“The staff at the front desk were amazing!” 5 of 5 stars

You added Hostal Centric to your Saves list
Hostal Centric
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   C/Casanova, 13, 08011 Barcelona, Spain   |
Ranked #63 of 689 Specialty Lodging in Barcelona
“The staff at the front desk were amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

The employees at reception were outstanding and so patient with us. We only stayed one night but were probably some of the neediest people. We needed to mail stuff home and do laundry and get to the Segrada Familia and the cruise pier on a day of taxi strike and they held our hands through all of it.
Our room was very small for four of us, but clean and comfortable enough. The one problem we had was that the balcony door would not shut completely so we had to listen
to a lot of street noise during the night. If we had been staying another night I would have mentioned it
I will definitely stay here
again if we are ever back in Barcelona.

• Stayed June 2014

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Extremely helpful staff. They also speak excellent english. Room was clean and served our purpose well. Reasonably priced for Barcelona. Within easy walking distance to everywhere we needed to go. Laundromat several blocks away - "Splash". They have a room for keeping your luggage if you arrive early or need to store it after you check out. We had a room in the front with balcony overlooking the street - a little noisy but not too excessive.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Centric, Director de Recepción at Hostal Centric, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Thank you very much for your kind review. You know what? I love SPLASH. Hope to see you again in the future^^.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

I wonder how you would feel...Allow me to give you some background, so that you get the full picture. I am (in years at least) a "middle-aged" woman traveling to a foreign country for the first time...and traveling alone for the first time as well. Maybe I'm more stupid than brave...I have a certain spirit of adventure, but I am also rather quiet and shy if you can make any sense of that. I don't make noise and I never ever leave a mess behind. I felt that I'd found a perfect place to stay at Hostel Centric. Here are the positives: l was greeted nicely by the staff and was offered cake for the Feast Day of St Joan. My room--while small--was lovely, clean, and modern. It was tastefully decorated and had a nice balcony facing the street. The bed was firm yet comfortable. The room was equipped with many energy-saving features (I approve!!!) The first night I went to bed fairly early after exploring a bit. Therefore, I was up bright and early the following morning...maybe it was 6:30 or 7:30. The gentleman at the desk (the older, probably, of the two) asked whether I was checking out. I answered that I intended to stay another night. (Trust me, it was not a language-related misunderstanding.) One is instructed to always leave the key at the desk when going out...makes sense: no lost keys. I made double-time exploring beautiful Barcelona on foot all day (wish I'd worn a pedometer or that mileage could be estimated by blisters.) When I got back at about 6PM though, the other young man informed me that my belongings had been packed up because I had failed to check out on time. What I surmise may have happened is that the first gentleman failed to check to see if the room had been booked when I said I wished to stay another night. At that point, if he had explained (or REALIZED and explained,) I'd have felt like it was too bad. But, I would have understood and could have found another room well-before sunset. However, after a long, very tiring (but absolutely wonderful) day of walking, swimming, getting rained on...even being asked for directions (me!!! Now THAT'S laughable,) getting that bit of information quite literally made me cry. The younger gentleman, who was left to break the news, did everything within his power to make things right. He found me another room owned by the same company and he called a cab for me. He was sympathetic without taking sides in the matter. What was NOT within his power was to pay for my cab or to arrange the same low rate for my new room, though he DID ask them only to charge for a single. So, not only did I sort of feel like I'd been "rejected," I also paid €10 for cab and €10 extra for the replacement room (in the heart of Las Rambas--great for the "party-people, but less so for me.) This room is also clean, safe, and has all the necessities...but it's smaller and lacks the charm. The gentleman at the front desk here at Pension Fernando gave me a 10% discount also...but it was still the same additional money mentioned previously. I have zero doubt in my mind that I said I was staying another night. I remember mentioning that I might even wish to stay two more. One last thing: How would you feel if the staff packed your things? I felt almost "violated" for lack of a better word.

