“Hard to believe that this hotel carries a 4 star rating!” 2 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rambla Catalunya 26, 08007 Barcelona, Spain   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #140 of 516 hotels in Barcelona
London, United Kingdom
“Hard to believe that this hotel carries a 4 star rating!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We arrived at the hotel at about 11.00pm local time on the 27th July 2012. The member of staff at reception who checked us in did not greet us and there was no assistance or even offer of assistance with our luggage. I would expect such an offer at least in a four star hotel. The reception area in general appeared tired and dated with no welcoming atmosphere.

We made our way to the room and immediately noticed that it was a twin room rather than a double room which I had originally booked. My partner telephoned reception and the member of staff that answered assured him that the matter would be rectified the following morning.
The problems with the room did not stop there. The cleanliness was well short of acceptable standards for even a basic hotel. There was a thick layer of dust on the top surface of the desk / dressing table. There was soap scum on the tray of toiletries in the bathroom (Please see photos). It being the night of the Olympics Opening Ceremony, we put on the TV only to find that the reception was appalling on every channel. I find this totally bizarre in a city hotel in 2012 and one which carries a rating of 4 stars.
When we went to bed, they creaked very loudly when we got into them. My partners bed moved away from the wall by about a foot when he got in despite the brakes on the casters being applied (I have a photograph to show this).
The following morning, after a fairly sleepless night due the noise made by the beds each time either of us moved, I went to reception to see if they could let me know when we could change room. Both members of staff at reception were less than accommodating and seemed very distant and disinterested. They had not even been informed that we had been promised a room change the night before. Instead of trying to deal with the issue, they simply argued that I had booked a twin room according to their records (which was not true) and that all they could offer was another twin room to deal with the other issues that I had raised. They did not appear at all interested in my concerns and tried to brush away my complaints.

We then moved into our new room which appeared cleaner in fairness to the hotel. The air conditioning was not as effective and only 1 of the 2 air conditioning vents worked. Whilst this was not a concern to us, I imagine other customers at the hotel would have found such a failure to make the room feel very stuffy. The bed (singular) was unfortunately still rather creaky and bizarrely this time the casters were not secured with their brakes so it rolled out away from the wall yet again. I should also add that despite my complaint, no assistance was offered in relation to moving our bags from room to room, nor did a member of staff have the decency to show us the new room to ensure it was acceptable. Again, the room’s TV reception was very poor.
The standards during our nine night stay did not improve. I found the daily clean of the room to be rather substandard. On each day the cleaners left used glasses of water by the bed as they had been left. One of the later days of our stay, we returned to find the used bar of soap had been thrown into the toilet rather than being disposed of properly.
Lack of cleanliness did not end in the rooms; carpets in the corridors were tired and dirty and did not seem to be vacuumed regularly. The cramped rooftop pool was far from clean with scum floating on the top of the water, a child's medical plaster being left by the poolside for three days, and a lot of hair floating in the pool. The state of the pool was still very bad on the day we checked out of the hotel. I also have photos showing this.

All in all, we left this hotel feeling very disappointed and regretful for choosing it. The only positive point I can give is the hotel’s central location.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

671 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

We visited Barcelona for a short visit and I must say that staying at a good hotel makes such a difference. First of all the location is perfect..Away from the main Las Ramblas but a close enough walk and the neighborhood is so nice. Great restaurants right outside the hotel and nice small shops too. Service was good at the hotel.Only thing I wish they had was a pot to make tea/coffee in the morning in the room.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with NH Hoteles

Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

On entering this hotel I found it very clean and modern. The staff were polite and efficient (not overly friendly) checked us in and off we went to our room which was big, clean and the bathroom was awesome, if you are wondering where the full length mirror is, its behind the fake door in the hall! The bed was very comfy and the AC was adequate. We were on the 6th floor and it was perfect, no noise even tho it was a stones throw from the main street, Las Ramblas. The room was cleaned every day and one of my favourite things about this hotel was that they provided a toothbrush, toothpaste, razor and shaving cream along with the usual shampoo, shower gel and body lotion! I try never to bring anything other than carry on luggage so this was a real treat for me not to have to go and find a shop at ten at night so I could brush my teeth!! They also have a luggage area if you want to store it after you've checked out. Overall it was a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Blackpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

We recently returned after staying here for 3 nights, 19th July to 22nd July.

We arrived early and couldn't check in until 3pm, but they were happy to take our luggage off us so we could go and explore before check in.
We didn't go too far, just to the street cafe across the road (Piscolabis) and ate the tastiest Tapa's we have ever had, it was delicious...Fantastic start!

