“Business hotel.....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Fairmont Rey Juan Carlos I

You added Fairmont Rey Juan Carlos I to your Saves list
Fairmont Rey Juan Carlos I
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Diagonal 661 - 671, 08028 Barcelona, Spain (Les Corts)   |
Ranked #345 of 518 Hotels in Barcelona
Rickmansworth, United Kingdom
“Business hotel.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

had a 3 night stay with work, had stayed before in 2003 and it's not changed!
The location is not great as its a 20 euro taxi to the city centre but it's near the airport!!!
The hotel is large and offers some great facilities.
I used the indoor pool which needs a re fit it's pretty tardy and I decided to get out quick when I spotted and electrical cable on the pool floor from one of the pool lights.
Some wear to the room, carpets just about worn out and I had a broken shower screen. But very clean and even though dated I saw no reason to complain.
If you are staying over for business it's perfect, if you want to get into the city I would recommend another hotel.

Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
GuestrelationsHotel, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Fairmont Rey Juan Carlos I, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing your opinion regarding your recent stay in Fairmont Rey Juan Carlos I.

All your opinions concerning our establishment are more than welcome and help us to improve our day-to-day work.

Your comments will be shared with all the departments concerned and be kindly informed that for next year we are going to start a complete refurbishment of all the rooms, so we take good note about your suggestions.

Regarding your comment about the location, we would like to add that in just 15 minutes with public transport you can arrive to the city center. Furthermore, we have very good access with an underground stop in 5 minutes from the entrance of the hotel and some bus stops nearby.

We hope to welcome you next time you come to Barcelona.

Wishing you happy Christmas!

Guest Services Dpt.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
NY, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed here as it was the conference hotel; it was fine. The building is unique "trendy" for the 70's which can make for funky but the bed is possibly the most uncomfortable rock I've ever slept on; actually I've slept on rocks; I'd prefer them to this slab with its 2 "pillows" I suspect it was just 6 or 7 pillow cases stuffed into one another. Yes I requested more, no they never arrived - I was there for a week! Alright enough complaints because the rest of the room was great, huge, oh I forgot about the worn path in the carpet (see picture) but the rest of the room was very good. Tremendous closet space; bathroom with all the bells & whistles; good work desk; huge widow with view of the pool & polo grounds; mini sofa...I was worried when I checked in that the room would never cool. It was mid-afternoon in the blazing Barcelona sun & I thought I'll be sleeping in an oven. Turned the A/C fan unit on to the lowest temperature as I could get it; closed the drapes, took a cool shower, woke up shivering an hour later!
The pool was great, the pool side & area dinning is delicious as is the inside dinning but they know they have you so be prepared to $$$$$ for everything at this hotel; they really do take advantage: $28 for a sandwich (see picture, it was tasty but…)? That is taking advantage.
But I agree with the other reviewers that the staff really could not be nicer and make every effort to accommodate your needs and trust me the hotel was packed when I was there; the conference I was attending had +3,000 attendees. I held lunches, dinners, a reception for several hundred people and there were not any problems until check out time...
After a week of pleasant service, despite never getting pillows (I just used the couch cushions) I went to check out & head to the airport. It was early morning, around 8am, not 3 am (which I've had to do) but early. There were 2 people on duty behind the desk and a few people in line, fine...line is moving slowly but there's only 2 of them. It's my turn & I ask to check out they say of that's not here, you need to go there & point to their left, my right; I see nothing but a dark counter that has a "cashier" sign on it, nobody there. I go back & ask if that is right, nobody there, need to catch a plane, trying to check out, pre-paid but wanted to be sure I was settled. With great 'that's not my job" attitude the woman snaps at her male colleague in Spanish and they have a lengthy conversation, including text messaging someone. I do not speak Spanish so I give them the benefit that perhaps they are trying to find the missing colleague; may hotel policy does not allow them to go behind the "cashier" desk.. all sorts of scenarios. I'm standing at the counter & there's nobody else waiting to be helped but I'm told to go have a seat & wait a minute; OK...? 5 minutes later I go back to the desk as I've been watching them answer the phone (fine) text (fine?) and currently seem to be just talking to each other. I approach & before I can say anything she says: "Yes, can I help you?" I pick my jaw up off the ground and say I've been trying to check out for the last 10 minutes, can you help me and please do not send me to the cashier they are still not there and clearly you have given up searching for them. Eyes & a sigh "room #"? A few minutes later a multi-page bill is put in front of me with a pen; she & her colleague have not stopped talking to each other since she acquiesced to help me; good thing I read before I sign as there was a 7,000Euro bill in front of me! I say excuse me but this is wrong, more sighing, she had to put her cell phone down, goodness! They had (let's say) accidentally converted(?) all my pre-paid deposits as current charges; they are the ones who figures out what had happened but no apology for the error & this whole process tool over 30 minutes and not even a thank you for staying with us as I left. It wasn't until I looked at my pictures that I remember the rather pleasant week enjoyed there but I WILL NEVER stay there again!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
GuestrelationsHotel, Guest Services at Fairmont Rey Juan Carlos I, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Ms. Carrie C,
First of all, let us thank you very much for taking the time to post your experience of your recent stay at our Hotel Fairmont Rey Juan Carlos I.
We are glad to learn that you enjoyed our facilities, especially our large outdoor swimming pool and our Spa & Fitness Center. We really appreciate your kind words about our staff as well.
Guests’ satisfaction has always been our main goal, so it is a really matter of regret to read that you didn’t enjoy our bed and you suffered this isolated misunderstanding during checkout time.
Let me communicate you that during 2015 we will start with a complete refurbishment of the rooms, so your comments are a really valuable for us.
We really hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back again.
Guest Service Department
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed for three nights on business. Room was a large suite which was very comfortable

