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Guest,

Yes we do provide WIFI free of charge in our public areas, like the HUB at with one mega per user. For higher bandwith unfortunatly we have to charge a certain price.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Really what I am looking for is location. The 4 stars is for location mainly. I like the fact it's the center of town. Free tickets to the Modern Art museum, free cappachino coupon. Nice size room with all the amenities I needed. Quiet room even though it's so close to La Ramblas. No line for check in though check in process was less than smooth ex. asked for passport twice, note when she gave me the passport back I asked can I put these away and she said yes. And 3 minutes later she asked for the passports again because 1st time she did not copy down info, just looked at them??? I would be expecting a smoother check in then what I experience from a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Since your positive experience is our motivation, we always strive to meet and exceed our guests´ expectations. Sometimes speed as this things and I do apologize for having asked you for your passport twice. We will review carefully the process and will ensure that your input will be taken seriously.

Eugene, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel and found it to be VERY overpriced. It has a good location
but that's about it. From the moment we registered-15 minutes in line, one hour to get luggage to room, only one SPA robe, lighting problems, dirty rug etc, we continued to be shocked that
this was considered to be a 5 star hotel. NOT!! The Hotel Montecarlo across the way was
much nicer and cheaper!! Don't waste your money.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
GDS07, General Manager at Le Meridien Barcelona, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you very much for expressing your opinion and giving us thereby useful feedback! Your csuggestion will make us looking into our processes in order to undertsand what do we need to make differently so one can have a marvelous stay with us.

Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

The Le Meridien Hotel is right on the las Ramblas.....that's the good and the bad. At times it can be just over whelming place to be especially during soccer games as everyone heads to the ramblas. The hotel is somewhere between an upscale hotel that is and wants to be. I left there not know which way I felt. The staff was accomodating but honestly during the time I was there they were packed and so even though I am a starwood gold member, they said that there was nothing they could do to put me in a larger room. However, when I offered them more points, oh amazingly they had all kinds of options. For my standards therefore, the normal deluxe rooms are too small and the bathrooms as well. Barcelona is a crazy place and filled with all kinds of people so if you stay here you need to be very aware of your surroundings. As it is on the Ramblas you will have all kinds of people here trying to take your money and offer you things, late at night especially. However, it is a great location to sightsee and to walk from to see parts of the old town. It is two blocks to the famous market and that is a great place to get something to eat.
As it was my first trip to Barcelona I discovered a lot that I will use on my return. For my taste, I would probably stay in the Eixample area like the Omm Hotel which has a great bar on the roof with amazing views of the city. Its more of the high end area of Barcelona and away from the maddening crowds of Las Rambla yet only a five minute subway ride. One other piece of advice....avoid Spain in August! Brutually hot and Barcelona is very humid.

Room Tip: Wish I could tell you how to get a good room but I did not succeed!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Overall, we were a little disappointed with this hotel. While it's location was great we found the staff average and the room mediocre {aside from the bathroom, which was spectacular!}. We arrived for a few days post cruise and were there early, naturally our room was not ready. However, when we returned and it was PAST normal check in time, the front desk acted like they were doing us a favor in giving us our room. When it came to finding out about making calls they were a little all over the place and not very knowledgable about their own hotels policies. If we decide to visit Barcelona again we would definitely try somewhere new.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you very much for expressing your opinion and giving us thereby useful feedback.

I am happy that you also addressed some negative points, because they reveal our improvement points.
Even if this time, we could not meet all your expectations and you experienced unusual service, we hope you give us another chance to show you that we normally serve a higher level of service!

I honestly apologize for any inconveniences that occurred and hope to get the opportunity to prove you wrong and welcome you again some other time in the future!

Gonçalo Duarte Silva

Been to Le Meridien Barcelona? Share your experiences!