“5 star boutique hotel with fabulous roof top pool” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ohla Hotel

You added Ohla Hotel to your Saves list
Ohla Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Laietana 49, 08003 Barcelona, Spain (El Barri Gòtic)   |
Ranked #23 of 518 Hotels in Barcelona
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“5 star boutique hotel with fabulous roof top pool”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We have just returned from a 4 night break at Ohla Hotel.

The hotel is perfectly situated in the centre of Barcelona with only a few minutes walk from some of the big squares, las ramblas and shopping areas.

We stayed in a design room which was a lovely size and the bed was huge and extremely comfy. The wardrobe had plenty storage space and the shower was fantastic. Check in was a breeze and we were given a lovely glass of chilled cava upon arrival. Unfortunately our room was not ready when we arrived at 2PM but we only had to wait for an hour and went straight up to the rooftop pool while we waited – this was the best part of the hotel for me -. It boasted beautiful views of the city and the pool was a perfect size to chill in the sunshine with sun loungers and large sofa areas. I noticed a few reviewers complain about not getting a seat but we were always able to get and we stayed over a busy weekend.

The staff at the hotel were all lovely and a special recommendation to the Concierge who were fantastic, all of their restaurants they suggested were 5 star and in particular recommended one of the best Seafood Restaurants in Barcelona where we had one of the greatest meals of our life. The hotel also gave us a complimentary bottle of Cava for my partners birthday which was a lovely treat.

My only fault of the hotel would be the price of the cocktails averaging at 16 euros per cocktail. This was quite excessive considering some of the bars nearby sold cocktails for half the price. However, some of the cocktails in the bar downstairs were worth the price as they were made by a world-class cocktail maker.

During our stay we also got the chance to take part in the Cocktail Making Class which was absolutely fabulous and worth every penny!

I would definitely stay at Ohla next time I visit Barcelona and will highly recommend to all my friends and family.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Turkish first
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Wow! Well worth the money. From the moment we walked in the service was brilliant! Room was on the small side but nice. Roof top bar views are amazing and staff can t do enough for you. I really don t mind paying for somewhere where this attention to service and detail is this good.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dayton, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

We stayed for four nights and were very pleased with the hotel location, room cleanliness and comfort, staff attentiveness, and overall experience.

The rooftop pool is pretty but small, and the views from it are spectacular. I would recommend this hotel!

Stayed July 2014
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights and we were so excited based on pictures and reviews. However, for the price, I wasn't overly impressed with the detail. I've stayed in other hotels around the same price point and the difference, and what i expect from a 5 star hotel, is a real attention to detail - little touches like chocolates, exceptional service and a concierge who is tapped into all the little gems.
The service here was hit and miss.
The concierge recommended one of the most touristy spots in Barcelona for lunch and it was awful. We didn't bother asking for any more recommendations.
Our first morning, we headed to breakfast but had to wait 10 minutes for a table as it was full. The food offering was OK but we'd had similar offerings in 3 star hotels in other parts of spain.
The rooftop bar and pool (a major reason why we booked this hotel over others) was closed from 10pm on the Friday night for a function which was also really disappointing.
We had a complimentary bottle of cava included in the Mr&Mrs Smith booking but had to chase it up as they had 'forgotten' and hadn't mentioned it.
Also, when we were checking out, the service was rushed and there was no enquiry about whether we enjoyed our stay we were just told the bill and goodbye.
The positives were a great bed and great location so we could walk everywhere.
Would choose other 5 star hotels in Barcelona over this one.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
annaalbuixech, Director General at Ohla Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Sir,

Let me start by extending our most sincere apologies for the fact that your stay at Ohla was not as you expected. As you quite rightly said, we have good reviews published by our guests, because we strive to exceed the expectations of all our guests every day. For that reason, I am very surprised especially with your comments about the concierge department and reception department because they are two of our best-scored services. For that reason, I would appreciate if you could give me the dates when you stayed with us in order to find out what exactly happened and which event we had in the terrace, which did not allow opening the terrace to our guests. I would like to write you an answer with all the details. No excuses but more information because I deeply regret that we were unable to offer the service you expected.

Meanwhile, I remain at your disposal for anything you may need.

Yours sincerely,

Anna Albuixech
Maidstone
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

We came back for our anniversary after spending part of our honeymoon here. The suite we booked was beautiful, no different to last time and I honestly cannot fault it. The food in the brasserie is great, a very different spin on traditional tapas and the wine list is good. I cannot recommend this hotel enough. You have to stay there , swim in the pool, and then go and walk around the old town. Truly lovely...

• Stayed June 2014
Hertfordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

If you like minimalism and ultra modern, then this hotel won't disappoint. I prefer something with a bit more character. The hotel was very clean and stylish, but everywhere was so black! Our room was nice (and mostly black!). A huge bed with open plan bathroom. The shower was not very private as the glass was not obscured, but my friend was kind enough to turn the other way :)
The staff were of the highest quality (to be expected in a 5 star hotel). They were really kind, friendly and helpful. The rooftop terrace is lovely with great views. 3.50 euros for a glass of water is a bit steep though.
Breakfast was nice, but I've experienced better in other 5 star hotels. You have to get your own tea and coffee and can only order one cooked item, if you want more you have to pay more!
Location was really good, short walk from the Cathedral, La Rambla, The Picasso Museum and the lovely Born District.
Don't be put off, it is a lovely hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a more private shower - if they have any!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

The location of this hip hotel is fantastic and is in walking distance of most things. It is ultra cool and the Design rooms are great although, as others have said, the glass shower in the middle of the room is not for the shy!

The Michelin star restaurant is highly recommended - really special. I had the suckling pig - the best I'd ever had. Beautifully presented and faultless. Breakfasts were good and the staff were lovely.

The one criticism is the rooftop terrace where there is simply not enough sunbeds and what are there are crammed together giving no privacy. I know it is difficult due to lack of space but I suggest they take out the white seating areas as they take up too much space.... Just a thought.

However, the most impressive thing about this lovely hotel is the staff!! Everyone is special - efficient, friendly and committed to giving guests the highest quality service. Utterly fabulous!

Room Tip: Higher floors - I was in 607 and have no complaints!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Been to Ohla Hotel? Share your experiences!