Bar was upmarket - did not use the restaurant

Location is a challenge - a medium taxi ride from the marina and other tourist areas - of course taxis are cheap in Barcelona

Very close walking distance to nou camp stadium

Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
GuestrelationsHotel, Guest Services at Fairmont Rey Juan Carlos I, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear guest,

First and foremost thank you very much for having stayed with us and for your comments here on tripadvisor community.

It is a pleasure for us to hear your kind words about your stay and that you have found comfortable the spacious suite and our strategic location as a urban resort hotel.

We hope to welcome you back to Fairmont Rey Juan Carlos I hopefully not in a too distant future.

Best Regards from Barcelona.

Guest Services Team.
Dusseldorf, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Went there for business, and it was the worst place going to for a long time. The outside looks like a refurbished air-raid shelter, but maybe that is suposed to modern architecture. The rooms are small and update in the late 90s for the last time. The internet connection is terrible but at least for free. The most ridiculious part of the hotel are the prices in the bar. For example a single mainstream whiskey is around EUR 14 a regular local beer about EUR 8,50. Also the service is slow and incompetant and seems not really to care about the guests. I will never ever go back and will warn anyone going to Barcelona staying is this overpriced and badly run hotel.

Room Tip: as high as possible if you like to sleep at night, low level rooms are very noisy from bar area.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
GuestrelationsHotel, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Fairmont Rey Juan Carlos I, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Mr Pulleyo,

First of all, thank you for sharing with TripAdvisor community your experience at our Hotel Fairmont Rey Juan Carlos I.

We appreciate your opinion as your review helps us to see where we have to improve. This is very important for us because our main goal is providing the best service to our guests, we regret to hear that we could not fulfill your expectations.

Just for your information, I would like to point out that the building, designed by Carlos Ferrater, was awarded with the National Prize of Architecture of Spain in 1992 and was a part of the history of the Olympic Games of Barcelona of the same year. We are very proud of our Hotel but we can understand that arts can be felt and understood different for each person.

In addition, I would like to let you know that for the next year we are about to start a complete refurbishment of the rooms, so your comments are a really valuable for us.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and hope you could give us another opportunity to delight you during your next stay with us.

