“Nice hotel, terrible staff” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Catalonia Sagrada Familia
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Aragon 569 Bis, 08026 Barcelona, Spain   |
Ranked #268 of 514 Hotels in Barcelona
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel, terrible staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

The hotel itself is quite nice. The rooms are clean and functional, and the pool is relaxing despite reservations about its size by other users. Value-wise, it's fairly reasonable and in a great location that doesn't feel overly suffocating like you would staying around Placa Catalunya or Las Ramblas.

What I took issue with however was the rudeness of the hotel staff when a booking query was flagged with them. They had charged us in GBP when we arrived, against our wishes, which led to us paying more for the hotel than we had agreed and also incurred a booking free from our card provider.

When when we contested it we were given countless half-baked explanations and even insulted by the manager, despite her admission that they had charged us in Euros. First we were told it was because we were English - despite them putting down our nationality as Irish(!) - and then claimed that we wanted to be charged in GBP...on a pre-paid Euro-only card.

Having spoken to our card provider, they confirmed that the hotel had decided to charge us in GBP. When we asked the manager for some confirmation that we never requested to be charged in GBP, she gave us a note that wasn't even worth the plain paper it was written on and signed it 'The Front Desk'.

It soured what would have otherwise been a pleasant stay and has deterred me from ever booking with them again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Antonio_Sanchez_HC, Director General at Hotel Catalonia Sagrada Familia, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Dear RB7787,

First of all we would like to thank you for forwarding us your comments, as the opinion of our guests is of the utmost importance to us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

We regret not being able to fulfil your expectations regarding your stay with us and I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you had concerning the payment.
I also take the opportunity to explain how the payment procedure is done so that other possible guests who might be reading this lines don’t have the same problem.

Our reservation’s system works with Euros, as it is our official money currency; that means that when a reservation is done, our system calculates the total amount of the reservation in Euros. When a guest arrives at the hotel and they give us a credit card for the payment we proceed to charge it in Euros. At this time (and not always) the dataphone gives us the opportunity to change the charge into our guest’s own card currency (at the change the bank has that day) and we always ask them how they want to be charged and let them press the option by themselves. Normally we don’t have any inconveniences but apparently something wrong happened this time.

Once again, I would like to apologize for this inconvenience. I sincerely hope that you will give us another chance to demonstrate you the renowned quality of our property if ever your travel brings you back to Barcelona.

Kind Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Stayed twice, both times great experience. Clean rooms , lovely breakfast. Great location. Only 10 minutes walk from Sagrada Familia. 2 mnutes from underground. In general you just can't go wrong. Would go again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Antonio_Sanchez_HC, Director General at Hotel Catalonia Sagrada Familia, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Sebastian,

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel and of course for your extremely kind review. We are very pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay between us and that you appreciate the location, our rooms and our lovely breakfast.

We can’t wait to welcome you once again in your third visit to our wonderful city!

Best Regards,
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Hotel Catalonia Sagrada Familia for a long weekend in May. We had originally looked at places to stay closer to La Rambla but I'm actually quite glad we chose not to stay in that area in the end - we found La Rambla to be a bit overrated and a general tourist trap (prices, crowds etc). So instead we decided to stay closer to the Sagrada Familia and this hotel is about a 10-15 minute walk away from the church. Our route was straight down the main road and turn right up the road where you see a Peugeot garage and keep walking up until you see the church (simples!) and we would use the hop on, hop off bus that stopped at the Sagrada Familia. Alternatively, if you walk in the opposite direction up the road that the hotel is on, there is a Metro station that can get you around Barcelona to visit places like Camp Nou. I would recommend the bus because you can see a lot more of the city than on an underground train and it is more informative - had I used the Metro all the time, I wouldn't have thought to visit Mount Tibidabo (which is a stop on the tour bus) and see the city from up high and enjoy the view whilst sitting back with a drink or two - I was on holiday after all!

