First, the good things:
1) Hotel is well located, depending on where you want to go. It's a reasonably short walk from passeig the gracia and the Rambla.
2) It has a great terrace. Especially for summer, where Mateo pours sophisticated cocktails with a friendly smile.
3) Staff are helpful. Francesc was always quick to look for solutions (and taxis!).
4) Looks good from the outside, clean inside.
Now, the not so good:
1) Rooms aren't great. I got a "superior" room and it was small, two beds instead of a king bed. It also didn't smell great. For 150 E a night, it's an adequate value. I got more or less what I paid for. The best part of it was the jacuzzi.
2) Facilities are poor: The super small Gym is inadequate to exercise. Too hot, too little equipment. There are no common areas other than the uncomfortable lobby if one wants to work.
3) Breakfast "express" included in the rate is just ok. Get an non-fresh orange juice, coffee and toasts and butter or jam or croissant. Enough, but nothing to highlight.... you'll see there is ham and spanish "tortilla", but they are not included in the breakfast.
Now, the really bad part:
Internet is essential. If you want to position your hotel to attract business people, you need to understand that without internet people can't work. Internet simply DIDN'T WORK AT ALL and it wasn't an isolated fact, but one that the personnel themselves acknowledged as an issue whenever the hotel is full or busy. The staff response was "Well, internet here is free....". NO!!!!! WRONG ANSWER. The moment you advertise in internet as one of the services the hotel provides, then I am already "paying for it". Hotel America simply advertises something that does not deliver (working internet). Second, if you have to charge for "internet premium" then do it! Even though the personnel was kind enough to provide many possible networks available, nothing really worked.
Definitely not a 4 star hotel. I would go back only if I didn't travel for business.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, EasyToBook, getaroom.com, Despegar.com, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Hotel America reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel America Barcelona, Catalonia
- America Hotel Barcelona