Cordially,

Guest Services Department
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The Fiarmont Rey Juan Carlos I very much surprised me. From the reception to the cleaning staff to the restaurant and the concierge/doormen, it is a very well-run hotel at a very reasonable price. We registered quickly and efficiently, the room was luxurious with both a bathtub and a shower. The quality of the accessories was excellent. The bed king-size and very comfortable. We ate breakfast every morning in the restaurant where the selection is varied and the service friendly and efficient. We ate twice in the evenings; the cuisine is creative, good and again great service.
A special thanks to the employees at the entry. They went out of their way to give us instructions on where to go and get a taxi. We found Jordi particularly helpful. He went out of his way to get us beach towels and always had a smile, making your feel welcomed and at home.
While this hotel is not in the center, the only drawback, it is near a metro station and taxis are always available. The grounds are very nice with a small park to relax in and a pool to enjoy. A good choice for anyone who would like to relax in a luxurious environment at a very affordable price.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
GuestrelationsHotel, Guest Services at Fairmont Rey Juan Carlos I, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Chris W,

Thank you for posting this very kind review about your present stay at our Fairmont Rey Juan Carlos I. Reviews such as this are always very uplifting for all our staff.

Let us invite to try our Executive Floor on your next trip to Barcelona. Rooms are spacious with a free access to a private lounge where you will experience another side of hotel Rey Juan Carlos I. We offer 5 different gastronomic representations during the day with a selection of cold and hot drinks which you can delight in and can meet your expectations, fast and free Wi-Fi and personal assistance in all you need.

We look very much forward to your next visit and hope to make each experience better than the previous one. It will be a pleasure to welcoming you back soon.

Our best regards from Barcelona,

Guest Services Team
Brussels
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The Juan Carlos hotel has a quite common modern architecture. Its location is a bit in the outskirts and the surroundings are not beautiful. So do not expect to walk around, you'll need to take the metro or a taxi to reach the nice parts of the town. The garden is however nice, with a beautiful large swimming pool. It has also a polo club, for the happy few. Because of a mistake in the booking, I ended up in the royal suite, accessible via a private lift. It's huge (450 square meters), but not particularly beautiful: the taste is more suited for Gulf countries standards than for European standards. The breakfast is ok and the wifi in the hotel is quite fast.

All in all, clearly a business hotel. For people visiting Barcelona, hotels closer to the centre can be a better and more charming choice.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Dear angelbe,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your past stay in our Fairmont Rey Juan Carlos I with all tripadvisors users.

It is very nice to know that you could experience our Royal Suite. We are happy to let you know that next year we will start with a complete Hotel renovation. Do not hesitate to follow us through our social networks.

We are pleased to inform you that our Resort is located in the main business area of Barcelona very close to a well-known shopping mall called El Corte Inglès and L'Illa Diagonal. Furthermore, in just 10 minutes’ walk from the hotel, you can find Pedralbes Gardens, green area with fountains and places to sit and relax surrounded of nature.
Thank you again for choosing us for your stay in Barcelona and we do hope of welcoming you back soon,

Guest Services Team
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2014

This is the second year in a row that I have stayed here on business. It is such a pity that such a beautiful city is ruined by this hotel. The service is terrible in all respects. Very over priced bar as well as unfriendly waiters. I would give it 3 star maximum. Never again.

Stayed November 2014
GuestrelationsHotel, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Fairmont Rey Juan Carlos I, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Patrick S,
Thank you very much for posting your review about your last stay in Fairmont Rey Juan Carlos I.
We take special care of each of our guests and we appreciate your opinion as it helps us to see which areas needs more attention. We assure you that we will pass your comment to the management in order to give you the service according to our standards.
We hope you could give us another opportunity as a Fairmont Rey Juan Carlos I in the near future.
Cordially,

Guest Services Dpt.

Been to Fairmont Rey Juan Carlos I? Share your experiences!