The breakfast was quite good; plenty of choice from pancakes and omelettes to fruit and cereal. I really couldn't grumble about it and found it was a good way to stock up on lots of energy for a day's worth of exploring the city. I don't recall reading any reviews that were negative about the food here but if there are any, it would really surprise me. Speaking of food, I would suggest eating in the restaurants around the Sagrada Familia - prices are decent and seeing the church lit up at night is such a lovely atmosphere. It is also a lot quieter than in the day so you can have a pleasant stroll around it without bumping in to anybody. The same applies if you wanted to go inside it; in summer, the opening hours are until 8pm so we visited around 6/7ish as the queue was nowhere near as large and standing around in the heat won't drive you mad. If you wanted to, you could get a ticket just before closing time for the next day so you avoid the queue and get to go straight in the next day with all the time in the world to look around.

My only grumbles would probably be that the room was a little on the small side. I say that but honestly, we only used the room to shower, change and sleep in and we had enough space to do that in. If you want a larger room, maybe it is worth paying the extra for a suite. Also, our room wasn't ready when we arrived after an early morning flight. That didn't bother me so much as I've experienced this many times before and there was a room for us to leave our luggage in so we could go out for a few hours. We asked if we could leave our passports with the reception desk rather than walk around with them in my bag to which the lady at reception was happy to comply. The issue was when we came back, the staff had changed shifts and the new staff member at reception knew nothing about our passports. He found them in the end (and muttered a few frustrated words under his breath) but it was worrying for a while as to where our passports had been put. Maybe this is just a communication issue between staff that could be looked at.

If I was to return to Barcelona for another adventure, I would definitely come back to this hotel. If you choose to stay here, I hope you have as good an experience in this wonderful city as I did.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Antonio_Sanchez_HC, Director General at Hotel Catalonia Sagrada Familia, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Dear Helen Statham,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay at Hotel Catalonia Sagrada Familia with us.

I am happy to read that you had a nice stay in the hotel and that you found our hotel's location and our breakfast perfect for your needs.

On the other hand I would also like to thank you for your comments about the inconvenient you had; your opinion is important to us because it helps us improve.

Should you plan a return visit to Barcelona in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us directly. We look forward to seeing you again very soon in our sunny city.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

Okay, so overall this hotel is pretty good. The rooms were clean and modern (though two twin beds pushed together is not an ideal "double"). Bathroom spacious and clean, plenty of space for clothing etc.
Pool is nice! A lot of people seem to think it's too small but it's bigger once your in it! Kind of a pain having to beg at reception for pool towels every time you go!
Breakfast, we didn't have. At 13 euro each this is really excessive. There are tonnes of places nearby where two people can eat for that price ( and get change!!!!)
The location is excellent. There are lots of lovely local bars and restaurants that are very cheap and a 10 minute walk from sagrada familia is perfect.
Our issue was with the staff. On arrival we agreed to pay in euro. However we were charged in pounds! Which lead to us paying more than we should have and incurring a fine from the bank. Hotel denied all knowledge for 2 days despite me having a receipt that states I was charged in pounds. Hotel staff reduced me to tears.
So if you can avoid the staff, it's a good hotel. Just beware of how they charge you!!!!!

• Stayed July 2014
Antonio_Sanchez_HC, Director General at Hotel Catalonia Sagrada Familia, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear Rach_xox,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your opinion about your stay at Hotel Catalonia Sagrada Familia.

First of all I would like to apologise for the inconvenience you had concerning the payment of your stay. We normally charge to everyone in Euros, as it is our currency and our invoices are made in this coin, so we will have to check what happened specifically in this case so that it doesn’t happen again to anyone.

On the other hand we are happy to know that you enjoyed the pool and our rooms, and for your next visit we would also like to recommend you to let us know if you prefer a double room with just one big bed, so that you are more comfortable.

Concerning the price of the breakfast we would like to let you know that it is a very large buffet, with a wide variety of fresh products, so the price is really worth it.

Thank you once again for sharing your opinion with us and we hope that in your next visit we can exceed all your expectations.

Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Very nice and clean hotel, it is close to the train (stright connection - 30 min to airport) and metro station (10 min to center) - staff talk not only Spanish (English). We didn't choose breakfast, which price for us was a bit to expensive, you can have a nice breakfast just on the opposite side of the hotel for the half of the hotel price :), but besides that... very nice bathroom, good quality bed. Really recommend the place.
The only thing is not OK is swimming-pool, which is rather a hole in the ground, you cannot name it a swimming-pool :)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Antonio_Sanchez_HC, Director General at Hotel Catalonia Sagrada Familia, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear Przemyslaw,

Thank you for choosing our hotel and of course for your kind review.