We checked into the room, which was on the second floor Room 205, clean, good size & comfy beds, plus we had the biggest Balcony I have ever seen looking over onto Rambla de Catalunya
Only downsides were we wanted a Double, but it was a Twin and there were no sunloungers on the Balcony, bit of a waste really
There are only two rooms in the entire hotel with these huge balconies (before you all go expecting one!!)

The staff are friendly enough, but their English is perhaps a bit limited, we had a leak from the bathroom ceiling on Sat night and reported it, but it was still leaking on Sunday when we left, So not sure the receptionist understood us!

We didn't get to go to the Pool, although we had planned to sunbathe in the mornings on the Sat and Sun, but the weather was quite cloudy, so we had a lie in instead!

No real noise from the other guests, there is a door between the room and the little hallway adjoining to the bathroom which really helps cut down noise.
Slept really well...

Barcelona is fabulous, we bought a Barcelona Card for 4 days which made it easy to get from the airport and travel on the subway & local buses.

We did pay for a Turistica Bus Tour on top of this as well, and it was worth it as we spent 6 hours going round Barcelona, hopping on and off at the sites we wanted to see.

In the evenings, Place de la Catalunya then onto Las Rambla's is always buzzing, and you are spoilt for choice with restaurants and bars.
We particularly liked the Gothic Quarter.

We would stay here again if we go back, the location was perfect!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Perfectly situated on the Ramblas de Catalunya. Two blocks from the Placa Catalunya, walking distance to Sagrada Familia, and just around the corner from a Metro stop. Right outside the door are numerous tapas restaurants to choose from. Yes, the breakfast is expensive, but we never even tried it because of all the convenient places around the Calderon. The staff were professional and courteous, and there was always someone at the desk who spoke English. The hotel was clean, inviting, and the room was surprisingly spacious. Oh, and the rooftop pool offers pretty amazing views! Would absolutely recommend this place!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
San Juan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

NH is a wonderful hotel I stayed from june 27-29 then again july 6 for a night after the cruise. We arrived early in the morning and they have a room available and we got it very early . The room was very nice decorated and clean and quite large for Europe standards, the modern bathroom was very large with a separate area for the toilet and the shower. the only drawback about the room as that the bed I asked for a single full or queen bed , were two singles was my partner was not so happy and the mattress is a bit hard but nothing that was we cannot handle. There is no ice machine in the floor but you can call room service and they delivered couple of buckets. The staff is very friendly and accomodating!! The swimming pool is on the top floor and the attendants there are really friendly and nice. (watch .....they close the amenities at 9PM so you cannot use them if you arrive later!!) I did not use the breakfast option I thought was a bit pricey around 18 Euro/person when you can have breakfast in the suroundings! Overall is a great hotel, excellent location within walking distance of most attractions and I will stay again there next time in Barcelona

Room Tip: if you want a full or a single queen bed you have to tell them in advance and be aware that 2 single...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

This hotel is in a perfect location if you want to explore the city. You are right on Rambla Catalunya, and the beach is a pleasant, if extended walk down Las Ramblas. Right outside the hotel are bars and restaurants selling all manner of different food. Also just along the street are a couple of banks with cashpoints outside - handy if you want to get money and whip it back to the safe quickly.

The hotel has it's own bar and restaurant - though we only used the former, before heading out to our pre-arranged events. 16 of us had gone out for a mate's stag do - and around 10 of us were staying in this hotel.

I shared a twin room which looked out onto Rambla Catalunya (room E4) The room was clean, modern, with a super comfy bed (in fact, the best bed I've experienced in a hotel for some time). Our bathroom was huge, with a nice spacious walk-in shower. There was no need to take a lot of toiletries. In fact, if you were travelling alone, all you might need is your deodorant, as toothbrush, toothpaste, shower gel, shampoo, and even a sponge, disposable razor and shaving cream are all supplied. The room had a safe, and plenty of space to put things.

The only downside for me was that during one afternoon, I felt a little sick (perhaps a bit of sunstroke), and wanted to go back to my room - but when I did go back, the maid was still cleaning - this was at 15:45. I left it half an hour, and when I went back, the room was spotless, and smelt really clean - so I can forgive the lateness, owing to the thoroughness!

If I went back to Barcelona, I would likely stay here again.

Room Tip: Room E4 looks out onto Rambla Catalunya, and has a huge bathroom.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to NH Calderon? Share your experiences!