I would love to give this hotel an Excellent rating but unfortunately I cannot because they are not quite equipped to handle the volume of group reservations that they book. We stayed here both pre- and post-cruise, and while I understand that rooms are not guaranteed to be ready until check-in time later in the afternoon, my family and I were stuck in the lobby while others who arrived at the same time as us were given both rooms of their reservations. After an overnight flight, we only wanted access to one of our standard rooms which was reserved as part of the cruiseline package (the same as the others who arrived were also getting). We had similar experience upon our return from the cruise to the hotel. In addition, their bell staff is ill-equipped for handling group arrivals with luggage that will need to be stored. When we arrived, our luggage was put in an open area of the lobby along with the others - we were not given a bell-tag and the luggage was stanchioned off with a rope guard but still openly exposed for all the foot traffic in the hotel lobby. We thought they were going to move it into storage while we were waiting for our room(s) to be ready in the afternoon, so we were astonished to find that was not the case when we returned to the hotel at 2 PM and our luggage was the only luggage left in the lobby. When we returned to the hotel post-cruise, the cruise ship staff had to get involved in getting the bell staff to give luggage slips and move the luggage from the lobby to a more secure area.
Now, all that out of the way, I have to give a big shout out to front desk staff Michelle who worked with us for getting a room post-cruise before 3 PM, and not only that, she was able to get things worked out so one of our rooms could be a twin-bed room as we had requested but had not been noted in our reservation (we had that accommodation on our pre-cruise stay so we were surprised when that was not the case for our post-cruise stay - this is likely not the fault of the hotel but I mention it here only because Michelle was phenomenal in getting us what we needed).
There is free wifi in the hotel lobby and wifi available for a fee (or free if you are specific Marriott rewards levels) in the rooms - but it's sporadic at best. The terrace on the 8th Floor was the best connection we had and was lovely to sit and relax. They have bar service and some food service available there in the evenings.
There is not a pool but a small fountain pool on the terrace, not for swimming or wading.
The rooms were clean and comfortable and not too small even by European standards. The breakfast was a full buffet and delicious.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Renaissance Barcelona Hotel is conveniently located in the heart of the city and just steps away from Paseo de Gracia shopping district and Plaza Cataluña. The hotel is also just minutes away from famous cultural and historical sites such as Las Ramblas and Sagrada Familia, but also surrounded by many little hidden treasured away from the main stream tourist attractions.This ultimate full-service lifestyle hotel offers 211 contemporary guestrooms. The hotel features 7 meeting rooms with almost 500 m2 ideal for corporate meeting and social gathering, and also the outside venue “La Terrassa”, available for private functions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Venere, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Marriott, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Renaissance Barcelona Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ac Diplomatic Hotel Barcelona
- Renaissance Barcelona Hotel Catalonia