“Don't Trust the Reservation Department” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Espana

You added Hotel Espana to your Saves list
Hotel Espana
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carrer Sant Pau 9-11, 08001 Barcelona, Spain (El Raval)   |
Ranked #61 of 514 Hotels in Barcelona
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Baltimore, MD
“Don't Trust the Reservation Department”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

After reading all of the positive reviews, I sent them an email to confirm the "Long term" stay offer they had was refundable. When they assured me it was, I booked (or thought I booked) a room for 4/26/13 - 4/30/13. A few months later we couldn't find the confirmation, so I sent another email (to the address that had answered my Long Term stay question) asking for them to send us a confirmation. The response back was that they had no reservation under my name or my husband's name. They had no vacancy so we found, booked, and received a confirmation at a different hotel.

Fast forward to this past Friday when I received an email from them saying they were looking forward to meeting us in a week. Completely confused, and in a rush (a lot of hotel costs were refundable UP to a week before) we called the hotel. This time, the front desk saw there was a reservation and told my husband that if we wanted to cancel (since we already have another hotel booked) we would have to call Saturday. When my husband called Saturday, they told us they didn't see a reservation for us.

I sent an email to every address I could find to ensure they had no reservation under either of our names. I made sure that I listed the dates, and the names, that we want any reservation that exists (apparently it does to some, and doesn't to others) to be cancelled without penalties.

Luckily, they did respond in writing saying we wouldn't incur any penalties, and the reservation (which they didn't see a few weeks ago or Saturday morning) is, in deed, cancelled. I just need to make sure I keep it in case someone labels us as a no show and charges us.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Nuria B, Director General at Hotel Espana, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
First of all I would like to thank you for sharing with us about this completely isolated situation with our reservation's Department.

I am sure that there must have been an informatic mistake about your reservation and I do apologize for the inconveniences caused.

Anyway, I feel obliged to tell you that this opinion is not fair neither for Hotel España and neither for its staff. I am sure there other ways to solve situations like this. We daily work very hard for our guests satisfaction and this comments makes us feel upset.

In spite of this, I hope you will give us a new opportunity to show the excellent level of our service and facilities in Hotel España. Cordially yours.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Very new hotel, artsy, and in a fantastic location if you want to be near Las Ramblas. Design is funky by some famous local architect. Tourists stop in to see the dining room! We hear the restaurant is top notch too but didn't get a chance to try it. The rooms are very comfortable but on the small side. It had everything we needed and was very modern and clean. Definitely a recommendation if Las Ramblas is your preference. Having seen more of the City, I would now stay in the Gothic Quarter or El Born. I really liked the area near the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Mar.

Room Tip: Interior rooms that hug the central air well are fun as you get to walk the narrow and very artsy co...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
First of all I would like to thank you for choosing us for your stay in Barcelona and for your nice word.

We are happy to know that the hotel has fulfilled your expectations and I highly recommend you for your netx staut with us our Restaurant Fonda España: a very good experience to know authentic Catalonian products and typical dishes. It worth it!!

I hope to welcome you back at Hotel España in the very near future. Cordially yours.
Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Booked this hotel after reading the reviews on here and absolutely loved it!!! Deco was great, staff were great and the location was great! Couldn't fault!! Would definitely stay here again next time I'm in Barcelona and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
First of all I would like to thank you for choosing us for your stay in Barcelona and for letting us know about your experience with us.

We are very pleased to hear your received a good service from our staff. We work very hard for the satisfaction of our guest and it is very rewarding to know we made you enjoy.

We also thank you for recommending us!

Looking forward to welcoming you at Hotel España in the near future. Kind regards.
Barcelona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

I remember coming here for a very cheap lunch many years ago and being wowed by Domenech i Montaner's fabulous decorations. The prices have gone up but it's still beautiful so it's probably worth it! ... I haven't stayed here but its location just off La Rambla augers well.

• Stayed March 2013
First of all I would like to thank you for choosing us for your stay in Barcelona and for sharing your experience with us and other visitors.

We are very pleased to hear your enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you at Hotel España very soon. Cordially yours.
Lachine, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed 1 week at hotel España and we love it. Room was awesome, beatiful, chic, modern, clean and very calm. Close enough from La Rambla's action, and just as far to be away from its noise and sleep well. Excellent service from all the employees. Would go back anytime!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Nuria B, Director General at Hotel Espana, responded to this review, April 16, 2013

We are very pleased to hear you enjoy you stay at Hotel España. We work very hard for the satisfaction of our guest and it is very rewarding to know we made you enjoy.

Thank you very much for recommending Hotel España to friends and family!
We hope to see you again in a near future. Yours cordially,
Beccles, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel in a great location just off of La Rambla. The staff are very helpful and polite and the décor within the hotel is something to behold; there is a very unusual fireplace in the bar and the walls of the dining room are amazing! The rooms themselves are contemporary in design and very comfortable. We would definitely recommend this hotel and look forward to visiting it again ourselves in the not too distant future!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your really nice comments!!
It is very rewarding to know that Hotel España staff and its facilities have fulfilled your expectations.
In your next visit, I guess it may be soon, you can not leave Barcelona without dinning in our Fonda España Restaurant. It really worth it!
Thank you for recommending Hotel España and We look forward to seeing you very soon. Kind regards.
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

The hotel is situated in a perfect part of town, one block from Ramblas, a few blocks from the market, five blocks from barrio Gotic, and about a ten minute walk from the ocean. Oh, and the Metro is steps from the door. Perfect. Service was spot on, and the rooms appear to be renovated and have a boutique hotel feel to them. Excellent experience overall. Will definitely be staying here again on our next trip to Barcelona.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
First of all I would like to thank you for choosing Hotel España for your stay in Barcelona and for letting us know about your experience with us.

We are very pleased to hear your received a good service from our staff and that the hotel fulfilled your expectations. It is very rewarding to know we made you enjoy. Thank you for your nice comments to us.

Looking forward to welcoming you again at Hotel España in the near future. Best regards.

Been to Hotel Espana? Share your experiences!