“Good but not four star” 4 of 5 stars

You added Alimara Barcelona Hotel to your Saves list
Alimara Barcelona Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   C/ Berruguete 126, 08035 Barcelona, Spain   |
Ranked #255 of 517 Hotels in Barcelona
“Good but not four star”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

I read the reviews but was already booked here for two nights on business. I was concerned with the lack of A/C and excessive road noise. There is no A/C but it was fine to open a window and the road noise is bearable. Surrounding area is a bit grotty.

My room was a suite, which is basically a family room configured for a couple. Clean and spaceous but clearly a family room first with two distinct "bedrooms". Breakfast and the bar snack I had was good. Staff were excellent and spoke good English.

It is far from the city but a Metro ride took less than 15 minutes on a clean train (2.30 Euro) to get me to the Maritime Museum at the bottom of Ramblas. I returned at 1:30am on a busy, clean and safe train. The way to travel and unlike anything you'd experience on London Underground.

A/C and a gym/pool would get it four stars but it's a good value hotel. Not the best but definitely not as bad as some reviewers claim.

Room Tip: Opposite side to the motorway are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Far from the city center of Barcelona but near with a fast Metro ride. This was a very nice hotel located in the suburbs of Barcelona. Clean, efficient business hotel with nice outdoors and friendly staff.
The restaurant had great food with a nice atmosphere and gardens outside. Close by is the beautiful Labryinth Park which is worth a visit for its gardens and water elements. Walking the garden maze is fun...if you can figure out how to walk out of it.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Ridgewood, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We didn't really know what to expect. The train was 5 minutes walk which made the lack of restaurants and nightlife just fine. It was a nice quiet residential area but nothing to brag about. We were there to be close to Marcet soccer facility. We opted for the family room which had a separate room when you first walk into the door. It really is not a living room but more of a separate room with bunk beds that fold down IF you need more sleeping space. Nothing special about this odd shaped room. We didn't need to spend the extra 50 or so euros but we were ok with it and didn't want to move. OK road noise.....I thought this would bother me but after a night or two, I got used to it and then actually tuned it out. With the windows closed I could not hear the cars. Our room did not have air conditioning but it was not a problem. I thought it would be hot and it sounds bad but we were fine with opening the windows and letting the wonderful breeze cool the room. It was way better air quality than if we did have air in the room. The staff was very kind and helpful. One thing I read on some of the reviews before I arrived was that the staff was not nice, but I found them to be reserved but very nice. I am learning that "European reserved" is a trait that can be misinterpreted. The food was good in the restaurant and I liked the outdoor seating area very much. I'm not sure how to rate this hotel because although we were happy, one might not like the air being broken or the road noise. I rate 4 because i was happy but it is not a 4 star hotel, it is a high 3 in reality with an after taste of a 4 : ).

• Stayed April 2014
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

I went to stay at Alimara for three nights mid April. The hotel is clean, and well maintained.

My main issue was the wifi, the free access is not in your room, an it's extremely slow. Also, it's expensive to use for a night if you do decide to go with in room access.

Also, although I only had one meal there, the restaurant downstairs is expensive and the food is awful. And to eat outside on the terrace, you are charged!

Other than that, good clean place to stay, with really good transport links (metro station outside)

Stayed April 2014
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

Went to Barcelona for a 3 day trip and booked to stay at the Alimara. From initial observance, the hotel was clean, modern and somewhat efficient. Unfortunately, the hotel does NOT have Air conditioning. Given the temperatures whilst there (21-23c) AC is required.

When I questioned the desk they told me the hotel doesn't have AC and I should open the windows. The hotel is situated next to a national highway with huge volume of traffic and when keeping the windows open, the noise levels ensured I didn't get any sleep.

When on holiday, we book hotels for rest and this hotel did not provide the sanctity I needed and after 3 days and nights, I was glarry eyed and wanting my bed back.

Try and find alternatives as this may be pleasing to the eye but cannot get any rest.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Vantaa, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Spent 6 nights with my wife in this hotel, from 27th of December 2013 until 2nd of January 2014. Very nice and cosy room, peaceful atmosphere and very good service. No complaints about food also. Location of hotel is very good as metro station was just behind building. We also had a car with us and location served this purpose also very well.

Quite expensive Wi-Fi is only thing to complain about, but we'll still be back some day :)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Ilfov
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Hello!
We stayed 5 days in Alimara, but wew were not very pleased. Te personnel was not very helpful, the wi-fi was very expensive and (if payed) doesn't work at all...
The rooms are very clean, indeed, the hotel aspect/ look is in the high-end, the breakfast is very rich.
The location is not great, lucky the metro map in Barcelona is more than perfect!

We wouldn't chose Alimara, anyway.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Alimara Barcelona Hotel? Share your experiences!