“Perfect hotel but a bit "Business"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Barcelona - Fira Center

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Barcelona - Fira Center to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Barcelona - Fira Center
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida de Rius I Taulet, 1-3, 08004 Barcelona, Spain (Formerly Fira Palace Barcelona)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #92 of 520 hotels in Barcelona
Radio Kootwijk, The Netherlands
“Perfect hotel but a bit "Business"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

The Crowne Plaza hotel in Barcelona is excellent but it is a bit boring or maybe just a bit 'business' (a matter of taste and preference I guess)
It misses the intimacy but for the rest it is very good in every way. Location is good, adjacent to Montjuïc and the Olympic center with Placa D'Espanya around the corner.
We got an upgrade to a very nice and spacious suite (from the IHG loyalty program).
The Club Lounge is very comfortable and the blonde hostess is extremely helpful and service minded, minding the smallest detail and helping out with planning trips and sightseeing, super!
Absolutely a comfortable and luxurious stay with value for money.
+ Spacious, everything is high quality, bathroom/shower, super big thick towels
- Small windows, breakfast is not bad but could be better, lacks 'intimacy'

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

34 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
worldwide
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

...So, I extended!
I was on a short break to Barcelona to see the sights and meet friends who live there. I arrived 1pm and Juliette was brilliant. She was very approachable, friendly and was very welcoming, (more so as I have come to appreciate when your in another country). I was more than happy to drop my bag and start exploring but she found me a room on the 5th floor and I was checked in with minimal fuss and lots of attention.

I was gobsmacked at the size of the room, it was HUGE! I can honestly say I have never stayed in a standard room of this size. It was clean to an exceptionally high standard and had everything you needed. The size of the TV was massive (was the first thing I tweeted about). Channel selection was good, and I loved the ability to use my phone wireless'ly as a remote control for YouTube and was able to watch some old sitcoms and catch up on programs from home (UK).

Bathroom had bathtub, separate shower and separate bidet and toilet. Heated mirrors, bathrobes and toiletries. Towels were gleaming and super fluffy. Separate door in the corridor of the room to shut out the main door and bathroom, brilliant!

Large (laptop) safe which was extremely easy to operate and ideal for storing all my valuables. Bed was HUGE! And super comfy I slept very well after my days socialising. Separate sofa, nespresso, kettle, stocked tea tray and fully stocked mini bar.

My Spanish friends came to visit and were equally impressed with this hotel, they said it was more than 5* and I would be inclined to agree with them. Lots of electrical outlets and brilliant AC both cooling and yes on one day heating as one day there was a downpour of rain and the Sahara sand so was nice to warm up on returning. :-P

Housekeeping and mini bar staff I encountered were very polite and friendly. Room cleaned on a daily basis was to a very high standard. Loved that I could leave my belongings around yet nothing was thrown away and instead was placed neatly in the area it was found, thank you.

I was supposed to move to another hotel to finish my trip, but with ease Maria the Front Desk Manager was able to extend my reservation and I was thrilled to be staying a little longer.

I arranged a private car to collect me from the hotel at 5:45 with both myself and the driver arriving at reception just after 5:30, very punctual. Driver was exceptionally friendly without being overbearing. Got me to the airport in less than 15mins safely arranged by the hotel for 45 euros, excellent.

Am already planning on coming back and have spoken more about the hotel to my friends and colleagues than the trip itself. Thank you CP Barcelona for a wonderful stay ;-)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This hotel has recently been renovated and so much improved compared to my visit 2 years ago. The rooms are large and modern. Nice beds, giant desk, sitting area, minibar, ironboard and nespresso and tea facility. Good bathroom with bath and shower. There is a business center where you can make prints free of charge. Breakfast was what you expect in a 4-star hotel and lunch idem. All you need for a comfortable stay. If you dont come to work: There is a cute tapas restaurant and one upscale restaurant really nearby, but it is not a swinging neighborhood. What really makes the difference with other 4 four star hotels is the staff. This hotel used to be named Fira plaza, now it is Crowne plaza fira center. I dont know whether they retrained staff.... But there were exceptionally friendly and service minded. It was top of the bill prior arrival by email, at the frontdesk, at breakfast at the meetingsrooms, at the bar. No exception. They promised that they will have a wellness center next visit. Definitely coming back when I need to be in town for work.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The Crowne Plaza Barcelona Fira Center is a lovely hotel. Modern and sophisticated in both the lobby and the rooms. The bathroom was gorgeous - lovely fixtures, nice products for guests to try, lots of towels, bright lights and tub and a shower. Reception staff are pleasant, helpful and friendly. I wish my hotel room had more natural light, but this is what you often get with downtown hotels.