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed the rooms and that you liked the location of the hotel.

For other guests that might be reading your post, I would like to clarify that as you comment our swimming pool is a little one, it’s not really designed to swim but to get refreshed after a long day in the city.
Concerning the breakfast it is true that it has a price of 13€ but it’s a very complete buffet with a wide variety of fresh products, totally worth it. For those who want just a coffee and some pastries there is also the option of having breakfast at our bar, for a more adjusted price.

Thank you once again Mr. Przemyslaw for your review, it will be a pleasure to welcome you back soon in Catalonia Sagrada familia Hotel.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

This was my worst hotel experience worldwide. From the moment we arrived to the hotel until your last day it was disappointment after disappointment. After booking a double room were were given twin beds upon our arrival. When we complained about this to the reception we were told that the hotel does not have double beds and all the beds are twin. After I showed them my confirmation, their website and pointing out that they have screens behind their back advertising double beds they responded with ' Sorry, but we have more twin beds that double and we can't make everyone happy'. We were promised a move the next day to a double room which was a disaster. We came back around 11pm to move rooms to find out that our new room had an unbearable smell of cigarettes and dirty bed sheets!! So they promised to move us again the next day. Guess what - the new room had twin beds again and a smell of cigarettes. Given that it was my last night i just gave up. The minibar was dirty, shower curtain mouldy (and that a premium room) also I noticed that unless you book a premium room there is no safe in the room. I work in the industry myself and I don't know why & how but this hotel got everything wrong. Stay away from this place!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Antonio_Sanchez_HC, Director General at Hotel Catalonia Sagrada Familia, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Dear PlainCool,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review about your stay at Catalonia Sagrada Familia because your comments help us improve.

I would also like to take the opportunity to go over what happened during your stay with us, so that other people who may me reading this review can understand it better.

We received your reservation as a room for 2 people (we didn’t receive any specification weather you wanted a king size bed or twin beds, even if your confirmation with the agency said so). For future guests who may be reading these lines I kindly recommend you to let us know in advance if you have any preference, so that we can make our best to locate you according to it.
As at the time of your arrival we didn’t have availability for a king size bedroom, we offered you a change of room for the next day, and that is what we did.
Sadly, the guests on the room next to the one we reserved for you spent the afternoon smoking, although that floor is a non smoking floor (obviously we didn’t notice it) so unfortunately, when you arrived at night the room smelled of tobacco. At that time (11 pm), it was impossible to change you to a new room as we were fully booked and so we offered you again to move to another room the next morning, or to do something about the smell at that room, so that you’d be more comfortable. Before you decided something, we told you that there where no more king size bedrooms available but that you could move to a twin bedroom once again. I apologize if you felt bad because you could not enjoy the room you wished to have but there was no other solution we could have given you at this point.

On the other hand I would like to clarify that all our rooms are equipped with a safe, maybe you didn’t see it, but they are all inside our closets.

I would like to apologise once again for the inconveniences and in any case I warmly thank you for taking the time to write your review. Please do not doubt that we will carefully analyze each and every point discussed.

Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights at the beginning of June and really enjoyed our trip.

The location is great, Clot metro station is a couple of minutes walk away and its only a few stops into central Barcelona. Clot area itself is really nice, we visited a few of the local tapas bars and they were lovely.

The pool is a godsend after a long day of sightseeing, its only small but its perfect to cool off in.

We had a standard double room which was quite small but we didn't really spend much time in it so didn't mind at all. It was very clean and functional.

All in all, when we return to Barcelona (which we will, we love it there!) we will definitely be booking to stay here again. For the low price we paid I don't think you could get anything better with a pool.

Dear Kathryn,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and to all other Tripadvisor users. We are more than pleased to know you enjoyed your stay in Catalonia Sagrada Familia and that you specially liked the location of the hotel, the cleanliness of the room and the pool.
Thank you once again for your kind review. We hope to see you back soon in our hotel.

Kind Regards,

Been to Hotel Catalonia Sagrada Familia? Share your experiences!