Room Tip: This is an easy place to miss, even if you are staying there. Make a good mental note of a few near...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Centric, Director de Recepción at Hostal Centric, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear guest,

I am sorry for all the inconvenience caused. Although you seem to be reluctant, I can not figure out any other reason than a language misunderstanding as we were already fully booked for the day you intended to extend your reservation for. Furthermore, extending a reservation implies a new prepayment and the printing of an updated welcome card that reflects such a change and neither the prepayment was made nor the new welcome card was issued. Again, I am not saying that you did anything wrong, but I am positive that there was no confirmation of the extension on our behalf.

Now, regarding the clearly uncomfortable situation of having a room booked which has not been checked out yet at 16:00 in the afternoon, while check-out time is 11:00. Let me give you some background: The Housekeeping maids leave at 17:00 and I gave instructions to the Front desk Staff and also the Housekeping to leave everything untouched until 16:00, one hour before the last maid leaves the Hotel. The staff contacted me after 16:00 and since we had no further news from you I personally authorized them to tidy up all your staff only to be able to clean up the room for the new coming customer. However, all of your baggage was left in the room and safety box was left untouched, hoping that you arrived before the new coming guest did. This operation was performed by two members of the staff, as a guarantee for your belongings but also for our Staff.

I also asked to be warned if you did not arrive by 18:30 because you might have had a bigger problem and we would have checked with Emergencies if you had been taken to hospital or something. You finally showed up before that given deadline (around 18:00) and Matías did all the best to explain you which was the situation and the steps we had taken, and that I have no problem to state here for your knowledge. We also managed to keep a Room for you at Hostal Fernando without any guarantee that you would finally show up.

If I had to do it again I would do it exactly the same way.

I did not have the pleasure to know each other. I know, because I was told, that you were deeply disappointed and sad when you reached back the Hotel and realized which was the situation. I read all of your review and got written confirmation from the related staff of the events.

Finally, whatever the cause I am really sorry with all this. I hope that you happen to understand our position. We have taken note and will try that this thing never happen again by reconfirming the today-checking-out-guest which is the check-out time whenever they pass by the Front Desk.

Do not hesitate to contact me for any further information.

Best regards,

Albert Guijarro Turegano
Front Desk Manager
HOSTAL CENTRIC
Barcelona
Rijeka, Croatia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

Hostal Centric is a nice little hostal in perfect position for exploring the city. You can go almost everywhere by foot. If You do not like to walk, there are 3 metro stations very close to the hotel. Station for aerobus from airport is also within few minutes walking, which was great for us. There are also grocery shops, bakeries, restaurants and bars arround the hotel. Rooms are spotless, cleaned every day. We stayed in room 102 on first floor and it was a bit noisy during the night. A big plus was therefore an aircondition in the room - You can close the window and than the noise is not so bad.
What makes this hotel different from all the others are guys working at reception - being very friendly and helpfull troughout our stay.
Definitely to recommend!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review. We always do our best to fulfill your expectations and sometimes we even exceed them. I just love when this happens. Hope to see you again in the future^^.
Cotswolds,England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

What a find. Great value in a really useful location for getting to all the best places. The spotless room was all you need but not massive, of course. Room & shower (hot & powerful) were kept just as spotless with plenty of towels throughout our stay. Without exception, the pleasant guys on the desk were really friendly & helpful, with good advice when asked. You can rely on their suggestion of breakfast at Moritz around the corner, it's a great place - didn't take up their deal but it did look a worthwhile offer. Free modern room safe and free reliable wi-fi, both vital. They have secure storage for your luggage after check-out. Would rebook on a budget like a shot.

Room Tip: Only criticism would be that even on the third floor it was a little noisy, but you are in the middl...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

It is located in downtown and is perfect to go around. The Wifi is very strong and we have no problem at all. All staff are nice, pleasant and helpful. This in not only hostal which looks like a four stars hotel. We are very pleased with our stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Hostal Centric was great! The guys on the front desk were really friendly and helpful. The room was a reasonable size for a city centre hotel and was very quiet. It had a proper window that opened and looked out the back of the hotel. There's no breakfast in the hotel but breakfast at Moritz round the corner was fab. The location was good too. About 10 mins walk to Placa Catalunya, few mins to Metro and some nice places to eat nearby. The airport bus left from two mins away from the hotel which was really convenient. The shower temperature was a bit erratic, but otherwise well recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hostal Centric? Share your experiences!