My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights. Having read the reviews on tripadvisor, I must admit that I was a little apprehensive about having booked the hotel. Then when we arrived, although we were greeted extremely warmly by Santiago, there was a very irate guest at the desk who was shouting his complaints for all to hear. Dirt sheets, dirty room etc. this made me more nervous. However, Santiago apologised to us an continued with our check in.
We asked for a room with a balcony and were given a room at the front of the building with a covered balcony. When we arrived in the room the first thing I did was to check the shoes and the bathroom. Both were spotless. The room is really nicely decorated and while it is a bit smaller than other rooms I have stayed in it is quite sufficient and at no time did we feel that the room was too small. The sheets ant towels were changed every day.
I was aware from hotel reviews that there were no tea making facilities and so I came prepared with travel kettle and thus did not have a problem. We had a fridge in the room so were able to keep milk and water cool.
We di not book breakfast for a couple of reasons - firstly I felt 13 euro is a bit expensive and secondly I don't eat so much at breakfast, just toast. so with my travel kettle we had our own breakfast in the room as ther is a bread/pastry shop on the street at the back of the hotel (carrier Mallorca) one morning however we did decide to try the breakfast and it only cost 8 euro!!! And the breakfast is definitely worth that.
The pool was a little disappointing as while you know it is small you don't expect it to be so small. It is not really big enough to swim in but really for cooling down in the extreme heat of Barcelona. We had decided to spend an afternoon at the pool sunbathing but as there was no room we stayed on the terrace just beneath the pool which was wonderful. It was private and there was a shower for cooling down. to have this facility in a major city is fantastic though and the views from the pool area is wonderful.
All in all I felt this hotel was excellent, staff were friendly and helpful. Air con was adequate, not too cool. But just nice for during the night. Metro across the road. Direct line from airport. Close to everything.
I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Atenas Barcelona
- Hotel Catalonia Atenas
- Catalonia Atenas
- Catalonia Atenas Hotel Barcelona
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Totally renewed in 2004, the hotel is situated in Avenida Meridiana, with easy access to any part of the city due to the proximity to Aragon Street one main streets of Barcelona, and Rondas witch will help you to get shortly to the Metropolitan Area. The Hotel Atenas is provided of an outdoor swimming pool and a solarium situated in the upper part of the hotel where you will enjoy a brilliant panoramic view of Barcelona. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Tingo, Agoda, Otel, Travelocity and Venere so you can book your Catalonia Atenas Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.