A few problems. I was like another guest who booked the hotel looking forward to swimming and workout and was disappointed to discover that the facilities were being renovated and we were expected to go elsewhere. I was irked that I had not been informed beforehand; I could have saved some room in my luggage. I also wonder if renovation is responsible for the odd smells that came from my plumbing - sewage smell one day, sulfur smell the next. Both came and went, but were unpleasant nonetheless. A final problem was the housekeeping. My room was poorly cleaned each day - definitely tidied, but unpleasant little details like muck left on the dishes, 3/4 of the tub clean, 1/4 still with soap scum, and a spill in the fridge that was there when I arrived and remained until I left.

I say things could get better because the gym will eventually reopen and you could get luckier with your housekeeper. I thought the location of the hotel was perfect because it was on a quiet street but a short walk to the subway and several local attractions. A short subway ride or longer walk to most things in the city. A beautiful park nearby and lots of cafes, restaurants, and even a grocery store (underground, next to the subway station). I was staying at the hotel for a conference and the conference details were handled efficiently. I agree breakfast was a bit costly, but it was convenient and had lots of options - about as good as you could expect from a hotel breakfast buffet. After the conference, I went elsewhere for breakfast.

I would happily stay here again for a conference or just for visiting Barcelona, although I would check to see if the gym and pool were open. In the end, the good things balanced off the bad.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
CrownePlazaBarcelona, Director General at Crowne Plaza Barcelona - Fira Center, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear guest,

Many thanks for having taken the time to send your reviews regarding your recent stay on this website.
I am delighted to read your comments about our pleasant, helpful and friendly staff.
Certainly apologize for the inconvenience caused about finding the pool closed. In fact, we are undertaking a major reform and very soon, it will be re-open as a wonderful Spa and Fitness area wich, of course, I wish you come and enjoy.
I really appreciate all feedback provided as it is the main way to detect our weakness and so became better every day.

Many thanks again for your time and I hope you give us a second chance on your next visit to Barcelona.

Enrique Escofet
Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I booked this hotel for a weekend for my sister's birthday. We were checked in quickly and someone offered to take our bags up to the room for us. The room was just beautiful! everything was perfect and exceptionally clean and the beds were so comfortable I wanted to take it home with me! the staff there were very helpful in telling us good places to eat, shop etc too.
We were right near loads of bars and restaurants and also near the beach, perfect location!
We will definitely be coming back to this hotel for our next trip to Barca :)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

I stayed at the Hotel Fira Palace mid-February on a business trip. It is very close to the beautiful National Art Museum of Catalonia and about 30mins walk to the main shopping area on La Rambla. There are also various types of public transport available nearby if you aren’t feeling energetic.

The rooms are modern, clean, spacious and bright with huge Smart TVs which means if you don’t speak Spanish you can still watch something in your native tongue on the net. I spent quite a bit of my first day working from my room and on two occasions staff walked into my room, the first time they knocked and came in to replenish the minibar and the second time two maintenance guys doing work on my floor who didn’t think it necessary to knock barged in and as neither of us spoke the other’s language it made for an interesting “discussion”!

Apart from the interruptions the hotel itself is in a good location and has the necessary amenities for business travel, i.e. iron and board, hairdryer, tea and coffee making facilities and the WIFI is adequate. The food in the restaurant is decent and the breakfast buffet has a good choice. If you are in Barcelona on business it is a good base to work from but if you are looking for a hotel with a bit of a buzz you won’t find it here.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

I stayed here on a business trip recently and was pleasantly surprised - the service quality was excellent and the rooms were impressive. The rooms in the hotel are fairly large, about 40sqm each, which provides ample space even after including a sofa, an armchair, work desk, luggage rack and bed - great if you are travelling with a considerable amount of luggage.

The bed was comfortably and the sheets were of decent quality. I personally like the way the bathroom is configured into three distinct partitions - one for the shower, one for the WC and bidet, and the main partition containing the tub and sink. Cleanliness is very good overall, and the toiletries provided come in aesthetically pleasing tubes.

I had access to the lounge which provided an excellent selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages all day - unlike some lounges that limit the alcoholic offerings to a select few hours a day. Breakfast in the lounge was also decent, albeit somewhat limited in variety. Service overall was welcoming and wait times were minimal at the lounge reception counter.

What made the hotel special is the little touches they provide - such as a "good night sleep" kit which included two aromatherapy bottles in the form of a pillow spray and an essential oil that helps with sleep. The housekeeper left a greeting note along with a two pieces of chocolate after making up the room - some touches that count.

In the vicinity are a few restaurants and a convenience store, which provide a variety of food options from pricey fine dining, spanish tapas to cheap ham and cheese sandwiches. Getting a cab from the hotel is quite easy and there are usually cabs waiting at the doorstep.

Overall an excellent stay and will definitely return when I'm in Barcelona.

Room Tip: Rooms with lounge access are worthwhile.